Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

People who have lots of degrees watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know is 28 and has 3 degrees, he has never had a proper job in his life I dont know where he gets his money from but he still lives with parents and they are not rich as far as I know. Just wondered what do you think of people like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Someone I know is 28 and has 3 degrees, he has never had a proper job in his life I dont know where he gets his money from but he still lives with parents and they are not rich as far as I know. Just wondered what do you think of people like this?
    Three undergraduate degrees? Because if one or two were postgrad degrees then I don't see what the problem is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Three undergraduate degrees? Because if one or two were postgrad degrees then I don't see what the problem is?
    I don't know.. one is in nursing, another is in psychology and he has just done one in sports science.

Eitherway he is 28 and has never worked

ReputationRep:
    He's awesome! If I had the money, I'd do not 3 but 10 degrees. What kind of degrees is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    I don't know.. one is in nursing, another is in psychology and he has just done one in sports science.

Why does it bother you that he has never worked? Working isn't all there is to life, knowledge is far richer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)

I'm 26 and never properly worked (only recently started my own company). So I can't complain...

Each to their own. Although doing three consecutive undergraduate degrees is quite intensive, and incredibly expensive now funding for ELQ has been withdrawn in most cases, so I'd be surpised if all were undergrad degrees. But then maybe he has money you don't know about?

It's his business really.

If postgrad degrees then, well, that's an entirely different matter and not particualrly rare.

I congratulate him. It's not a common thing to do three different degrees like that. And work is clearly nothing to get excited about in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 26 and never properly worked (only recently started my own company). So I can't complain...

Each to their own. Although doing three consecutive undergraduate degrees is quite intensive, and incredibly expensive now funding for ELQ has been withdrawn in most cases, so I'd be surpised if all were undergrad degrees. But then maybe he has money you don't know about?

If postgrad degrees then, well, that's an entirely different matter and not particualrly rare.
    What kind of company is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Why does it bother you that he has never worked? Working isn't all there is to life, knowledge is far richer.
    Well Id be ashamed if Id never worked at that age, I woudnt want people to think that Id just sat in lectures most of my life and had not taken on an active role. Then again I come from a family that worked from being young and was constantly called lazy for not having a job while at college. My dad always thought it was unfair how he had to start manual work in a mill at age 14 whereas these days a lot are in their 20's before they start work.

ReputationRep:
    I admire anyone who wants to dedicate their life to persuing knowledge really

ReputationRep:

well i know that he wouldnt have paid anything to do nursing plus you get a bursary so he had paid for 2 degrees really, wonder if he'l do anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    For some reason Im the opposite I admire workmen/builders who work physically hard all day more. I dont know why but I used to feel guilty walking past them when i was going to college because they were working hard and Id be sat down all day. I know that we need academics and that they work hard mentally but yea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Well Id be ashamed if Id never worked at that age, I woudnt want people to think that Id just sat in lectures most of my life and had not taken on an active role. Then again I come from a family that worked from being young and was constantly called lazy for not having a job while at college. My dad always thought it was unfair how he had to start manual work in a mill at age 14 whereas these days a lot are in their 20's before they start work.
    Ah well, to be honest. You shouldn't care what other people think because these people will just use and abuse you. You shouldn't be ashamed of anything and nobody, just live the life you want. Nobody should judge you for what you do, if they do then they need to GTFO.

I'm studying civil eng and have worked with builders before, you're right. It's really a tough job. Let me tell you what the builders told me: It's not a way of life when you wake up early in the mornings, go to carry heavy stuff and then get back home in the afternoon being so tired that you can't do anything else for the rest of the day other than sleeping on the sofa till the next working day. I don't admire such a life, to be honest.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If he can afford to then why not?
    I would do more than one degree if I could afford to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Ah well, to be honest. You shouldn't care what other people think because these people will just use and abuse you. You shouldn't be ashamed of anything and nobody, just live the life you want. Nobody should judge you for what you do, if they do then they need to GTFO.

I'm studying civil eng and have worked with builders before, you're right. It's really a tough job. Let me tell you what the builders told me: It's not a way of life when you wake up early in the mornings, go to carry heavy stuff and then get back home in the afternoon being so tired that you can't do anything else for the rest of the day other than sleeping on the sofa till the next working day. I don't admire such a life, to be honest.
    Thats my point lol, thats why I feel guilty for being a student sat down all day taking a passive role lol. I admire/respect them for working so hard physically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    Really? I only think it's admirable if they use their knowledge to benefit society otherwise it can become arguably hedonistic and selfish, that's my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Wouldn't he have worked in hospitals, taking care of patients and stuff like that during his nursing degree?
    As a student on placement yes he must have

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked your friend why? I mean, its upto him what he does and all so wouldn't think anything apart from that's not a personal choice I'd make. Just a bit curious though. If it is three undergraduate degrees, I just wonder what his reasoning is. Is he just passionate about a range of things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    Thats my point lol, thats why I feel guilty for being a student sat down all day taking a passive role lol. I admire/respect them for working so hard physically.
    We're a different, some of us are better at working hard mentally, hence we go to college/Uni, as that's our route in, while some are better at working hard physically, so go and follow a more vocational pathway.

There's nothing wrong with getting three degrees, if you can afford it and that's your way of satisfying your thirst so to speak

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.