Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Get A*A*A at A level in Biology Chemistry and maths or physics and you're sorted

ReputationRep:
    Well, your GCSEs are a good indicator that you'd be 'eligible' to apply to Cambridge, but there's a lot more to an Oxbridge application than GCSEs. I think you'd be best asking your teachers about your potential. You also need to aim for an average of at least 90% in your AS levels for Cambridge - Oxford are a lot more lenient on AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonie9995)
    Thanks =]
    I hope I'll get at least one A* but they are really hard to get.
    Would you suggest doing 3 of 4 A2s next year?
    The only reason you should take a 4th A-level is for your own enjoyment and if you're capable. Also, taking a non-scientific subject as an extra A-level can add a little more depth and interest to a heavily scientific application (i.e. studying a language might encourage some interesting interview questions). But studying 4 won't inherently increase your chances of getting in. And bear in mind that for Cambridge the 90% AS average stands whether you take 3, 4, or 10 AS levels!

ReputationRep:
    Really before you decide on Cambridge as your "highest" medical school you should ask if you're going to be happy on a course that practically doesn't let you set foot inside a hospital until three years in, or whether you'd prefer earlier clinical contact.

ReputationRep:
    Aim 4 da starzzzz. :moon:

(Get A*AA and you can get into any Uni you like in terms of your academics)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot =]
    I just wanted to run it by someone to see if it was out of my reach!
    CONGRATZ ON YOUR OFFER! Thats fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    :ta:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Yr 12 at the moment and really want to go to medical school! I'm currently studying Biol, Chem, Phys, Maths and History. I got 9A*s and an A at GCSE, and have so far had work experience in Psychiatry, Public health, GP and orthopaedic surgery, and volunteer at a hospital at weekends. I do trampolining at a fairly high standard, but that's pretty much my only extracurricular.
    My real problem is that I have no way of knowing how high to aim! I would really like to go for Cambridge if it is realistic, but if it's not, then i need to know before I waste an application place.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding how high to aim, or any suggestions you might have to do with applications and entry to med school!
    Thanks
    You sounds like a nice individual, and so long as you perform well at interview, which you should with a down to earth attitude, I see no reason why you wouldn't get a place. Maybe worth a thought- if you're aiming for Cambridge for prestige, it's worth bearing in mind that when it comes to medicine, all unis are pretty much equal. But, best of luck!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.