Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertiewallace123)
    Same! the most recent year have a fb page from which I got all my links etc. Just googled there names with keywords like 'tumblr 'or 'flickr' or 'art' for instacne. Will have to dig them out after I come back from much needed fresh air.

I have some video art which I will link you to it in a bit as well...
    Soooo glad I'm not the only one! I wonder if other people have too. Yes I haven't stopped thinking about it as I've had nothing to distract myself. I even made 3 paintings from being anxious.
    But not I've got my curation meeting. And I have to baby sit for 3 hours! So hopefully the day will fly past.
    I reckon I won't sleep much this next week. I keep having nightmares about all of this

ReputationRep:
    thanks megan for the link, strong portfolio, especially love the scanner work,

Thankfully I have work later on too, anything to keep the thoughts of rejection at bay.

ReputationRep:
    Last year they found out on the 19th however Monday was the 10th that year but the 9th this year. That means it could be the 18th people begin to find out!

I would be super interested in seeing some of you guys work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    Last year they found out on the 19th however Monday was the 10th that year but the 9th this year. That means it could be the 18th people begin to find out!

I would be super interested in seeing some of you guys work!
    Someone said they found out 4 days after they did submission. 4 days are thursday is monday. So I am confused. However, I do believe it will be the 18th onwards. Hopefully.
    So only 4 more days to go woo

Are you posting your work yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notwinter)
    Someone said they found out 4 days after they did submission. 4 days are thursday is monday. So I am confused. However, I do believe it will be the 18th onwards. Hopefully.
    So only 4 more days to go woo

Are you posting your work yet?
    I will probably next week. I have been in bed all day with the worst cold ever! Would happen now when I have a week to do anything I want

They probably will just tell us once all portfolios have been collected/sent off. I really doubt they are still deciding? How are you coping with it all haha?

ReputationRep:
    I will probably next week. I have been in bed all day with the worst cold ever! Would happen now when I have a week to do anything I want

They probably will just tell us once all portfolios have been collected/sent off. I really doubt they are still deciding? How are you coping with it all haha?
    oh that's not good. There's colds going around all the schools at the moment :-(

Good point, the rest are being collected monday and hopefully they sent them back friday and if they have any left monday. I suppose they know perhaps 90% of who, I reckon they're fighting over the last 16 people haha.

I don't think I am copying. I'm baby sitting right now and all I've done is google Slade to pass the time. I went to my curation meeting earlier and was even checking it all then. Hopefully after tomorrow school will distract me a bit. I keep checking my email every 5 seconds... and I know it makes no sense too but I can't help it. I will be sooooo gutted to see the UCAS track pop up. But I have to be prepared for it :-)
    However this experience has inspired me to make a lot of art to pass the time away.

What about you?

Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    oh that's not good. There's colds going around all the schools at the moment :-(

Good point, the rest are being collected monday and hopefully they sent them back friday and if they have any left monday. I suppose they know perhaps 90% of who, I reckon they're fighting over the last 16 people haha.

I don't think I am copying. I'm baby sitting right now and all I've done is google Slade to pass the time. I went to my curation meeting earlier and was even checking it all then. Hopefully after tomorrow school will distract me a bit. I keep checking my email every 5 seconds... and I know it makes no sense too but I can't help it. I will be sooooo gutted to see the UCAS track pop up. But I have to be prepared for it :-)
    However this experience has inspired me to make a lot of art to pass the time away.

What about you?

Hope you feel better soon
    yeah there is! I have had three periods of colds this school year it's disgusting! Literally never had one like this before. To pass the time I am sleeping hahaha! Starting to feel better in the last hour or two thankfully!

It's starting to get pretty intense considering they could release them early if they wanted to! Hopefully it will be positive news for you as you clearly can't stop thinking about it! I will probably begin a new project tomorrow as I too need a distraction!

It's actually half term for me! Not sure who is luckier in terms of the distraction haha!

ReputationRep:
    yeah there is! I have had three periods of colds this school year it's disgusting! Literally never had one like this before. To pass the time I am sleeping hahaha! Starting to feel better in the last hour or two thankfully!

It's starting to get pretty intense considering they could release them early if they wanted to! Hopefully it will be positive news for you as you clearly can't stop thinking about it! I will probably begin a new project tomorrow as I too need a distraction!

It's actually half term for me! Not sure who is luckier in terms of the distraction haha!
    3! That's not good, hopefully there will be no more
    Oh sleep sounds good. Sadly I have to wake up early and baby sit for another family! But I don't mind as I might take a long nap in the after noon (although I should be writing an essay, but I'll do that some other time :-)

Early meaning Tuesday hopefully, or in 5 mins. That would be great. I'm trying to brace myself for disappointment. I know I won't get it, I just hate waiting for things. too much suspense.
    Lucky you! I have to wait 2 weeks till term break. My school is super weird and has 5 terms instead of three because we don't get half terms.

It's good though as you have lots of time to make art :-)

I hope at least one of us gets it, I think there's 5 of us talking about Slade on here. I reckon someone will. Just have to wait and see who

ReputationRep:
    3! That's not good, hopefully there will be no more
    Oh sleep sounds good. Sadly I have to wake up early and baby sit for another family! But I don't mind as I might take a long nap in the after noon (although I should be writing an essay, but I'll do that some other time :-)

Early meaning Tuesday hopefully, or in 5 mins. That would be great. I'm trying to brace myself for disappointment. I know I won't get it, I just hate waiting for things. too much suspense.
    Lucky you! I have to wait 2 weeks till term break. My school is super weird and has 5 terms instead of three because we don't get half terms.

It's good though as you have lots of time to make art :-)

I hope at least one of us gets it, I think there's 5 of us talking about Slade on here. I reckon someone will. Just have to wait and see who
    You sound pretty busy then! Yeah I would prefer in 5 minutes haha!

Who knows? Someone has to get it right!

Do you think Slade look for the same kind of things every year or do you think it changes?

ReputationRep:
    You sound pretty busy then! Yeah I would prefer in 5 minutes haha!

Who knows? Someone has to get it right!

Do you think Slade look for the same kind of things every year or do you think it changes?

Not that busy... I'm doing stuff but it's not much. If that makes sense.

I would think they would look for the same things. They elaborate on what they look for the least of all courses I've seen. Now that I think about it, I literally have 0 ideas on what they look for.
    I looked again at their degree shows, they're so far out My work doesn't resemble any of it in the slightest and to be honest, I don't get what any of it is about. Maybe I'd have to go to get it.

Everything is s confusing

ReputationRep:
    Not that busy... I'm doing stuff but it's not much. If that makes sense.

I would think they would look for the same things. They elaborate on what they look for the least of all courses I've seen. Now that I think about it, I literally have 0 ideas on what they look for.
    I looked again at their degree shows, they're so far out My work doesn't resemble any of it in the slightest and to be honest, I don't get what any of it is about. Maybe I'd have to go to get it.

Everything is s confusing
    You obviously won't be applying for a course*with the expectation to produce the same work you applied with while on it or else what would be the point in paying 9k per year.

I would guess they are looking for the potential to expand on something you do display with the portfolio showing a journey that's not close to being finished. That's how I interpreted it though!

ReputationRep:
    You obviously won't be applying for a course*with the expectation to produce the same work you applied with while on it or else what would be the point in paying 9k per year.

I would guess they are looking for the potential to expand on something you do display with the portfolio showing a journey that's not close to being finished. That's how I interpreted it though!
    Well that is a good point.
    I would love to see the portfolios of the people that got in and then the work they produced in their degree show.
    I've only ever seen one portfolio that got in - in person. It was bloody amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Well that is a good point.
    I would love to see the portfolios of the people that got in and then the work they produced in their degree show.
    I've only ever seen one portfolio that got in - in person. It was bloody amazing.

We had two people come in who made the interviews last year (one got in) and had mixed feelings. Neither had any drawing/paint work everything was based on texture, sculpture, performance and installation (no video). The one who got in had really interesting theory behind his work (if you get theory it makes good sense, and you only get theory when on foundation, hence, I suppose, the lack of students straight from a level) he also had interesting and unique themes such as dogging,intimacy and service stuff I would never have addressed myself. The rejected one on the other hand was frankly very weak, a few nails in a box and all that. Mostly texture , rather boring.

However even seeing his work was a jolt to the system, as soon as I saw these guys work I instantly scrapped my painting and did some performance/more video which I suppose for the Slade has increased my odds a little.

What was the persons portoflio like like who got in? Any details, works, links???

ReputationRep:
    We had two people come in who made the interviews last year (one got in) and had mixed feelings. Neither had any drawing/paint work everything was based on texture, sculpture, performance and installation (no video). The one who got in had really interesting theory behind his work (if you get theory it makes good sense, and you only get theory when on foundation, hence, I suppose, the lack of students straight from a level) he also had interesting and unique themes such as dogging,intimacy and service stuff I would never have addressed myself. The rejected one on the other hand was frankly very weak, a few nails in a box and all that. Mostly texture , rather boring.

However even seeing his work was a jolt to the system, as soon as I saw these guys work I instantly scrapped my painting and did some performance/more video which I suppose for the Slade has increased my odds a little.

What was the persons portoflio like like who got in? Any details, works, links???
    I've seen some online portfolios of people that got in that are literally just 20 pieces of latex. So I think they really love texture. I'm very confused by some of it. My work has always been about stuff, but mainly how I feel. That's the point of it. I didn't see the point changing my word to make it about some worldly issue or it would have been fake. I paint the hills of somerset as they remind me family. And I painted a bike journey several times in huge circles as I liked the motion. My work is about colour and the viewers relationship with the way I've presented it as my relation with colour isn't stereotypical. If they don't like it, then I guess they don't like it. I paint what I feel and I won't change that otherwise what's the point of me making anything.
    But I certainly have branched out. I mean this morning I made an oil painting of my room. Which I never do as I'm not big on still life. https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/ Look at the first few. Then I made them into digital drawings of objects in my room. I don't know. I'm big of the personal relation between choice and the artist.

The guys work was really amazing. I have been told he was the first person to reject slade in 20 years. not sure about it, but several people have said it. He made some cool sculpture stuff but he never said it meant anything he'd just say "I nailed some **** together" and it would confuse me. He had this really cool book where he just scribbled a different colour in it every day. I won't share his work as it's not mine to share. But I think it all meant stuff, he was just very private about it. He was always very into art, a lot. Every time we spoke he'd be drawing and I'd phone him and he'd be painting. He never stopped!!

ReputationRep:
    It is noble of u to stick to your guns, I haven't ...

Can deffo see the Picasso influence in these works , certainly in the faces (am I right?).

He sounds like a cool guy tho is there any reason why he rejected Slade? Too academic? Or was he too good for it (if u know what I mean)?

ReputationRep:
    It is noble of u to stick to your guns, I haven't ...

Can deffo see the Picasso influence in these works , certainly in the faces (am I right?).

He sounds like a cool guy tho is there any reason why he rejected Slade? Too academic? Or was he too good for it (if u know what I mean)?
    I've banned the name Picasso from my life, but yes it's inspired by some of his early drawings of women. None of that cubism stuff, never a fan.

Well do you make because you enjoy and it represents you and the ideas you have, or do you make because you think it's a good idea and you're being artistic? give me a good answer haha

Ummm as far as I remember he rejected it because he didn't like the working environment, which is fair enough. I think he thought it was really small. He ended up going abroad.

ReputationRep:
    I've banned the name Picasso from my life, but yes it's inspired by some of his early drawings of women. None of that cubism stuff, never a fan.

Well do you make because you enjoy and it represents you and the ideas you have, or do you make because you think it's a good idea and you're being artistic? give me a good answer haha

Ummm as far as I remember he rejected it because he didn't like the working environment, which is fair enough. I think he thought it was really small. He ended up going abroad.

His women are evident in your work undoubtadly, I went through a Picasso phase myself, mostly with his blue period and later works, scultpure, drawings etc

I was never so obsessed with art, In yr 12 I wanted to write novels/essays a lot and art was kind of my reluctant talent that I could squeeze money and prestige out of. But I make work now because I love what I do and they represent the ideas, thoughts, feelings I have. Especially come to think of it with sculpture. I used to love illustrating and painting but both have become a chore and I can;t get past the fact that they're 2D and you can't alter them by moving them or lighting them differently. Funny how this has only arisen in my mind in the past fortnight or so. Are you the same? Are you a puritan or a money-grabbing YBA?

ReputationRep:
    His women are evident in your work undoubtadly, I went through a Picasso phase myself, mostly with his blue period and later works, scultpure, drawings etc

I was never so obsessed with art, In yr 12 I wanted to write novels/essays a lot and art was kind of my reluctant talent that I could squeeze money and prestige out of. But I make work now because I love what I do and they represent the ideas, thoughts, feelings I have. Especially come to think of it with sculpture. I used to love illustrating and painting but both have become a chore and I can;t get past the fact that they're 2D and you can't alter them by moving them or lighting them differently. Funny how this has only arisen in my mind in the past fortnight or so. Are you the same? Are you a puritan or a money-grabbing YBA?
    The drawings more come from a lesser known artist than Picasso. It's just very few faces I do that are like his.

It's weird because I've always been obsessed with art, just something I'e always done. I love that we're randomly getting into a discussion about this. So you started of with the "money and prestige" but do you think that if you hasn't gone through that period you wouldn't love what you do now. Whenever you mention art you talk about how you used to "paint, draw, sculpt". It sounds like you still want to do all that stuff. I get what you mean by a chore though, as sometimes you have to get stuck into something before it becomes worth while.
    You see I find the exact opposite! With Film you are filming the world. You can make everything and film that but it just doesn't feel like mine. I'm just lighting the world. But when I'm painting or sculpting I am making directly from my head. Everything about it is just me which is really weird. So even if it's super 2D it can be altered in so many ways as it's from the perspective you want.
    It's weird how we all feel so differently about these things. I've never made art for money. I've done several commissions but that was just by chance people liked my work after I'd made it and then made them some more. But it was cool as they just let me make what I wanted. The day I stop making art for me is the day I stop art all together.

ReputationRep:
    The drawings more come from a lesser known artist than Picasso. It's just very few faces I do that are like his.

It's weird because I've always been obsessed with art, just something I'e always done. I love that we're randomly getting into a discussion about this. So you started of with the "money and prestige" but do you think that if you hasn't gone through that period you wouldn't love what you do now. Whenever you mention art you talk about how you used to "paint, draw, sculpt". It sounds like you still want to do all that stuff. I get what you mean by a chore though, as sometimes you have to get stuck into something before it becomes worth while.
    You see I find the exact opposite! With Film you are filming the world. You can make everything and film that but it just doesn't feel like mine. I'm just lighting the world. But when I'm painting or sculpting I am making directly from my head. Everything about it is just me which is really weird. So even if it's super 2D it can be altered in so many ways as it's from the perspective you want.
    It's weird how we all feel so differently about these things. I've never made art for money. I've done several commissions but that was just by chance people liked my work after I'd made it and then made them some more. But it was cool as they just let me make what I wanted. The day I stop making art for me is the day I stop art all together.

I've done the odd commission but never got anything other than experience out of it. In fact I only did them to fund my films!

I suppose my love of film comes from a need to capture life and control it, in a way to make my own universe. Another less visceral explanation might be that Film is still a young medium and one that is, as P.Greenaway notes, 'relatively unexplored'. Ground is still to be broken, this with it's constant technological revolution, note 4D, gopros and webcams, makes for an exciting medium.

Do you see yourself then as a full time artist in the future?

ReputationRep:
    I've done the odd commission but never got anything other than experience out of it. In fact I only did them to fund my films!

I suppose my love of film comes from a need to capture life and control it, in a way to make my own universe. Another less visceral explanation might be that Film is still a young medium and one that is, as P.Greenaway notes, 'relatively unexplored'. Ground is still to be broken, this with it's constant technological revolution, note 4D, gopros and webcams, makes for an exciting medium.

Do you see yourself then as a full time artist in the future?
    Same, I only did 4 of my commissions to fund my work going in a gallery. But the rest where just people liking it.
    That is a good point, film can be explored. I think I'm a bit picky about film as I have seen some very odd stuff. And I'm not sure if it's the film I'm supposed to like or the stuff in it. When is something a bit of film and when is the subject art? sometimes I find it hard to tell.

No... realistically I have a 001% chance of making it. I'm going into curation. I love it. I sort of like organizing and having ideas. It's a way for me to be inspired by other people's art and have my own input on it. I guess I really just like looking at it. But I can still make art for myself on the side lines.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.