Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Man I'd have some fun in that situation, granted it must be annoying/disappointing for a gal but on the flipside at least he had something to say!

:hand:

So you think you'd be okay with going out to meet a girl and look forward to having a good time, get to know her etc ...but instead you're sat there listening to someone talk about politics, history & Hitler's biography... (which you dont know much about, usually i can talk about anything..and it's better to talk about present situations) responding with only three words:

'oh'
    'really?'
    'yeah'

..and then she talks about her ex...and how he's a slut, and she hates him because he left her. And how she loved him so much, but cant understand how he could just leave....and then about what her ex is doing now.

..and then you slip in that she should just forget her ex, and move on...and she agrees with you..but continues to talk about him.

Then the last 5 minutes..she compliments you, and would like to do all that again...

P.S. You say that now...but really, you'd run a mile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When will I know?)
    So you think you'd be okay with ... (being) sat there listening to someone talk about politics, history & Hitler's biography
    Hell yeah! Would make a refreshing change, seldom struggle to find things to talk about with lassies but rarely squeeze owt 'high brow' out of em

..which you dont know much about
    If it's something I know little about and have little or no interest in then fairplay, but perhaps then one needs to steer conversation a little?

..and then she talks about her ex...and how he's a slut, and she hates him because he left her
    I'm kinda into pragmatic counselling so yes I'd rise to the occasion, though of course it isn't very romantic.. I'd be inclined to agree with her that he does sound a douche but conclude that ultimately he's done her a favour (as he doesn't sound very deserving) and she should see it in those terms, hold onto the more pleasant memories/ways in which she 'grew' during that time in her life and leave 'hate' to people who are really evil :devil:

If a date carried on regardless I'd feel compelled to interject after a while like you say tho.. "soooo, ex's to one side.. what do you..". If they still fail to take the hint then I guess you've gotta hit them with - "look I like you and I think in some senses we connect but it seems to me as though you're not really over your ex..". If they still fail to stfu about the ex I'd get me coat :rolleyes:

Then the last 5 minutes.. she compliments you, and would like to do all that again
    If the compliment feels sincere I'd accept it and just hope that the next time I see her she's a little more focused on the 'present situation'. If it feels false (and I'm not keen on naked flattery anyway) then I'd be inclined to come back with a slightly sarcy comment concerning said attribute and her ex to elicit something of an awakening in her.. be it favourable or unfavourable, doesn't really matter, silly bugger needs to snap out of it!

P.S. You say that now...but really, you'd run a mile
    Naaaw, I'm not your average hapless TSR lad and I enjoy 'a challenge' - plus I'm too old to run without me stick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No there were a few other things as well..
    Well seeing as this is the one you brought to our attention it would be logical to assume this was the worst of the "problems"

oh i cant be bothered going through six pages of this drivel

ReputationRep:
    you're behaving like a woman, stop letting the side down

(Original post by silverbolt)
    Well seeing as this is the one you brought to our attention it would be logical to assume this was the worst of the "problems"

oh i cant be bothered going through six pages of this drivel
    welll soooooryy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Hell yeah! Would make a refreshing change, seldom struggle to find things to talk about with lassies but rarely squeeze owt 'high brow' out of em

If it's something I know little about and have little or no interest in then fairplay, but perhaps then one needs to steer conversation a little?
    ...well then just imagine a girl reading this out to you (there are 705 pages...but obviously not all of it):

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/

I'm kinda into pragmatic counselling so yes I'd rise to the occasion, though of course it isn't very romantic.. I'd be inclined to agree with her that he does sound a douche but conclude that ultimately he's done her a favour (as he doesn't sound very deserving) and she should see it in those terms, hold onto the more pleasant memories/ways in which she 'grew' during that time in her life and leave 'hate' to people who are really evil :devil:

If a date carried on regardless I'd feel compelled to interject after a while like you say tho.. "soooo, ex's to one side.. what do you..". If they still fail to take the hint then I guess you've gotta hit them with - "look I like you and I think in some senses we connect but it seems to me as though you're not really over your ex..". If they still fail to stfu about the ex I'd get me coat :rolleyes:

...well by that time it'd be fair to suggest you didn't connect at all....because it's the truth, where would you have felt you connected?

If the compliment feels sincere I'd accept it and just hope that the next time I see her she's a little more focused on the 'present situation'. If it feels false (and I'm not keen on naked flattery anyway) then I'd be inclined to come back with a slightly sarcy comment concerning said attribute and her ex to elicit something of an awakening in her.. be it favourable or unfavourable, doesn't really matter, silly bugger needs to snap out of it!
    It's not really a good idea to get with someone who isnt over their ex...you'll end up as their emotional rebound...or since they know that you know they're not over thier ex...and vulnerable (especially girls), she could easily think you're taking advantage of her...it doesnt make sense to start something with someone who loves still loves thier ex.

Naaaw, I'm not your average hapless TSR lad and I enjoy 'a challenge' - plus I'm too old to run without me stick

More of a nightmare than a challenge tbh :/

ReputationRep:
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Just imagine a girl reading this out to you http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/
    I'd rather not thx.. but then again I wouldn't expect a girl to put up with me going on about action flicks or the footi either

by that time it'd be fair to suggest you didn't connect at all....because it's the truth, where would you have felt you connected?
    I don't tend to ask a girl out if I don't feel we've connected on some level in the first place? :confused: The ex fixation may only be temporary too

It's not really a good idea to get with someone who isnt over their ex...you'll end up as their emotional rebound
    Quite right, there is this risk.. can make for an interesting challenge, though even if you're successful it has the capacity to backfire, bigtime when they get big into you before you're quite 'there' yourself aye

She could easily think you're taking advantage of her
    If she cottons onto that then she's definitely worth playing with :devil:

Man! I gots to get me one o those! :cool:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.