Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should SHISHA be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, but much in the same way smoking cigarettes is legal, but I think people should be made more aware of how dangerous it really is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Should Iqbal007 be bannned? Give reasons now!
    No. My reason being I quite like saying the word "Iqbal"

ReputationRep:
    Just flavoured tobacco isnt it? Its only really a social thing over in the UK, you'd have to be an unlucky fker to get some sort of cancer or tobacco related illness from a few puffs of it.

ReputationRep:
    I tried it one night and I was just sitting there smoking it for like 3 hours... I didn't realise it was so harmful... It was quite nice, but nothing amazing, now that I know that it's as harmful as smoking I'm not going to do it again, at least not as much as I did last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    I never claimed that. But have you got statistics to back that up?
    I don't. Purely because nobody has done a fair trial, using methods that a regular shisha smoker would use. So call me incorrect or whatever you like, but from smoking the amount of shisha that I do, and a lot of my friends do, would equate to about 1000 cigarettes+ a week from what these tests are saying, and I think my health would have seriously deteriorated by now if that was the case. All a matter of personal opinion though, as I said, as I don't have facts to back up my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    I don't. Purely because nobody has done a fair trial, using methods that a regular shisha smoker would use. So call me incorrect or whatever you like, but from smoking the amount of shisha that I do, and a lot of my friends do, would equate to about 1000 cigarettes+ a week from what these tests are saying, and I think my health would have seriously deteriorated by now if that was the case. All a matter of personal opinion though, as I said, as I don't have facts to back up my case.
    Again I said nothing about 1000+ cigarettes. But in a typical session you inhale four times the amount of CO than one cigarette.
    http://www.uicc.org/general-news/shi...ful-cigarettes
    There is no health awareness like with cigarettes with shisha. People are not educated in schools about the dangers of it. There is the misconception that it goes through water so it is "safe".

I would also like to say that I am not against it, I mean it's like alcohol and cigarettes smoke or drink if you like I couldn't care less. I just think people should be aware of the dangers before they start.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should be banned, as people have the right to choose what they believe is good for them.

But I think a lot of Muslims are tricking themselves into thinking it is 'halal' just because it is part of the Arab culture. Culture and religion are two separate things and, as has been mentioned previously, shisha kills you faster than cigarettes! Do you want to die?

ReputationRep:
    No,

I used to smoke Shisha but stopped now,

It looks amazing as an antique part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    I have never tried cocaine. Therefore, by your logic I cannot make a thread outlining the pros and cons of cocaine, thus encouraging debate on whether it should be banned or not? Just because you haven''t actually tried something doesn't mean that you know nothing about it <_<
    From one extreme to the other. No, its not the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gakama)
    From one extreme to the other. No, its not the same.
    The point he was making is that you can debate something you haven't tried. Which is correct.

ReputationRep:
    i dont really see the point- it costs loads in some places n if ur paying that much ud at least expect to get high off it or sumt.

ReputationRep:
    o really... shisha is more damaging in the long term compared with cigars?

did you pull that out of your ass?

if anything, Skooma is dangerous!

ReputationRep:
    Form what I have experienced from it, I can't see the immediate harm and if done seldom them it's just as if not less harmful the tobacco smoking.

So No I don't think it should be banned but I do think there should be more advertising of the harms that it causes with long term usage.

ReputationRep:
    For the people constantly asking about the 200 cigarette figure. Iqbal was wrong actual figure is about 100+ which is still a large amount.

http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_in...tion_Final.pdf

According to the World Health Organization which is a pretty reliable source of info.

ReputationRep:
    No. Nor should any other drug. However harmful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    If you've never tried it then in my opinion making a thread about banning something you have never tried just makes you lose all credibility. Don't try and bring up a thread that you know very little to nothing about.
    I want to bann (/keep banned) stabbing people in the face. I have never tried it. Your logic doesn't work. But I see where you are coming from.

In my opinion, if you ban tobaco (never gonna happen) then ban it. If not, don't. Its not that different, I don't think people smoke it as much as tobacco, so its damage to health is probably countered by that. Its banned in public places, so its not harming anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    Just flavoured tobacco isnt it? Its only really a social thing over in the UK, you'd have to be an unlucky fker to get some sort of cancer or tobacco related illness from a few puffs of it.
    I doubt a person only has a few puffs in a session which usually last between 30minutes and an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    I doubt a person only has a few puffs in a session which usually last between 30minutes and an hour.
    More tongue in cheek. The emphasis was that its more of a social thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    If you've never tried it then in my opinion making a thread about banning something you have never tried just makes you lose all credibility. Don't try and bring up a thread that you know very little to nothing about.
    Lol how silly people debate all sorts of things they've never tried, you don't have to be a smoker to have an opinion on whether smoking should be banned, for example, or have had an abortion in order to decide whether you're pro-life or pro-choice. So long as you have a basic grip on what it is.

As for me OP I voted 'don't care', I'm tried sheesha, not that into it, never smoke anything of any description nowadays and don't think I would again. I wouldn't advise other people do it either but if they want to it's their own choice, I wouldn't ban fat people from eating burgers either cause it ain't gonna affect me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    More tongue in cheek. The emphasis was that its more of a social thing.
    The water absorbs some of the nicotine, smokers will smoke until they have satisfied their need for nicotine, because of this smokers will need to inhale more to meet their demand for nicotine, this means they are more likely to take in levels of carbon monoxide which can cause cancers.
    But we should just disregard this as it is a social thing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.