Mature Students Watch

This discussion is closed.
cherub_rock
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi everyone,
Is anyone out there a mature student? I'm wondering because when I apply next year I will have turned 21 and was looking for some advice on how mature students go about applying, and how it is different from applying when you are young and fresh! (y'know, 21 isn't exactly old but they're determined to make you feel like you should be wearing those slippers you get for £1.99 from shoefayre or something)
what sort of information do you have to provide to the universities in regards to what the hell you have been doing with your life for the past 4 years or so? do you need to provide extra references?
what are they looking for? what are they not looking for??
shouldn't people under 21 be 'immature' students?!
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My boyfriend is 21 and I helped him fill out his UCAS form and helped with the personal statement (I did mine last year). I think the main thing they will want to know if "why the gap", because it's not even as if you've had a 20 year career in between school and uni. I know this is probably something you already know, but I suppose any help is better than none
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I will be a mature student as well, I am 21. I was told it is rather an advantage due to quotas cause there are not too many mature students. As mentioned, the gap years should be explained in the personal statement, but that should not be difficult - you wanted to gain work/volunteering/life ;-) experience in any sort of way... reason it... done! Good luck
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
I will be a mature student as well, I am 21. I was told it is rather an advantage due to quotas cause there are not too many mature students. As mentioned, the gap years should be explained in the personal statement, but that should not be difficult - you wanted to gain work/volunteering/life ;-) experience in any sort of way... reason it... done! Good luck
I got an offer from Hull for law of "B,C". I am doing two A-levels in one year and am currently 22.

Hulls normal offer for "standard" students is "BBB" or "BBC". Lancaster who normally ask for "AAB" made me an offer of "AB". Bear in mind that I am only doing two A-levels so these offers are good.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cherub_rock)
Hi everyone,
Is anyone out there a mature student? I'm wondering because when I apply next year I will have turned 21 and was looking for some advice on how mature students go about applying, and how it is different from applying when you are young and fresh! (y'know, 21 isn't exactly old but they're determined to make you feel like you should be wearing those slippers you get for £1.99 from shoefayre or something)
what sort of information do you have to provide to the universities in regards to what the hell you have been doing with your life for the past 4 years or so? do you need to provide extra references?
what are they looking for? what are they not looking for??
shouldn't people under 21 be 'immature' students?!
I am a mature student. Where are you going to apply to? for what?
cherub_rock
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Thanks guys, you're all so lovely and helpful. I want to do law, i'm thinking maybe at Liverpool (who knows why..not me!) so I'll have to see what happens...and have to see what they say when I tell them that I spent a lot of my "time out" working on a pig farm!
Life experience, I tell ya....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (811)
80.46%
Leave (197)
19.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed