Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    it cost £250,000 to train a medical student (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...rs-513659.html) you personally are not paying for all of it.

1 or 2 years work is not really paying back that investment.

clinical placements - to be honest, generally you are more in the way than contributing to the care of the patients at the point in your studies.

there are way too many graduates as it is. the extra places that have been opened up in the recent past will be graduating soon. where will they go? there are also not enough f1 and f2 jobs. they beginning to decrease jobs at junior level and already decreasing jobs at more senior levels. some trusts are firing consultants.

school leavers should seriously reconsider choosing medicine as a career.

(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    The amount that students pay towards a medical course does not total the amount of money this course costs. The tax payers pay for a lot of it. And how is doing/not doing an F1/2 placement a benefit?

And clinical placements are not helping out in the hospital at all. Most of the time it's more of a hindrance than a help.

Basically, an increase in numbers just wouldn't work, whether they went abroad or not. Why do you think the government sets a specific quota on the amount of spaces for medicine?
    :erm: :holmes: Well...... I'm not reconsidering. I have made up my mind to do Medicine and I think I shall pursue it. I do not wish to live my life always thinking.

You girls do raise some valid points though.

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    considering there aren't enough F1 places.....I doubt there will be any more medical schools opening for a very long time yet....

not to mention all the financial restraints.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alia)
    Is there?
    Peninsula, UEA, Keele, Hull-York, BSMS were all the new ones to open because more doctors where needed .... now they dont need any more doctors so i doubt they would open any more. If they did need more doctors, it would be more likely that Warwick and Swansea would start to do undergrad medicine as they already do grad medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Didn't realise I could do that
    Yup :yep:

What is your current position/status in the whole Medicine/Medical stuff anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Yup :yep:

What is your current position/status in the whole Medicine/Medical stuff anyway?
    :erm: doing AS year atm, (Year 12), so will apply in October of this year if that's what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    :erm: doing AS year atm, (Year 12), so will apply in October of this year if that's what you mean
    Yup!:cute:

Same here! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Yup!:cute:

Same here! :yy:
    Cool - when do you plan to do your UKCAT?

Buckingham Medical School is likely to be the only new school for the next few years - it's a private university so they can charge whatever they want and they won't be offering an A-level entry route - only graduate entry to medicine degrees starting in 2013.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Buckingham Medical School is likely to be the only new school for the next few years - it's a private university so they can charge whatever they want and they won't be offering an A-level entry route - only graduate entry to medicine degrees starting in 2013.
    Wow i cant believe that. I bet no one will go there though because of their fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alia)
    im male bro.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-hor...ood-swings.htm

"For men, mood swings caused by hormones result from a combination of elevated levels of cortisol and depressed levels of testosterone."

:teeth:

Spoiler:
    Show
    NB: This point is only valid if males have sex hormone cycles and that coristol/testosterone are affected... I think they do and are but I dunno. Still. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm really sorry to be annoying and applicant-y, but what's Norwich is like as a city? I mean, is it a good place to spend ~5 years (as in is there stuff to do/a nightlife/decent supermarkets)? I'm in France during the open day so I can't visit it but I really like the look of East Anglia's med course.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Oh wow, how recently was this news released? I remember looking a few months ago and seeing they still only offered the MD programme thing.

(Original post by ryan118244)
    Wow i cant believe that. I bet no one will go there though because of their fees.
    I don't know - if you are from a family that paid £25-30k a year for boarding school then you have access to reasonably deep pockets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I don't know - if you are from a family that paid £25-30k a year for boarding school then you have access to reasonably deep pockets
    True, but then I think that's such an unfair system to have.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Hey, I'm really sorry to be annoying and applicant-y, but what's Norwich is like as a city? I mean, is it a good place to spend ~5 years (as in is there stuff to do/a nightlife/decent supermarkets)? I'm in France during the open day so I can't visit it but I really like the look of East Anglia's med course.
    Errrm I really like it It's fairly small, but it's still big enough to have most chains that I can think of, and boutiques and stuff unique to Norwich. I'm perfectly happy spending 5 years here :p: It has a decent nightlife, both on campus, and a whole road dedicated to nightclubs and the like in town Supermarket wise, I order an online shop as delivery is cheaper than a return ticket into town, and you can order more :p: There's at least one store for all the major supermarkets, some closer than others (a small Tesco express and a Co-op are just up the road as well) Most students on campus do deliveries AFAIK - it's difficult to carry all your shopping back home with you, and as it's difficult for a student to be allowed a car on campus, most leave them at home. And yeah, the course I really like too. If you have any more specific questions, it's probably best to PM me

(Original post by Beska)
    Oh wow, how recently was this news released? I remember looking a few months ago and seeing they still only offered the MD programme thing.
    I heard about it a couple of months ago but I don't know when the programme was announced.

It will be interesting to see how it develops - Buckingham developed a really strong reputation for its law school with access to leading luminaries for guest lectures etc, strong academic staff, no PhD students teaching their classes, very small class sizes and 1-2-1 tutorials. If its the same for medicine, and the facilities are half decent, those with deep pockets will be attracted I'm sure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JCM89)
    It will be interesting to see how it develops - Buckingham developed a really strong reputation for its law school with access to leading luminaries for guest lectures etc, strong academic staff, no PhD students teaching their classes, very small class sizes and 1-2-1 tutorials. If its the same for medicine, and the facilities are half decent, those with deep pockets will be attracted I'm sure.
    If it's GMC accredited I think it'll be a very attractive option, I agree!

I know this question might have an obvious answer that I'm missing, but can you only use the SLC for public universities? Would you have to cough up the fees for Buckingham yourself, without the help of deferred payments?

(Original post by Beska)
    If it's GMC accredited I think it'll be a very attractive option, I agree!

I know this question might have an obvious answer that I'm missing, but can you only use the SLC for public universities? Would you have to cough up the fees for Buckingham yourself, without the help of deferred payments?
    Theyre currently seeking GMC accreditation of their GEM course.

Being an impoverished git and never having considered a private uni, I only know what it says on their website but it looks like some funding is available on the same basis as public universities.

ReputationRep:
    Errrm I really like it It's fairly small, but it's still big enough to have most chains that I can think of, and boutiques and stuff unique to Norwich. I'm perfectly happy spending 5 years here :p: It has a decent nightlife, both on campus, and a whole road dedicated to nightclubs and the like in town Supermarket wise, I order an online shop as delivery is cheaper than a return ticket into town, and you can order more :p: There's at least one store for all the major supermarkets, some closer than others (a small Tesco express and a Co-op are just up the road as well) Most students on campus do deliveries AFAIK - it's difficult to carry all your shopping back home with you, and as it's difficult for a student to be allowed a car on campus, most leave them at home. And yeah, the course I really like too. If you have any more specific questions, it's probably best to PM me
    As long as it has a Nandos, I'm good. :awesome:

Doing grocery shopping without having to lug massive bags home sounds really tempting, tbh.

I wasn't even considering UEA until I saw your posts on the 2011 applicants thread, then I had a look at the website and the course sounds absolutely amazing. UEA are lucky to have you, I wonder how many other people you've drawn into applying to the uni? :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    As long as it has a Nandos, I'm good. :awesome:

Doing grocery shopping without having to lug massive bags home sounds really tempting, tbh.

I wasn't even considering UEA until I saw your posts on the 2011 applicants thread, then I had a look at the website and the course sounds absolutely amazing. UEA are lucky to have you, I wonder how many other people you've drawn into applying to the uni? :p:
    Yes it has a Nandos And I love the convenience of ordering online. And well, applications for UEA were up this year, so I'd like to think I had some part to play :proud: :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.