Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working on a translation-related project which I have to do for final year. I have to collect a corpus of 20 texts in German and English (I've chosen employment contract templates), analyse them in terms of their features and talk about potential problems for translation in line with the translation brief (the reason why I'm translating them). My translation brief is that a company based in Germany is re-opening for business and is also opening branches in the UK.

The problem I'm having is that obviously the employment contracts make reference to the specific German and British legal regulations and my supervisor said I need to find out which legal system a branch based in the UK which is part of a company based in Germany would have to conform to. I need some kind of official source (like an EU directive) I can refer to in the project but I'm not entirely sure what's the right thing. I've found the statute for a European company so far. Has anyone got any knowledge of this kind of stuff? Would be greatful for any help

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hannah,
    I'm a professional translator but sadly not a legal expert. However you might get some help if you post your question here: http://www.proz.com/forum/legal-1027.html
    I use this site regularly in my work and find a lot of support and help there with terminology and translation-related issues. As a student you are also entitled to join the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) at a reduced rate: http://www.iti.org.uk/indexMain.html - this would also give you access to experienced translators in many areas of the profession.

Good luck with your final year!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.