Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, I've got firm'd my place at Uni, it's an easy enough offer for me to make. The problem is the halls reservation fee.

With Uni owned halls they ask for £250, private halls are asking for £200. This is money neither me, nor my parents, actually have. I qualify for all bursaries and everything due to my household income, but this also means that I won't be able to pay this £200 :|

Is there any way to explain my situation to them?

ReputationRep:
    If you qualify for all bursaries surely you will qualify for some kind of help with accommodation? Contact the university and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChazSingh)
    Well yeah, I've got firm'd my place at Uni, it's an easy enough offer for me to make. The problem is the halls reservation fee.

With Uni owned halls they ask for £250, private halls are asking for £200. This is money neither me, nor my parents, actually have. I qualify for all bursaries and everything due to my household income, but this also means that I won't be able to pay this £200 :|

Phone the uni up and ask if there is anything they can do? I'm sure they must have something for people in your situation. Also is it possible to borrow money from family? Also try and get a job once you have finished your work to save up for uni.

ReputationRep:
    loan?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you going that costs so much?

ReputationRep:
    Overdraft on student account. Thats £500 instant overdraft with Santander. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    This reservation fee has to be paid like, in the next month? It's not per month, it's just to book your place in halls

I'll try ring them up tomorrow, hopefully I can explain the situation :|

ReputationRep:
    Which university is that? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    This reservation fee has to be paid like, in the next month? It's not per month, it's just to book your place in halls

I'll try ring them up tomorrow, hopefully I can explain the situation :|
    This makes sense, I was under the impression it was £250 a week.

ReputationRep:
    £200 that's nothing, Mine was £650

ReputationRep:
    maintenance loan?

ReputationRep:

You could try, but they're still going to expect the £200. It's a problem that a lot of students face because the student loan doesn't come in for a couple of days after you register.

Why don't you try getting a part-time job over the summer and earning that £200?

Also, look into other bursaries and grants (most universities offer some scholarships based on academics and/or household income). Universities are also obliged to give you a grant if you qualify for one from the government.

Which subject are you going to study? There might be some companies out there who are willing to sponsor you/who offer bursaries and grants. For example, I'm going to study Law and I've just applied to my county's law society who are offering £1000 bursaries for 1st year undergraduate freshers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.