Turn on thread page Beta

Cheap car insurance my ass. watch

ReputationRep:
    OK this is really getting on my nerves now. I've passed for a year now and my dad has 19 years NCB and I'm trying to be insured on a 1999 micra 1.0 litre and no I am not going to be fronting because my dad will be the main user of the car as he'll be taking it to work every day and using it most of the time. My mum also has passed 15 years ago, I've checked everywhere and the cheapest quote still is £3K, that's including comparison sites and all the other sites individually. I tried co-op and Kubic with myself and still effing £5 grand. This is pissin' me off. Anyone know any other cheap cars to try?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    OK this is really getting on my nerves now. I've passed for a year now and my dad has 19 years NCB and I'm trying to be insured on a 1999 micra 1.0 litre and no I am not going to be fronting because my dad will be the main user of the car as he'll be taking it to work every day and using it most of the time. My mum also has passed 15 years ago, I've checked everywhere and the cheapest quote still is £3K, that's including comparison sites and all the other sites individually. I tried co-op and Kubic with myself and still effing £5 grand. This is pissin' me off. Anyone know any other cheap cars to try?
    how old are you? i'm 19 and i dont drive yet but i have had quotes for 1.0L cars of around £1800 comp.

in terms of other cheap cars, the cheapest tends to be vauxhall corsas, also, you may be in an expensive postcode area?

ReputationRep:
    Might be where you live that's causing the problem.

I was able to get insured at 18 with Admiral with 1 years NCB for £900 for 10 months. That's with a 1.2 Micra with both parents on the insurance. This year it's down to about £700 for a full year with Elephant (the same people as Admiral). If you haven't, check out Admiral/Elephant/Bell as I think they're all the same people but are good for young drivers just now.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried phoning around? You'll probably be able to talk som insurers down

If your dad is going to use it for commuting, I'm guessing you've put down a fairly high annual mileage?

ReputationRep:
    Go on directline - add him as the main driver and you as the named. On all of the comparison websites it was like 5k cheapest quote for me to be a named driver on my mums policy (9 years NCB) and on direct line it went down to 1,400 - Sick.

ReputationRep:
    try co-op they're great and i live in london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)
    how old are you? i'm 19 and i dont drive yet but i have had quotes for 1.0L cars of around £1800 comp.

in terms of other cheap cars, the cheapest tends to be vauxhall corsas, also, you may be in an expensive postcode area?
    I'm 18 and live in North-East London.

(Original post by FXX)
    If your dad is going to use it for commuting, I'm guessing you've put down a fairly high annual mileage?
    Yeah I have, which is why I'm now also looking at insurance with me as the main driver and my mum and dad (Both who have licenses for 15 and 19 years respectively) as named with another car but even that is coming up as even more outrageous.
    (Original post by haloturk)
    try co-op they're great and i live in london
    I tried co-op just now and they've given me the cheapest quote of £2200 on a T reg corsa which is selling for £700. :mad2:

ReputationRep:

Yeah I have, which is why I'm now also looking at insurance with me as the main driver and my mum and dad (Both who have licenses for 15 and 19 years respectively) as named with another car but even that is coming up as even more outrageous.

I tried co-op just now and they've given me the cheapest quote of £2200 on a T reg corsa which is selling for £700. :mad2:
    That's not unreasonable tbh, I was quoted 2.2 by Admiral for a T reg astra, and I live in Cornwall.

ReputationRep:
    lol its a old car insurance companies charge more on cars older than 2002 cose of parts problems when u crash it, insurance companies have to put original parts of the car straight from the original manufacturer and no replica parts so its costs them alot of money to fix the car if u crash it and so they charge u more on insurance =/ scrap the micra they charge like 10 quid to take it away and buy a 02 + plate

ReputationRep:
    Im 19 and have a 1991 1.0l Nissan Micra Im a named driver on my dads policy and payed £550 with the AA. I have been on this policy for a year come may so will be looking for my own policy then. I don't understand why your quotes are so high?

(Original post by AgentSushi)
    Im 19 and have a 1991 1.0l Nissan Micra Im a named driver on my dads policy and payed £550 with the AA. I have been on this policy for a year come may so will be looking for my own policy then. I don't understand why your quotes are so high?
    I would imagine part of it is because you're having your insurance fronted.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Have you tried phoning around? You'll probably be able to talk som insurers down
    This is always worth a try to see if you can get the price down. I have never done it myself though.

ReputationRep:

Corsa is 1.2 am I correct? £2200 is pretty good for an 18 yo male living in London on a 1.2
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)

This isnt really the case as corsas are seen as boy racer cars, so are more expencive to insure. Just like things like astras and saxos.
    Maybe try getting quotes on a different car. Bigger cars seem cheaper to insure, as do newer cars.

ReputationRep:
    the micra is probably cause they think your frounting (same happened when i tried to get a quote for a micra) try a more unusual car you can get things a bit cheaper if its not a learner car, also if it is fully comp put the voluntary excess above the value of the car.
    on the cars front try a pug 306, and then stick a price limit within a distance on auto trader, and then get quotes for everything (except the old jags, mercs and volvos- i.e the stupidly powerful ones), note it down on a spread sheet with the cost of car and insurance and then find the balance.

ReputationRep:
    try insurethebox. they dont come up on conparison sites. but sometimes they are really good.

the only downside to insuremybox is that it has a limit of 6000 miles. after that i think you can pay as u go or if u drive sensibly, you can earn more miles.

when i say drive sensibly, its because they fit the car with a tracker (free) so they can actually measure your speed and distance travelled.

again get a quote from http://www.insurethebox.com/getaquote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I would imagine part of it is because you're having your insurance fronted.
    HaHa im not fronting. The cars in my dads name, I still live at home and we use the car about half/half, dad proberly uses it more. Even if this was deemend fronting which it isn't how on earth would they find out, everything is in my dads name and all bills refering to the car are either payed in cash or on my dads card e.g. petrol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    This isnt really the case as corsas are seen as boy racer cars, so are more expencive to insure. Just like things like astras and saxos.
    Maybe try getting quotes on a different car. Bigger cars seem cheaper to insure, as do newer cars.
    from my experiences of searching for car insurance quotes, corsas are cheapest every time. around £1800 for a 1.0L, practically every other car is above £2000, the only one below that is a peugeot 107.

oh, and the bit i've put in bold is the complete opposite from my experiences. i've tried putting saloon cars on there and, as a 19 year old, usually come in at £4000 plus.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I got 1.3L Peugeot 206 and I was quoted 2.2k as a named driver on my sister's policy...I've not passed yet but was taking into account I had. She's only been driving like 3 years.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.