The Student Room Group

So....I got rejected from all my vac scheme applications...

Woops.

Less than ideal, obviously. I'm still planning on submitting TC applications in the next few months for 2013 entry, but without a VS I need to come up with some different sort of legal experience to put on my CV. I'm sending out some letters to 'normal' companies to ask for work experience in their legal departments, and I'll maybe see about asking some of the local solicitors firms in my (small, rural, market) town as well.

But I'd be grateful if anyone's got any other suggestions? It's a bit gutting to have a fistful of rejections, so I need to make my TC applications really good.

Thanks in advance!
:smile:
Original post by Sephaeii
Woops.

Less than ideal, obviously. I'm still planning on submitting TC applications in the next few months for 2013 entry, but without a VS I need to come up with some different sort of legal experience to put on my CV. I'm sending out some letters to 'normal' companies to ask for work experience in their legal departments, and I'll maybe see about asking some of the local solicitors firms in my (small, rural, market) town as well.

But I'd be grateful if anyone's got any other suggestions? It's a bit gutting to have a fistful of rejections, so I need to make my TC applications really good.

Thanks in advance!

I think you should think carefully before writing to these local solicitors.

Think about why they should be letting you clutter up their already busy and crowded schedules if, as I presume to be the case, you have not the slightest intention of applying for training contracts with them.

What can you offer them?

Might they offer the opportunity as a favour to you as a family member of a client or a business contact or a partner or employee in the firm or out of affection for their old school?

What other reasons might you have why they should let you through their doors.?

The other thing you could do is call on the alumni contacts of your college.
Sephaeii, I don't know how active your university law society is - but do they have any links with law firms? I know my university is offering some students an informal week's worth of experience at Olswang and such. My law society is quite good and they have close links with law firms who offer informal open days on a regular basis. It aids your ability to articulate what exactly the job entails.

I understand that you must be a little stressed and I also failed to get any VS in my second year. I did manage to get some work experience with some local firms and I was a glorified file binder (though I did get to see the insides of the court!). Just pick up a phone and call a few local law firms - it can't hurt. But keep in mind that extensive experience at high street firms will make recruiters ask how this has prepared you for city work.

Use your contacts, too! Lots of stuff like this happens under the table, and some law firms are surprisingly open to having a client's relative over for a few informal work days ...
Original post by Sephaeii
Woops.

Thanks in advance!

There are still some Vac Schemes which you can apply for :smile: Look at LawCareers.Net: that website will show you some firms which are still open.
Reply 4
What stage are you getting to with your VS apps- rejection at application stage or interview stage? I'd recommend thinking about ways to improve your technique now as from what I gather, your success in gaining a VS is indicative of your likely success in gaining a TC. So have a think.

As for work experience - I got a placement through a friend's dad, and one through a random letter/CV I sent off. Also normal holiday work won't be a waste of time as you'll be able to use your experiences on the forms and at interview. Good luck!
Reply 5
Thank you all for your advice :smile:

I got mainly rejected after the online testing stages, with one rejection after interview. I plan to utilise the uni careers service a lot this term to get some advice on filling in applications and interview technique, so hopefully I will be a stronger candidate in TC applications.

Unfortunately I don't have any contacts in the law firms at all, I've been wracking my brains without success. I will have a look to see which firms are still accepting VS applications, I hadn't realised there were any still open - thank you!
Reply 6
definitely do write to local firms and see if they even have work you can do for free - i.e. photocopying etc. Have you any pro-bono work on your CV? Consider CAB or your uni pro bono service to get legal experience.

Don't be too worried about a lack of vac schemes - they are harder to get than TCs and TCs are tough to get at the minute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending