Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing media studies at Sheffield Hallam University next year. If anyone is currently doing media studies there or has done it in the past, it would be quite helpful to know if you would recommend it or you didn't enjoy it.

Also, It would be very helpful to hear some things that might help me get in. I'm currently doing four A levels - English Language, Classics, Media Studies and ICT and hoping to get AAAA. I don't have many extra curricular activities or work experience though, so I don't think it will be enough...

ReputationRep:
    why waste your money?

ReputationRep:
    AAAA at A2 would be 480 UCAS points; SHU request 280 points for their Media BA. You should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setna91)
    why waste your money?
    How would I be wasting my money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    AAAA at A2 would be 480 UCAS points; SHU request 280 points for their Media BA. You should be fine.
    Yeah but I may need extra curricular activities and work experience or other people will be seen as better students. Apparantly grades aren't everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAndrew)
    Yeah but I may need extra curricular activities and work experience or other people will be seen as better students. Apparantly grades aren't everything...
    You won't need anything else.

They'll let you in

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to insult Sheffield Hallam, you have far better grades than the average applicant for that course - most people with AAAA at A2 (assuming they did get AAAA at A2) would be looking at the redbrick universities, and then maybe one a bit lower for insurance. Most people applying to an ex-poly will not have AAAA. Of course, some will, but your grades will be so far above the profile of most applicants that as long as your PS is decent, you've not got much to be worried about.

Extra-curricular activities don't matter unless you can relate them to the course anyway, although it's worth looking for work experience or for relevant ECs if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Without wanting to insult Sheffield Hallam, you have far better grades than the average applicant for that course - most people with AAAA at A2 (assuming they did get AAAA at A2) would be looking at the redbrick universities, and then maybe one a bit lower for insurance. Most people applying to an ex-poly will not have AAAA. Of course, some will, but your grades will be so far above the profile of most applicants that as long as your PS is decent, you've not got much to be worried about.

Extra-curricular activities don't matter unless you can relate them to the course anyway, although it's worth looking for work experience or for relevant ECs if you can.
    Thanks for the information it's helped. I might apply to some more prestiguous universities then but I'll still use this as a backup

ReputationRep:
    4 A's and Hallam

it. cannot. coexist.

*Brain bursts*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    4 A's and Hallam

it. cannot. coexist.

*Brain bursts*
    Why? Isn't it a good university?

ReputationRep:
    Why? Isn't it a good university?
    depends. some courses it's good for. others maybe not

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing pr and media, if you wanna know anything just ask

ReputationRep:
    i swear there was another thread like this a couple days ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    i swear there was another thread like this a couple days ago
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1594858

???

ReputationRep:
    thats the one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodly.X)
    I'm doing pr and media, if you wanna know anything just ask
    Hey I've applied to SHU to do pr & media and am just deciding whether to firm it or not, was just wondering what you think of the course? Would you reccommend etc? I'd love to hear about it from a student's perspective, would be really useful! Oh and just what you think of Sheffield as a student city in general? How's things from the social side? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just having a hard time deciding, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachtree92)
    Hey I've applied to SHU to do pr & media and am just deciding whether to firm it or not, was just wondering what you think of the course? Would you reccommend etc? I'd love to hear about it from a student's perspective, would be really useful! Oh and just what you think of Sheffield as a student city in general? How's things from the social side? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just having a hard time deciding, thanks!
    Oh I don't mind I find it fun talking about it
    The course is really good, especially if its what you enjoy and what you want to do, when I first started I wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy it, but its really good The lecturers are really nice and easy to get along with, theres obviously boring ones but some people find the boring ones the best :/ don't no why!

Well I'm from Sheffield anyway but all my coursemates love Sheffield and say how good it is for nights out and stuff and just such a better place than there home towns. There's lots of places to go on nights out and just sporty things to do if that interests you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Sheffield Hallam University
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    Sun, 7 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.