Turn on thread page Beta

Should SHISHA be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

ReputationRep:
    Smoking anything is cool...Yes anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    The water absorbs some of the nicotine, smokers will smoke until they have satisfied their need for nicotine, because of this smokers will need to inhale more to meet their demand for nicotine, this means they are more likely to take in levels of carbon monoxide which can cause cancers.
    But we should just disregard this as it is a social thing.
    Well if you want to attack the 'social thing' you can break it down by demographics and cultures. Some cultures use shisha's like cigarettes in the sense they use them as their means of getting their nicotine fix in fixed patterns like a typical smoker over here in the UK.

Over here in the UK shisha is a social thing for quite a fair amount of 'young people'. A lot of people smoke shisha at parties or in bars just for the sake of smoking it. Theres no nicotine fix there and they havent got fixed habits of going back to it. I'd give it the mark of a social thing over here in the UK and in most of the west based on that. But by your context, it would more than likely increase cancer risk in some countries, mainly middle eastern that use this. On a side note carbon monoxide isnt cancerous, it just makes respiration much more difficult. Its additional chemicals places in with tobacco in cigarettes that cause cancer as their inhaled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    Well if you want to attack the 'social thing' you can break it down by demographics and cultures. Some cultures use shisha's like cigarettes in the sense they use them as their means of getting their nicotine fix in fixed patterns like a typical smoker over here in the UK.

Over here in the UK shisha is a social thing for quite a fair amount of 'young people'. A lot of people smoke shisha at parties or in bars just for the sake of smoking it. Theres no nicotine fix there and they havent got fixed habits of going back to it. I'd give it the mark of a social thing over here in the UK and in most of the west based on that. But by your context, it would more than likely increase cancer risk in some countries, mainly middle eastern that use this. On a side note carbon monoxide isnt cancerous, it just makes respiration much more difficult. Its additional chemicals places in with tobacco in cigarettes that cause cancer as their inhaled.
    I'm not saying it should be banned smoke if you want. I just think people should be aware of the health risks.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of shisha 'tobacco' is not really tobacco at all, it's some sort of herbal mix which doesn't contain nicotine. From what I understand, the only downside to smoking shisha is related to the smoke released from the charcoal which contains harmful substances. So, it might be more dangerous if you spark up a shisha 20 times or more a day, as a smoker would smoke ****. But in reality, most people don't use it that often so I don't think it's a problem

ReputationRep:
    yes its worse than smoking

I've had it quite a bit, and the only thing I don't like about it is when your in a place where lots of other people are smoking it too it's get super smokey...

Yes, it is bad for your health but by wanting to ban it your claiming the whole population is too stupid to make their own decision. Plus, there are other things that are worse for your health ie McDonald's lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.