Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should SHISHA be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Maybe then it should be banned for under 18's or 21, because all i hear is , lets go shisha later guys ¬¬, and i never go.
    Hahaha. Best argument ever for banning something.

1. I do not like to play football.
    2. Often my friends go to play it, and I don't want to.
    3. Ban football.

ReputationRep:
    no but it should be taxed as much as alcohol and tobacco

ReputationRep:
    More like 2-10x as harmful...

and here's the proper scientific link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20161525

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    You want to force people.

If you could ban it you would do it. You will take other people's right to decide whether to take part in an activity because you do not agree with that activity. Ergo, you will be forcing yourself on other people.
    How is banning forcing people to stop, Canabis is banned but people still do it.
    Its life deal with it

ReputationRep:
    Still think it should be banned for some people like children, because its legal for everyone
    It's not legal for everyone.. only for over 16s. I used to get ID'd in Edgware Road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gobananas)
    It's not legal for everyone.. only for over 16s. I used to get ID'd in Edgware Road.
    Trust me bro it is legal for everyone, there is no age limit at all you can go and check. Edgware road is sooo arab

ReputationRep:
    How is banning forcing people to stop
    What are talking about? You're taking a person's choice to do something by banning it. You're forcing your views on them.

Mind your business. Leave people alone. It's precisely because of people like you why Muslim-majority countries have such a bad record when it comes to tolerance. There is no tolerance. Everyone must do as you say. Bans is the solution for everything.
    Let us ban books, cartoons, gay sex, wine, shisha, pork, criticism of Islam and etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me bro it is legal for everyone, there is no age limit at all you can go and check. Edgware road is sooo arab
    Well everywhere I have been to, Edgware Road or anywhere else, I was ID'd when I was younger. They all said I had to be 16... I guess that was around the time when you had to be 16 to smoke cigarettes as well.
    I don't think the people running the Shisha bars were talking out of their a.r.s.e by just questioning all their young looking customers.
    The places that don't ask for I.D are usually the illegal places where they let people smoke indoors, e.g places like Mile End.. >bleeuurggh<
    I think the problem with it being 'legal for everyone' lies with poor regulation in the Bars and parenting.

P.S I'm not a bro

ReputationRep:
    I once tried it on Edgware Road. Really didn't see what appeal anyone gets from it... are you supposed to get a 'buzz'?

I suppose it's a sociable thing to do, but no more so than chatting with friends over coffee/beer/food etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the solution to every perceived problem to simply ban it? I despair at these idiotic thought processes. Especially when the perceived problem actually doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and this is why - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12898079

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    More like 2-10x as harmful...

and here's the proper scientific link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20161525
    This link of yours is very interesting.
    No offense, but I think you quoted the "2-10x as harmful" wrong.
    It says that a one-hour waterpipe use session approximately generates ambiant carcinogens and toxicants equivalent to 2-10 cigarette smokers (who according to the article smoke ~2 cigarettes/hour). Which then leads to the conclusion 1h waterpipe approximately 4-20 cigarettes. (I guess lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    What are talking about? You're taking a person's choice to do something by banning it. You're forcing your views on them.
    I think murder should be banned. Am I forcing my views on society? Taking away a person's choice to commit murder quietly in their own home?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion on everything. Just because they voice it, it doesn't mean they're forcing it on other people.

ReputationRep:
    one inhalation is 4 times more harmful than one cigarette.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on crack?

ReputationRep:
    Some appropriate facts to consider:

* £8.8billion earned by the government in 2009/10 (excl. VAT)
    * £2.7billion spent on NHS 2009/10 (smoke related)

Note the profit!

And in response to sheesha (waterpipes):

"researchers found that on average, expired air carbon monoxide levels increased by 23.9 ppm for waterpipe use and 2.7 ppm for cigarette smoking..... peak nicotine levels did not differ significantly between use of waterpipes or cigarettes but carboxyhemaglobin levels were three times greater after use of the waterpipe than that observed after smoking a cigarette."

See ASH.org and find out the real deal.

:cool:

p.s. YES it should be bannd. make weed legal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I think murder should be banned. Am I forcing my views on society? Taking away a person's choice to commit murder quietly in their own home?
    What a silly thing to say. Murder is killing someone without their consent. When you murder yourself, you are forcing yourself on them. So, no, opposing murder does not mean you're forcing your views on society. You're doing the opposite: you are defending people's right to now have others force themselves on them.

Shisha, however, is not the same. I'm not harming anyone when I smoke shisha. It might be harmful to me but that's my choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glotch)
    What a silly thing to say. Murder is killing someone without their consent. When you murder yourself, you are forcing yourself on them. So, no, opposing murder does not mean you're forcing your views on society. You're doing the opposite: you are defending people's right to now have others force themselves on them.

Shisha, however, is not the same. I'm not harming anyone when I smoke shisha. It might be harmful to me but that's my choice.
    Did you read my post, and the context in which I made it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Did you read my post, and the context in which I made it?
    Yes, why?

The point is you can't compare murdering someone to someone deciding to smoke shisha.

ReputationRep:
    should not be banned but an age limite should b bought in... even 18 is young 2 b honest! my friends n i went for the first time and a lot wer dizzy etc mainly cos they didnt know how to do it and wer not really understanding the point... its not harmful but its better than smoking (i think).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.