Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ieestok)
    Rejection from goldsmiths came through this morning - I did say my interview was atrocious hahah!
    Ah well not to worry!! I'm expecting a rejection haha the longer it goes from the interview the worse I think it went! Just out of interest how long ago was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floknoyle)
    Ah well not to worry!! I'm expecting a rejection haha the longer it goes from the interview the worse I think it went! Just out of interest how long ago was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was on the 19th March

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from CSM? The wait is ridiculous. My interview was on the 5th of March. I just want to get over with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eei)
    Anyone heard from CSM? The wait is ridiculous. My interview was on the 5th of March. I just want to get over with it.
    Nope they said to me end of March/beginning of April so hopefully not too long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rejection from goldsmiths came through this morning - I did say my interview was atrocious hahah!
    Sorry to hear that. All experience under the belt though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggscz)
    Sorry to hear that. All experience under the belt though!

Yeah, I'm not so worried tbh (got my slade offer, that's my first choice and all), and I was quite put off by the way my GS interview went

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not so worried tbh (got my slade offer, that's my first choice and all), and I was quite put off by the way my GS interview went
    Ah that's amazing! Well done! I got knocked off after the portfolio stage But for some reason got an interview at GS - what was yours like? Mine was pretty chill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggscz)
    Ah that's amazing! Well done! I got knocked off after the portfolio stage But for some reason got an interview at GS - what was yours like? Mine was pretty chill!
    I talked about it in some depth a page or two back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floknoyle)
    Nope they said to me end of March/beginning of April so hopefully not too long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A classic 4.47 AM UCAS email.
    Received an offer from CSM. Now I'm done and have nothing else to wait for (apart from IELTS).

ReputationRep:
    Well done!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah got a rejection :'( really don't want to go to liverpool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that sucks. At least the schools outside London have good facilities, more studio space and more tutor time.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, offer from CSM too! I've just firmed Slade and CSM as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    got an offer from csm too, still waiting for GS... also have an offer from chelsea, but they don't have darkroom, which is kind of a no-no.

So, NOW, CSM VS. GOLDSMITHS? (still haven't done my kingston interview)

CSM - PROS:
    - erasmus exchange with great unis
    -part of ual (if i don't like the place i could transfer more easily?)
    - central area
    - great range of workshops

CSM - CONS:
    - fashion environment
    - pretentiousness, elitism
    - not very warm
    - heard that the studio space isn't great
    - haven't heard about their seminars, no idea if they bring interesting people
    -afraid they will value aesthetics instead of content and depth

GOLDSMITHS:

PROS:
    - Art school at core, so no fashion involved
    - individual studio, great space and facilities
    - cheaper location, not so crowded as center
    - the seminars seem to attract a lot of people, good connections with top contemporary artists worldwide.
    - seems like you are treated like an artist, more than in CSM

CONS:
    - Can't find their erasmus exchange
    - THAT BBC DOC
    - sketchy reputation
    - pretentiousness
    - afraid i won't learn anything

Ok, this pro-cons are my impressions, maybe they are completely false... Can you guys give me your own pro-cons GS VS. CSM? WOuld be most thankful.

ReputationRep:
    To me it's more about £1.40 Overground ticket to Gospel Oaks vs. 11 miles by bike to New Cross

In a real life situation, I'd probably choose Goldsmiths. It feels like I'd learn more, had more space and it feels more academic (and I'd want to continue with the MA and beyond). English isn't my first language, so I was bit worried that I'd struggle with the workload at Goldsmiths, hence I just preferred to take it slowly at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksader)
    got an offer from csm too, still waiting for GS... also have an offer from chelsea, but they don't have darkroom, which is kind of a no-no.

So, NOW, CSM VS. GOLDSMITHS? (still haven't done my kingston interview)

CSM - PROS:
    - erasmus exchange with great unis
    -part of ual (if i don't like the place i could transfer more easily?)
    - central area
    - great range of workshops

CSM - CONS:
    - fashion environment
    - pretentiousness, elitism
    - not very warm
    - heard that the studio space isn't great
    - haven't heard about their seminars, no idea if they bring interesting people
    -afraid they will value aesthetics instead of content and depth

GOLDSMITHS:

PROS:
    - Art school at core, so no fashion involved
    - individual studio, great space and facilities
    - cheaper location, not so crowded as center
    - the seminars seem to attract a lot of people, good connections with top contemporary artists worldwide.
    - seems like you are treated like an artist, more than in CSM

CONS:
    - Can't find their erasmus exchange
    - THAT BBC DOC
    - sketchy reputation
    - pretentiousness
    - afraid i won't learn anything

Ok, this pro-cons are my impressions, maybe they are completely false... Can you guys give me your own pro-cons GS VS. CSM? WOuld be most thankful.
    The main difference between Goldsmiths and CSM is that CSM is actually really structured and prescriptive, whereas Goldsmiths is much more free and open. It depends what you're looking for. I much prefer being able to make my own schedule and be free to make whatever I want, therefore Goldsmiths is the best fit for me. A lot of people struggle with just how self directed it is, but if this is your thing then Goldsmiths is great and you're definitely treated like an artist.
    In terms of location and living I also much prefer New Cross to the center. Goldsmiths' location was initially a big negative for me, but it's actually a great place to live (I live in Lewisham now, 15mins walk away). It's far less crowded than the center, it's about half the price and it's actually much safer. I've never heard of anyone having problems around here, even walking home alone at night, whereas a lot of the people I know who live in central have had mugging/break in experiences, or just a lot of creepy behaviour.

The main downside to Goldsmiths, as you mentioned, is that they don't have an erasmus exchange. There is a very small exchange with a university in Hamburg but it's only for a few weeks (in second/third year). I believe CSM also offer more in terms of work experience (such as work placements and such) and although this is defiantly encouraged at Goldsmiths, you're left to fend for yourself.

I imagine the pretentious levels are pretty equal for both. There are certainly a few pretentious individuals knocking about at Goldsmtihs, but they're by no means the default and they tend to get called out on it by others. Also, it's not like the BBC documentary (possibly because that was quite a few years ago now, and featured the MA course).

I think CSM would give you a lot more work experience, and there exchange program is great, but they're very structured which I think is a real turn off (at least for me). Goldsmiths lack of exchange program is really annoying and they won't help you as much with work experience, but you definitely learn a lot in terms of art theory and criticism and it's surprisingly easy to make your own opportunities.
    Hope this has helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksader)
    Just to add to your list -

CSM pros:
    ~ being part of UAL means you can use any UAL libraries and attend lectures across all UAL unis.
    ~ Beautiful building/location, very relaxed, peaceful and dare i say inspiring, while being very close to central london
    ~ accommodation is mixed with all of UAL, you'll be in touch with lots of different kinds of creative people
    ~ MASSIVE library, great resources, cheap supplies from discount art shop, possibility to use almost all CSM's facilities so anything you want to do is supported, and the whole uni is full of other people who can give you ideas and you can learn from
    ~ studios are more involved/friendlier than GS

CSM cons:
    ~ accommodation could be any of them across london, might end up with a long commute
    ~ first year studios are separate from the main building, 20 minute journey to lectures/workshops
    ~ may get limited space

GS pros:
    ~ you can take a module from anywhere else in the uni in second year
    ~ lots of other humanities students around if you like getting stimulus from other disciplines
    ~ accommodation will be quite near by
    ~ everything is on one big sprawling campus

GS cons:
    ~ location (while cheaper) is outside of london, and you'll be a bit cut off from things happening in central london, 15 minute train journey to get to/from the centre, and its not as nice a location
    ~ all the buildings/workshops/etc are in different bits of the campus, could be annoying/divisive, even the single and dual honour students are in different buildings. studios are out on a limb a bit.
    ~ personally i felt their studios were kinda cold and impersonal but that could just be me.
    ~ general stigma of making 'goldsmiths-esque' and 'non-goldsmiths-esque' work, has a bit of a reputation

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot for the replies, very helpful. which one is the more intellectually challenging? Since I already have a BA and I am a practicing artist, I need a more challenging environment, on the other hand, I want to learn some skills from scratch.

Regarding CSM, I mean, if the studios are so far from the workshops, am I supposed to drag my materials across town? that's really lame and expensive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eei)
    To me it's more about £1.40 Overground ticket to Gospel Oaks vs. 11 miles by bike to New Cross

In a real life situation, I'd probably choose Goldsmiths. It feels like I'd learn more, had more space and it feels more academic (and I'd want to continue with the MA and beyond). English isn't my first language, so I was bit worried that I'd struggle with the workload at Goldsmiths, hence I just preferred to take it slowly at first.
    Have you applied to both CSM and Goldsmiths? Yeah, I'm from abroad too. Do you think CSM might be more practical than goldsmiths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelveticaBold)
    The main difference between Goldsmiths and CSM is that CSM is actually really structured and prescriptive, whereas Goldsmiths is much more free and open. It depends what you're looking for. I much prefer being able to make my own schedule and be free to make whatever I want, therefore Goldsmiths is the best fit for me. A lot of people struggle with just how self directed it is, but if this is your thing then Goldsmiths is great and you're definitely treated like an artist.
    In terms of location and living I also much prefer New Cross to the center. Goldsmiths' location was initially a big negative for me, but it's actually a great place to live (I live in Lewisham now, 15mins walk away). It's far less crowded than the center, it's about half the price and it's actually much safer. I've never heard of anyone having problems around here, even walking home alone at night, whereas a lot of the people I know who live in central have had mugging/break in experiences, or just a lot of creepy behaviour.

The main downside to Goldsmiths, as you mentioned, is that they don't have an erasmus exchange. There is a very small exchange with a university in Hamburg but it's only for a few weeks (in second/third year). I believe CSM also offer more in terms of work experience (such as work placements and such) and although this is defiantly encouraged at Goldsmiths, you're left to fend for yourself.

I imagine the pretentious levels are pretty equal for both. There are certainly a few pretentious individuals knocking about at Goldsmtihs, but they're by no means the default and they tend to get called out on it by others. Also, it's not like the BBC documentary (possibly because that was quite a few years ago now, and featured the MA course).

I think CSM would give you a lot more work experience, and there exchange program is great, but they're very structured which I think is a real turn off (at least for me). Goldsmiths lack of exchange program is really annoying and they won't help you as much with work experience, but you definitely learn a lot in terms of art theory and criticism and it's surprisingly easy to make your own opportunities.
    Hope this has helped.
    Do you have a lot of written assignments? Do you feel you are learning new skills at the workshops? Yeah I know that BBC doc was quite biased ahah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.