Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I got a D in the first january exam (AS Salters).
    How difficult will it be to get this to a B or A at the end of AS without re-sitting it this year (however I will resit next year)

Thanks,
    Any help will be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (presuming it's out of 200 UMS)

Let's say your D=55

For an A at the end of the year you need 160, for a B, 140.

You can't get an A, and would need 85 to get a B.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can pretty easily get a good mark in F333 although you will need to work for F332 as it is quite a difficult test and counts for a quater of the entire a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bi0logical)
    Hey guys,
    I got a D in the first january exam (AS Salters).
    How difficult will it be to get this to a B or A at the end of AS without re-sitting it this year (however I will resit next year)

Thanks,
    Any help will be much appreciated
    Depends what subject really. But it's certainly not impossible - I have a friend who got an E in History AS last June, did a retake in January and came out with an A* equivalent (obviously still only an A beause you can't get an A* at AS, but it was over 90%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    (presuming it's out of 200 UMS)

Let's say your D=55

For an A at the end of the year you need 160, for a B, 140.

You can't get an A, and would need 85 to get a B.
    Sorry, this might be stupid what is UMS?
    I want to really get a B before I apply for Uni and not a C.
    So I need to know if its possible (obviously will work my socks off)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this might be stupid what is UMS?
    I want to really get a B before I apply for Uni and not a C.
    So I need to know if its possible (obviously will work my socks off)
    UMS is basically what you got compared to everyone else who took the exam, and is what gives you the grade.

example
    Say you get a score of 30/60 on the actual paper.
    But say everyone else got 25/60, you would still get an A.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    personally i'd retake the D because in chemistry everything you learn builds on what you already know so you'd find the exam easier once youve learnt more of the syllabus - im retaking every exam as well as unit 4 and 5 of A2 chemistry

oh i see you're resiting next year sillllly me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    UMS is basically what you got compared to everyone else who took the exam, and is what gives you the grade.

example
    Say you get a score of 30/60 on the actual paper.
    But say everyone else got 25/60, you would still get an A.

Good luck
    Thanks alot dude, I guess I just have to try doing my best in the next exam eh;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    personally i'd retake the D because in chemistry everything you learn builds on what you already know so you'd find the exam easier once youve learnt more of the syllabus - im retaking every exam as well as unit 4 and 5 of A2 chemistry

oh i see you're resiting next year sillllly me
    Yeah, haha. I didnt want to re-sit this year because there would be too much work.
    I just need to get a B before I apply to University, not sure if I can do it though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, haha. I didnt want to re-sit this year because there would be too much work.
    I just need to get a B before I apply to University, not sure if I can do it though
    not necessarily. even if you get a c overall you may be able to convince your teachers you can get a B, show them you're working and persuade them to predict you a B

many people do that, and when applying to uni they look at your predicted grades.. start sucking up now

ReputationRep:
    not necessarily. even if you get a c overall you may be able to convince your teachers you can get a B, show them you're working and persuade them to predict you a B

many people do that, and when applying to uni they look at your predicted grades.. start sucking up now
    Oh, so the University asks for our predicted grades and not our actual AS grades?
    ffs! lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so the University asks for our predicted grades and not our actual AS grades?
    ffs! lol
    you submit both to UCAS but so they look at both
    but the one that really matters to my knowledge is predicted grades.
    i could be wrong though since i didnt do UCAS im going to art school lol

ReputationRep:
    you submit both to UCAS but so they look at both
    but the one that really matters to my knowledge is predicted grades.
    i could be wrong though since i didnt do UCAS im going to art school lol
    Thanks for the help,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.