Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannnn)
    Really? so do I have to choose another course to go with it? I've spent two years working for a Web Design company as a Graphics Designer, do you feel that will have any impact? I plan on calling them on my lunch so will ask them then.

What about my National Award grade - will that help for anything?
    Yes, there are only enough modules to make up some of the course - you can do "digital media AND xxx" - 50:50 split, or "digital media WITH xxx" - probably a 66:33 or 75:25 split, but you need to look on their website to make sure.

Your work experience could definitely help you. Your national award grade probably not so much as it's at a lower level than your other qualifications but it's definitely worth explaining your whole portfolio of qualifications and work experience.

Falmouth only need 220 points + a portfolio, maybe you could consider that uni if the course suits you? http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/201/course...degree-56.html

Obviously it depends if you like the course as digital media can mean a lot of things: it could be analytical/theoretical like film studies, theoretical but lean more towards advertising, marketing, etc or completely practical and be a course in illustration/design.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no even if I have the correct UCAS points, will that not be enough to be considered?

Edit: just read your post again, will call them up and ask them if UCAS points is enough to get in. I have plenty of experience and I'm fairly skilled with Graphics so I suppose I could explain that to them. My heart is set on Christ Church as my friends and girlfriend are there.
    It depends on the uni - lots want gcses because a lot of employers want GCSE English and Maths and the uni needs to know you can cope with writing essays and the numerical aspects of the course. But CCCU and others may accept your Level 2 key skills so definitely look on the website and ask them.

If you only want to do digital media then the course is the most important thing though - you won't do very well if you have to do 50% of your modules in computing/etc when you don't want to, no matter how many friends you have there!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no even if I have the correct UCAS points, will that not be enough to be considered?

Edit: just read your post again, will call them up and ask them if UCAS points is enough to get in. I have plenty of experience and I'm fairly skilled with Graphics so I suppose I could explain that to them. My heart is set on Christ Church as my friends and girlfriend are there.
    I've had a quick look on ucas and there aren't any unis places in the south east that would accept your qualifications for a digital media course: they all require higher numbers of points, or DM in your btec rather than MM, or English and Maths GCSEs a grade C (or a combination of those requirements). Maybe broaden your search to other degrees or locations?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you mean. Hopefully my job plays a major role in it, I've got plenty of experience with freelance as well.

I think the best thing for me to do is call them and explain my situation - what should I ask them? last time I spoke on the phone the woman wasn't the most helpful so I still had a lot of un-answered questions.

I really want to go Canterbury, there is a alternative which is to study at Canterbury College as they're offering a degree as part of the University of Greenwhich for Design.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got through to them yet as they're having problems with their phones apparently.

If worse comes to worse, I could do a Foundation course at UCA Canterbury unless there are any at Christ Church? http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/foundatio...oma-canterbury

Have Uni's been known to accept students for their previous work experience if they haven't achieved those grades?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got through to them yet as they're having problems with their phones apparently.

If worse comes to worse, I could do a Foundation course at UCA Canterbury unless there are any at Christ Church? http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/foundatio...oma-canterbury

Have Uni's been known to accept students for their previous work experience if they haven't achieved those grades?
    Most unis will be lenient with mature students and those with work experience if it's a vocational course. But given that you can only do digital media as 50% of your degree at christ church, it's probably best to look at other unis too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    You got the offer for law at Exeter? With a Med's PS? That's crazy!
    Yeah offer from Exeter, but they asked for a new PS via am email. So not totally like that. But when I changed Sheffield from Medicine to Law they just gave me an offer for Law with my Med PS

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.