Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Religion causes more bad than good." Opinions? watch

• View Poll Results: Does religion cause more bad than good?
    Yes
    58.70%
    No
    21.74%
    The good and bad balance out, religion is just a part of life
    19.57%

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday while I was at work the news was on the radio and the report was about the violent protests against the Koran burning pastor, and my boss said something like "damn religion, all it ever causes is confrontation and war. ever since religion has existed people have been fighting over it". And it got me thinking, would the world be better if there was no religion? I know this is completely hypothetical and will almost certainly never happen but just in theory, what do you guys think? Do the wars outweigh the good that religion inspires people to do?

Here's some links that are on the BBC front page as I type this (kinda emphasizing the point that its constantly causing problems)

NI car bomb against catholic police officer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12950933
    Koran protests http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949975
    Suicide bomb in Pakistan against Muslim minority group http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12951923

ReputationRep:
    It brings far more joy to 4 billion or so people on Earth than it does bring negative effects, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I would say a balance of the two. Perhaps it's within the nature of humans to produce such entropy.

If a 'minus religion scenario' occurs then we are at the mercy of humans and those are at a prestigious ranking.
    regards,
    ibysaiyan

ReputationRep:
    Religion is just another route to offend people.
    On that basis alone, I'd say religion is has a negative effect on society as a whole.

However, on an individual level, who am I to deny someone their dreams of heaven?

ReputationRep:
    It's not all religions fault. If people never opposed it would there still be war against religion. Maybe the people pushing them are the people causing the war. All depends at which side you look at it from. I could just as easily say it's all religions fault, if religion never opposed others then there would be no war.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to tell really, people would find something else to fight over if religion didn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I would say a balance of the two. Perhaps it's within the nature of humans to produce such entropy.

If a 'minus religion scenario' occurs then we are at the mercy of humans and those are at a prestigious ranking.
    regards,
    ibysaiyan
    I'm sorry, was that sentence supposed to make sense?

ReputationRep:
    On a worldwide scale, yes I think so. On a personal level, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pfundner)
    Yesterday while I was at work the news was on the radio and the report was about the violent protests against the Koran burning pastor, and my boss said something like "damn religion, all it ever causes is confrontation and war. ever since religion has existed people have been fighting over it". And it got me thinking, would the world be better if there was no religion? I know this is completely hypothetical and will almost certainly never happen but just in theory, what do you guys think? Do the wars outweigh the good that religion inspires people to do?

Here's some links that are on the BBC front page as I type this (kinda emphasizing the point that its constantly causing problems)

NI car bomb against catholic police officer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12950933
    Koran protests http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949975
    Suicide bomb in Pakistan against Muslim minority group http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12951923
    and who reports the huge amount of good it does?

i agree that doing good things doesn't justify the bad stuff, but what it means is that overall, the effect on society is positive.

anyway, if it's true it's true. if a religion is correct, there's no point debating this sort of thing, it's like arguing about whether 2+3=5 is good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    Please enlighten me on what good religion could possibly do which is exclusive to religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Please enlighten me on what good religion could possibly do which is exclusive to religion.
    not exclusive, but maybe without a "divine" reason to do something pro-actively good humans would just not bother?

ReputationRep:
    "Me and my friend have different methods of eating oreos. Now he thinks that snapping them in half is correct where as I know to truly get the best from it one must dunk it in milk. We get fustrated that each other cannot come around to our perceived right methods of eating oreos. This escalates as we start vandalising each others property and culminates in me killing him, purely because I know I am right."

Conflict exists with any sort of divisive concept whether it be political ideology or ethnicity. I would say that the problem lies not with any of these things, rather humans themselves.

Also the car bomb, correct me if I am wrong, was about nationalist issues and not religion. This false association is true also of many of the worst atrocities in recent years that are lumped with "oh that damn religion". 9/11, whilst justified by the culprits through the word of Allah was motivated by American presence in Saudi Arabia. 7/7 was based on the perceived evil behaviour of occupying forces in the middle east. Whilst both can be related in some way to religion, to blame them on religion themselves whilst ignorimg the geo-political causes is just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    It brings far more joy to 4 billion or so people on Earth than it does bring negative effects, IMO.
    You mean aside from the near-constant wars and conflicts, the repressive, antiquated legal systems, the completely off-the-wall fantasies about the creation of the universe that directly contradict scientific evidence and keep entire countries in the dark ages, the cultural vandalism, the misplaced sense of anthropocentric superiority leading to environmental catastrophes, the blind unquestioning fanaticism of it's believers . . .

There are no benefits to a world with religion. If it had died out in the renaissance we would have colonies on Mars by now.

ReputationRep:
    Religious people, in my experience, and pretty much like anyone else - there are good and bad people in all walks of life, after all. I think some form of spirituality is probably a good thing for most people, in fact.

Organised religion, on the other hand, I absolutely think causes more bad than good - too many historical examples, too little evidence against them. My personal belief is that religion is more a catalyst for people than anything else - if you are prone to good and charity, you may do more because of your religion; but equally, the bad people in this world are made so much worse for being religious. Shame, really. Religion could be so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    You mean aside from the near-constant wars and conflicts, the repressive, antiquated legal systems, the completely off-the-wall fantasies about the creation of the universe that directly contradict scientific evidence and keep entire countries in the dark ages, the cultural vandalism, the misplaced sense of anthropocentric superiority leading to environmental catastrophes, the blind unquestioning fanaticism of it's believers . . .

There are no benefits to a world with religion. If it had died out in the renaissance we would have colonies on Mars by now.
    Hear Hear, Religion is one of the biggest factors that has held us back over the last thousand years. The Renaissance itself only came about when people were prepared to openly go against the Church and therefore put there own lives on the line in the name of progress.

Religion is a tool of control, our Monarchs used it against us whether it be Catholic, Protestant or Puritan. Excommunication and Crusades were the result of Religion, constant war between them because there religion believed they were better and had to spread the word if necessary by force. Its still here in the 21st Century but no where near Oppressive thanks to our more secularized society. But its effects are still seen in other parts of the World.

ReputationRep:
    This is a very short sighted view. Look at the casualties of politics. Most conflicts (actually, you'll struggle to find many that arent) are political. Whether it be land, oil, resources, power/subservience. How many people out there are oppressed because of political reasons? Bahrain is case in point. The US/UK are exploiting the Bahrainis indirectly. We support the dictatorship and therefore the treatment of the civilians. Afghanistan is another one, so is Iraq. The list goes on.

So every few weeks you hear of a crazy and extreme case of someone being hung or their head chopped off for a dubious reason (reasons which we aren't often explained in our media anyway), or a car bomb going off, and somehow you think more people are killed because of religion? This is a fear tactic. In the last century alone, the World Wars weren't religious and the numbers killed dwarf anything we've seen before. Add some perspective and try to understand the issues, rather than jump on sensationalised headlines.

Here is a better thread: Religion is a good scapegoat. Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    religion doesn't kill people; people do.

ReputationRep:
    Religion is one of the biggest things that make people stop and think "is this the right thing?", it has shaped kindness in our modern society, even if you think you are a good person without following a religion, I believe it has been moulded into our society through centuries of people following a religion, regardless if you're atheist or not, religious figures like Jesus first introduced these virtues of compassion into our society.

Humans are logical, if there was no religion to begin with, what reason would people have to genuinely care for complete strangers?

ReputationRep:
    Religion definitely brings more good than harm. Do people forget that it's the basis of Western civilization?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.