Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    you mentioned that you had work from a foundation course in your portfolio?? Does this mean that i could use a sketchbook or final piece from my sixthform coursework, or does it all have to be self-initiated??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophielaing)
    you mentioned that you had work from a foundation course in your portfolio?? Does this mean that i could use a sketchbook or final piece from my sixthform coursework, or does it all have to be self-initiated??
    My portfolio was entirely foundation, and I think I had one piece in it which was a workshop project and the rest was self initiated. Unless your A-Level is really strong, like as good as your foundation, I wouldn't bother. You have to think- if you were an interviewer and somebody showed you work that's a year+ old, it suggests you haven't done anything better in the meantime. Personally I would never have considered including pre-foundation work because mine changed so massively over my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ieestok)
    My portfolio was entirely foundation, and I think I had one piece in it which was a workshop project and the rest was self initiated. Unless your A-Level is really strong, like as good as your foundation, I wouldn't bother. You have to think- if you were an interviewer and somebody showed you work that's a year+ old, it suggests you haven't done anything better in the meantime. Personally I would never have considered including pre-foundation work because mine changed so massively over my course.
    Even if you've laboured over a painting for a few months A level pieces stick out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't advise it.

I agree, I ignored (or rather was unaware) of this advice when I applied to the Ruskin and was punished accordingly, the rejection letter ran: 'reapply after your foundation course'. For the Slade I didn't include any A level work, in fact I think the earliest physical piece I provided was 3 months old. (I photographed a sculpture on location the morning of my interview! not advised, you burden yourself with a lot of stress!)

I think someone mentioned on another thread that they submitted a quick ideas notebook for their slade application and were accepted. And often your best work is not the one you put your most effort into, history teaches us that.

ReputationRep:
    Email just came through about Slade Undergraduate entry Facebook group

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I received an interview date from Slade, and was wondering if anyone had any advice from last years interviews? I've been researching past threads and a lot of them are from 2011 so I'm assuming things may have changed slightly. Any advice would be hugely appreciated ! Or maybe even how the course is going for those who got accepted ? Thank you ! :--) (I'm applying for the 3 years)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.