Turn on thread page Beta

Should SHISHA be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Shisha be banned?
    Yes
    15.53%
    No
    60.68%
    Don't Care
    23.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)
    it should never be banned, it's one of the best things i've experinced lately! op, you can't really make a judgement on it before trying it. tut tutttt.
    Theres a reason why i never tried it, after i was informed correctly of its negative effects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nash24)
    Absolutely hate shisha. Its completely over rated, plus its definitely worse than smoking cigarettes and claims that shisha has fewer health risks because it's flavoured is totally false.
    Have you seen that thing where they say its tar free, yh its tar free until u smoke it, thats when the tar is produced ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    Tbh I don't know anyone who's ever smoked shisha more than maybe once a week. It's so casual that it's not harmful really.
    it adds up tho

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not in favour of a shisha ban, however I am in favour of a ban in public places as is currently the case.

ReputationRep:
    Is Smoking a Hookah Harmful?
    Technically speaking yes, although its argued with shisha tobacco not being processed and most of it semi dried fruit smoking with shisha tobacco thought to be not as potent as cigarettes and cigars. The water takes away many of the harmful chemicals (excluding THC), and so a pipe contains merely 0.5% nicotine and 0% tar. Also, if its not inhaled, there reduced chances of lung cancer. Many of the toxic chemicals from cigarettes and cigars are released due to the tobacco being on “fire” it is also though since shisha is heated rather than burnt less of the carcinogenic chemicals are not released in as high concentrations.

http://www.shishainfo.com/hookah-shisha-tips.htm

Please show me evidence that the water does not filter the tar out?

ReputationRep:
    You can't ban a natural substance because you personally don't want to ingest it. Alcohol is harmful, and some people choose not to drink it for that reason, but thankfully they don't try to shove their opinions down other people's throats and have it banned.

Grown, consenting adults have the right to do what they want to their bodies. The government has no right to ban a natural substance from human consumption such as shisha or marijuana.

I also love how people are arguing in favour of banning shisha by saying that it's harmful. That is not a valid reason to ban it. Something may or may not be harmful, but people have the right to choose whether they use it or not. You can't try to protect everyone from harm. "Cars carry a risk of collision and possibly death. Car crashes are a leading cause of death in the UK. Every time you step into a car, you are risking your life! The government should ban cars to protect the poor, naive, wandering population of this country who don't have a risk judgement area to their brain and can't think for themselves! Cars being legal is an abomination!"

ReputationRep:
    in the Arab world shisha is more important than anything else.... we can't go to a restaurant if it doesnt include shisha in its menue !! shisha = 60 cigarettes .... but still, we have 10 year-old smoking cigarettes, what can we do about the shisha then?

ReputationRep:
    Tar includes all of the mutagenic and carcinogenic agents in tobacco smoke. For Example Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) which in cigarettes is made through the process of epoxidation and which causes the reaction in tobacco that aids the creation of the tar and the carrying of nicotine, does not occur in hookah or shisha pipes as the process is prevented in water due to saturation of the hydrocarbons in their gaseous state. Although this is a positive there are negatives to shisha pipe smoking as when the tobacco is consumed nicotine (in lesser amounts) is still carried through the water or liquid at the base of the pipe.

http://www.rdoc.org.uk/smoking_hookah_risks.html

Answered my own question. Tar is filtered, Niccotine is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Is Smoking a Hookah Harmful?
    Technically speaking yes, although its argued with shisha tobacco not being processed and most of it semi dried fruit smoking with shisha tobacco thought to be not as potent as cigarettes and cigars. The water takes away many of the harmful chemicals (excluding THC), and so a pipe contains merely 0.5% nicotine and 0% tar. Also, if its not inhaled, there reduced chances of lung cancer. Many of the toxic chemicals from cigarettes and cigars are released due to the tobacco being on “fire” it is also though since shisha is heated rather than burnt less of the carcinogenic chemicals are not released in as high concentrations.

http://www.shishainfo.com/hookah-shisha-tips.htm

Please show me evidence that the water does not filter the tar out?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8214097.stm

ReputationRep:
    People who smoke shisha, or herbal tobacco, can suffer from high carbon monoxide levels, its research revealed.

I am not saying that a normal sheesha is healthy (carbon monoxide and Nicotine are not good) and the effect may be amplified by the longer time taken in smoking sheesha however tar is the carsonogenic substance and that is filtered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Personally from what i have understood is that when having shisha in the longterm its going to kill you far quicker then normal cigarretes.
    Plus apart from the different flavour of taste you get, its really not worth it.
    But then again i've never tried it and i'm glad
    Why are you making this your buisness? What other people choose to smoke has NOTHING to do with you, why are you so interested in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    By that logic only murderers could debate whether murder should be illegal and the rest of us would be allowed no say in the matter.
    Ghastly attempt at 'logic': murder is an action to which Mill's harm principle does not apply - you are clearly harming another person with the choice of murder; not principally yourself so to speak. We'd all agree that murder is a rather nasty thing to do to another person.

On the other hand, the point stands that the decision to smoke Shisha is a personal one, taken with full knowledge of the risks to one's health. Unlike murder, it does not harm anyone else. To compare the two is ridiculous.

One deserves to be punished, the other confined to a private choice.

Whether someone who hasn't tried Shisha see themselves as fit to comment on it being bad or good is of no concern to me, but I'll be damned if they can stop me from doing it - and enjoying it. I'd also hazard a guess at them being pretty tiresome company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_DP)
    I'd also hazard a guess at them being pretty tiresome company.
    Without wanting to put words in their mouths, I would imagine that virtually no doctors smoke it, and pretty well all doctors and health professionals will tell you it is bad for your health. Are all of them tiresome company? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Without wanting to put words in their mouths, I would imagine that virtually no doctors smoke it, and pretty well all doctors and health professionals will tell you it is bad for your health. Are all of them tiresome company? Really?
    People whose profession it is to tell you it's bad for you - and who you have most likely consulted personally in order to receive an opinion - are in rather a different boat to those who want to see it banned because they "hate" it and start online threads to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather smoking in public was banned, theres nothing worse when someone walks in front of you and you get all the smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_Bittersweet)
    I would rather smoking in public was banned, theres nothing worse when someone walks in front of you and you get all the smoke.
    I do get you, i cover my mouth, but its there choice, i think they should have smoking areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyrawstorne)
    Why are you making this your buisness? What other people choose to smoke has NOTHING to do with you, why are you so interested in it?
    Its like saying why i'm so interested in how the nhs is ran,. because it all affects me in one way or another ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    An hours worth of smoking shisha is the equivalent of 200 cigarretes
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Source?
    just look it up, becase i got taught this at school during pshe day and some other drugs and stuff as Shisha was getting out of control in my school ...
    look up onn bbc news there was a article i posted it a while back

ReputationRep:
    But that's my favourite sort of kerbab

Course not it's made of tobacco, genius.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.