Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should SHISHA be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

ReputationRep:
    I think this is one arab import most people are in favour off lol.

ReputationRep:
    no opinion, i just think people use it to look cool.

ReputationRep:
    Who wants free shisha on me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Personally from what i have understood is that when having shisha in the longterm its going to kill you far quicker then normal cigarretes.
    Plus apart from the different flavour of taste you get, its really not worth it.
    But then again i've never tried it and i'm glad
    I'd rather be around people smoking sheesha (where they aren't harming anyone around them as it's normally indoors), compared to walking down the street behind somone smoking a cigarette and blowing out toxic fumes which I breathe in as I walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ======)
    I'd rather be around people smoking sheesha (where they aren't harming anyone around them as it's normally indoors), compared to walking down the street behind somone smoking a cigarette and blowing out toxic fumes which I breathe in as I walk.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8214097.stm

ReputationRep:
    They're damaging themselves (which they have a right to), and not others around them compared to tobacco cigarettes.

There's no point in just posting a news link as a reply, an opinion or dicussion from yourself would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    They're damaging themselves (which they have a right to), and not others around them compared to tobacco cigarettes.

There's no point in just posting a news link as a reply, an opinion or dicussion from yourself would be nice.
    What about the smoke that comes from a shisha and your gonna be in doors so your gonna be inhaling it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You find it perfectly okay to walk down a street inhaling exhaust fumes though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    You find it perfectly okay to walk down a street inhaling exhaust fumes though.
    This thread is about smoking, not motor vehicles.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is about smoking, not motor vehicles.
    If you are standing in a room where people are smoking shisha indoors you are still inhaling secondary smoke, you are passive smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    If you've never tried it then in my opinion making a thread about banning something you have never tried just makes you lose all credibility. Don't try and bring up a thread that you know very little to nothing about.
    there is a flaw in your argument. I'd rather not point it out.

ReputationRep:
    You better not ban shisha, otherwise I won't get my five a day

Also, if an hour of shisha is equivalent to 200 cigarettes, then I smoke about 1000 cigarettes a week. I think I'd probably be dead by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    You better not ban shisha, otherwise I won't get my five a day

Also, if an hour of shisha is equivalent to 200 cigarettes, then I smoke about 1000 cigarettes a week. I think I'd probably be dead by now.
    Exactly, I really hate this retarded statistic. I know people who've been smoking cigarettes for 10 years and their voice has completely changed. It's become raspy and coarse and they tend to spit out a lot of flem. I haven't seen the same thing with people who've been smoking shisha for 30+ years.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...okahs/#effects

I think I'll pass on the shisha offer.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care what other people do when it doesn't affect anyone else?

Get laid and stop making irritating thread titles come up on the right of my screen.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...okahs/#effects

I think I'll pass on the shisha offer.
    It's only the quick-light charcoals that are bad for you, and it's the stuff that makes 'em light quick that makes them bad! If you use natural charcoals (like most shisha pro's do) then the effect is very little.

EDIT: Obviously the smoking of tobacco is also bad, but is comparatively nothing next to cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    It's only the quick-light charcoals that are bad for you, and it's the stuff that makes 'em light quick that makes them bad! If you use natural charcoals (like most shisha pro's do) then the effect is very little.

EDIT: Obviously the smoking of tobacco is also bad, but is comparatively nothing next to cigarettes.
    What about comparing it no not smoking at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Because its got like 400% tax on it as cigarretes really cost about a £1, but the government doesn't wanna lose that much revenue from tax :/
    77%, lol

ReputationRep:
    What about comparing it no not smoking at all?
    Obviously it's healthier not to smoke, I'm not denying that by any means. But claiming it is more harmful than cigarettes is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's healthier not to smoke, I'm not denying that by any means. But claiming it is more harmful than cigarettes is ridiculous.
    I never claimed that. But have you got statistics to back that up?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.