Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to revise, i want top grades.
    Im predicted AAAAB.

But i know its not as simple as that - how on earth can i motivate myself?? ive got a 3 and a half week break. (The last week is in and out of school for revision sessions).

Any motivational words ore tactics to share? How many hours a day should i do??

All i think of when i need motivation is trying to do the bits i like best first, then moving on to harder stuff?

THANKYOOUU!

ReputationRep:
    I can't motivate you, nor can the majority of people. The only person who can is you...

It's hard to say 'how' many hours you should do a day. Instead, ask yourself what is there to learn, then compare it to how much you know. Remember, revision isn't about quantity, it's quality; what you understand.

ReputationRep:
    Think of how **** your life will be if you get AAABB,

Jokes.

ReputationRep:
    *subs*
    I've lost all motivation. Well, that's not entirely true. I want to go to UEA more than anything but I'm struggling with illness at the moment so it's hard to revise when I'm dealing with something else. But I try and tell myself what I'm working for and why I need the grades I need. It is really difficult. Don't think about how much time you *should* be doing. Just start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reptileface)
    Think of how **** your life will be if you get AAABB,

Jokes.
    Pahah, more like DDDDE :')
    Thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    Motivation is a weird thing. For me, nothing can motivate me, not even the thought of failing even though that might get some people motivated. Fortunately I have always been the type to do work and revise when I KNOW that there is a need to...the funny thing is that I can be the laziest person ever but as soon as the feeling for the need to do work comes up, I can't stop!

My record was 14 hours of revision in one day with breaks inbetween. Yup that means nothing but revision for the day except for the everyday needs....

ReputationRep:
    fear is what drives me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    *subs*
    I've lost all motivation. Well, that's not entirely true. I want to go to UEA more than anything but I'm struggling with illness at the moment so it's hard to revise when I'm dealing with something else. But I try and tell myself what I'm working for and why I need the grades I need. It is really difficult. Don't think about how much time you *should* be doing. Just start.
    Get better soon!!! At least your doing what you can do, - i hope you get the grades you want or better
    Even if no one else does, i BELIVE in you

ReputationRep:
    You want motivation? Watch 'The Pursuit of Happyness' starring Will Smith.

lol, two negs? Watch the film, it's inspiring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expendable)
    Totally agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    weigh up the pros and cons of revising
    i always do this and end up revising/doing work

Also making a to do list / revision time table seems to help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novadragon849)
    Motivation is a weird thing. For me, nothing can motivate me, not even the thought of failing even though that might get some people motivated. Fortunately I have always been the type to do work and revise when I KNOW that there is a need to...the funny thing is that I can be the laziest person ever but as soon as the feeling for the need to do work comes up, I can't stop!

My record was 14 hours of revision in one day with breaks inbetween. Yup that means nothing but revision for the day except for the everyday needs....
    :adore: I bow down to you!
    I tend to get all manic and crazy around the exam period, I end up staying up all night and living off diet coke (even more than usual) and not doing ANYTHING apart from revision because I leave it all to the last minute and never do it before the exams are scarily close. I never seem to learn that I should start earlier... :sigh:

(Original post by sofiasofia)
    Get better soon!!! At least your doing what you can do, - i hope you get the grades you want or better
    Even if no one else does, i BELIVE in you
    Thank you, that's so sweet. Best of luck my lovely, I'm sure you'll be fine too! The fact you've started this thread shows that you're on the way to getting motivated and you'll start doing it soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiasofia)
    I want to revise, i want top grades.
    Im predicted AAAAB.

But i know its not as simple as that - how on earth can i motivate myself?? ive got a 3 and a half week break. (The last week is in and out of school for revision sessions).

Any motivational words ore tactics to share? How many hours a day should i do??

All i think of when i need motivation is trying to do the bits i like best first, then moving on to harder stuff?

THANKYOOUU!
    I'd do it the other way round - try revising the harder stuff first (even if it's just one smaller sub-topic) and then revise the easy parts. Then you'll feel better and will have the best parts to look forward to.

Don't revise for too long at a time - take a short break every hour. When you do revise, don't have Facebook/TSR on the computer at the same time as it will take you a lot longer.

Give yourself something to look forward to - favourite food, meet up with your friends, film...this helps me a lot when I'm revising!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Coach Carter :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Coach Carter :yep:
    I love that film! I supose it puts things into perspective :')

ReputationRep:
    Imagine getting into a great uni, beating all your friends while their disappointed because they didn't work as hard, earning 100k a year and having great job and happy life.

ReputationRep:
    All of those film watching...or 'think about the future' is bullshi?.
    As soon as you will see a person of your age, who succeded in his alevels, his is happy and achieved something he can be proud of, you will feel like ****. And you will want to revise. Or for example I've met some succesful people who really pushed themselfs to get where they are.

And this feeling of being a piece of **** relative to others make drives you to success.

ReputationRep:

lol, two negs? Watch the film, it's inspiring
    I followed your advice and wow! It has actually inspired me - thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.