Turn on thread page Beta

Should SHISHA be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glotch)
    Yes, why?

The point is you can't compare murdering someone to someone deciding to smoke shisha.
    Because your response is completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

I smoke shisha on occasion too, and no, I don't think it should be banned, as I am in agreement with you - it is, and should remain, my choice to smoke it. However, other people are more than entitled to say that they think it should be banned, for whatever reason (in this case, health reasons) just because the OP voices this opinion, it doesn't mean he's "forcing it on other people".

That's the point I was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    should not be banned but an age limite should b bought in... even 18 is young 2 b honest! my friends n i went for the first time and a lot wer dizzy etc mainly cos they didnt know how to do it and wer not really understanding the point... its not harmful but its better than smoking (i think).
    You feel dizzy because of the "nicotine buzz". First time users usually feel like this. It is harmful, think about it coal + flavored tobbaco. It's not better than smoking a typical shisha session last about an hour and imagine the amount you inhale in that time far more than a cigarette.
    I do agree there should be an age limit I've seen kids as young as 12-13 smoking, it seems like year by year the shisha smokers become younger but that might just be my town.
    I use to smoke it but stopped, I prefer clean lungs. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Because your response is completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

I smoke shisha on occasion too, and no, I don't think it should be banned, as I am in agreement with you - it is, and should remain, my choice to smoke it. However, other people are more than entitled to say that they think it should be banned, for whatever reason (in this case, health reasons) just because the OP voices this opinion, it doesn't mean he's "forcing it on other people".

That's the point I was making.
    For now he is not forcing it on other people because it is just an opinion. Opinions, however, have consequences.

The OP wants to ban shisha. He wants to take other people's right to choose to smoke shisha. How is that not forcing yourself on other people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplebrainz)
    one inhalation is 4 times more harmful than one cigarette.
    Many people assume that it is less harmful than a cigarette. I think that is why there has been a sharp increase in shisha smokers(although I'm just going off what I see on a daily basis in my town).

ReputationRep:
    technically its not a mind altering drug, jumping off a liff will kill you qiucker than cigarettes but technically its not illegal.

its crap though so whats the point anyway

ReputationRep:
    For now he is not forcing it on other people because it is just an opinion. Opinions, however, have consequences.

The OP wants to ban shisha. He wants to take other people's right to choose to smoke shisha. How is that not forcing yourself on other people?
    Unless OP became dictator overnight, this would never happen. The government takes away our right to choose to inhale all sorts of stuff. We don't accuse the government of forcing its views on other people, do we?

You are allowed to have an opinion on something without forcing it down other people's throats you know. As long as you can back it up, you can have whatever damn opinion you like.

ReputationRep:
    Its teh way i do my 5 a day =)

ReputationRep:
    Unless OP became dictator overnight, this would never happen.
    Whether he gets to force his views on others or not is sort of besides the point.

The point is that he wants to force his views on other people.

The government takes away our right to choose to inhale all sorts of stuff. We don't accuse the government of forcing its views on other people, do we?
    Yes, I do. The state should not interfere in people's private lifestyle choices.

You are allowed to have an opinion on something without forcing it down other people's throats you know.
    He wants to force his views on other people by taking away people's choice to decide for themselves whether they want to do shisha. It doesn't get more 'forcing it down other people's throats' than that.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldnt be made illegal because it is fairly similar to ciggerettes with same effects just happen a little quicker.
    The goverment has a way to deal with things that are bad for us and make us stop and that is TAX. So I think they should start taxing the sheesha places a special rate for what is the small part they play in harming peoples health.

ReputationRep:
    Shisha users can move onto trying out cigerettes because they're interchangeably associated. However it can be a good thing when smokers replace cigerettes with shisha which they attempt to do but mostly don't succeed in.

I think we're brought up in a society which deems it to be the 'cool' thing to do and until it doesn't become a fad, people, mostly students will carry on pursuing the shisha as if it's some kind of elite hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Whether he gets to force his views on others or not is sort of besides the point.

The point is that he wants to force his views on other people.

Yes, I do. The state should not interfere in people's private lifestyle choices.

He wants to force his views on other people by taking away people's choice to decide for themselves whether they want to do shisha. It doesn't get more 'forcing it down other people's throats' than that.
    And by ****ging him off for sharing his valid and justified opinion, you are forcing your views down his throat.

You need to chill out, seriously. People are more than entitled to think whatever they like about whatever they like.

ReputationRep:
    Arent all tobacco products banned for under 18s?

ReputationRep:
    Its slightly different as it is not common for not people to indulge everyday.

The smoke is filtered by the water so large particles like tar are going to be removed for the most part, and the actual nicotine level isn't much higher than a single cigarette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    Arent all tobacco products banned for under 18s?
    You wouldn't think so if you walked around the parade of shops near my house at about 8.30 on weekday mornings...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    should not be banned but an age limite should b bought in... even 18 is young 2 b honest! my friends n i went for the first time and a lot wer dizzy etc mainly cos they didnt know how to do it and wer not really understanding the point... its not harmful but its better than smoking (i think).
    'the amount of carbon dioxide inhaled through shisha is very high compared to cigarette smoking, adding that one shisha smoke is equal to seven or 10 cigarettes depending on the packed ingredients.

He stressed shisha smokers should also be aware of the fact that when smoke goes through water humidity in smoke increases and it then tends to stay for a longer time in the lungs. Some germs, mainly bacteria that cause tuberculosis, live in the shisha pipe.

"According to recent studies the pipe could act as a good medium for conveying bacteria causing infectious diseases like Hepatitis A that can be easily transmitted when shisha pipe is used by multiple smokers," apprised the medical expert.'

'it was found that over a five-minute smoking cigarettes a person inhales from 0,5 to 0,6 liters. tobacco smoke. And the fact that hookah smoke could go from 20 to 80 minutes per session. Number of puffs when it ranged from 50 to 200 (compare with a cigarette: 8-12 for a smoke break). Thus, a hookah can be equated to 100 cigarettes by the number of inhaled smoke. '

From Source 1 and Source 2

To sum up, shisha smoke contains tobacco, nicotine, carcinogens (cancer causing chemicals), carbon monoxide (gaseous poison).

ReputationRep:
    And by ****ging him off for sharing his valid and justified opinion
    Well, I don't think it's 'valid' or 'justified'.

I don't think forcing yourself on other people is 'valid' or 'justified'.

you are forcing your views down his throat.
    How am I forcing my views down his throat? I'm just expressing my opinion.

In my world, people like him who do not like shisha will have the choice to not smoke it and people who do want to do shisha will have the option to do that. In his world, however, there won't be a choice because he doesn't want people to have a choice. He wants everyone to do as he says.

People are more than entitled to think whatever they like about whatever they like.
    Yes, he is entitled to think and say what he wants because we haven't banned it like he wants to ban shisha. He has the choice to think and say his views on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Tried it once, I quite like it.

Do you have a source for this 200 cigarettes claim?
    He got it from the BBC I think. But either way, shisha's should not be banned OP, ridiculous idea :')

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't think it's 'valid' or 'justified'.

I don't think forcing yourself on other people is 'valid' or 'justified'.

How am I forcing my views down his throat? I'm just expressing my opinion.

In my world, people like him who do not like shisha will have the choice to not smoke it and people who do want to do shisha will have the option to do that. In his world, however, there won't be a choice because he doesn't want people to have a choice. He wants everyone to do as he says.

Yes, he is entitled to think and say what he wants because we haven't banned it like he wants to ban shisha. He has the choice to think and say his views on this matter.
    You're allowed (as am I) to think that shisha should not be banned. OP is allowed to think it should be. If he actually did anything to stop people from smoking whatever they liked, THEN he would be "forcing" his views on other people. Until then, he is expressing his opinion, just like you and me.

ReputationRep:
    People should stop trying to ban things.... seriously.

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed (as am I) to think that shisha should not be banned. OP is allowed to think it should be. If he actually did anything to stop people from smoking whatever they liked, THEN he would be "forcing" his views on other people. Until then, he is expressing his opinion, just like you and me.
    He is allowed to express his opinion, even though his opinion on the matter is disgusting. I didn't say he's not allowed to express his opinions. Freedom of speech is a two way street. You can express your views but others have the right to contest them. That's what I am doing. Unlike him, I haven't started a thread asking people whether we should ban those who think shisha should be banned from expressing their opinions.

Now, the fact is that the OP is an intolerant person who wants to force his views on others. If he had the opportunity, he would take away my right and your right to do something that has nothing to do with him. Does intention mean nothing to you? That, if he could, he would, mean nothing to you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.