Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canthardlywait)
    We've been denied study leave.
    Damn!!! Why??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Politics Unit 2 is being massively rushed, just handouts that are now strewn across anything I own. We also don't have a book, which doesn't make it much easier. Daamn I need to start revising this ****. Not sure if we have study leave either....

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. They were stupid lessons where were told to make powerpoints and present them to the class, when in reality all that was needed was some notes being made, which would take half a lesson.
    Ergh, I despise being told to make powerpoints to present. Especially when the teacher decides to pair you up with someone you havn't spoken to at all for the majortiy of the year!

And a few weeks ago my english literature class was made to act out scenes of Othello to the class in small groups. All I had going through my head was, "THIS IS NOT F**KING DRAMA, WTF WOMAN"

ReputationRep:
    They threaten us saying we will fail our exams like its our fault? :lolwut:

What really gets me is my English teacher who has missed 10 lessons due to illness, yet she has the audacity to tell me off for being 5 minutes late saying I smell of 'morrisons breakfasts'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Damn!!! Why??? :confused:
    None of the students were even aware you can have it for alevels, and teachers have been all hush hush about it, i think they fear a rebellion. They prevent us from going out during frees aswel, even are aware of all students who do work during frees and those who jsut sit there.

ReputationRep:
    hey that's happening in my classes too. I think it has something to do with exams being pushed towards the beginning of may

ReputationRep:
    None of the students were even aware you can have it for alevels, and teachers have been all hush hush about it, i think they fear a rebellion. They prevent us from going out during frees aswel, even are aware of all students who do work during frees and those who jsut sit there.
    Ahh - we're not allowed to go out in morning frees either (before lunch) after lunch, we can do what we want (if we have frees)

ReputationRep:
    Ahh - we're not allowed to go out in morning frees either (before lunch) after lunch, we can do what we want (if we have frees)
    can we ask for study leave , or is it there decision completley

ReputationRep:
    Really? We finished the whole A2 chemistry syllabus about 3-4 weeks ago. Admittedly it was slightly rushed, but no more rushed than AS and GCSE (where our teacher told us to self-teach an entire unit).

ReputationRep:
    can we ask for study leave , or is it there decision completley
    I remember last year for GCSEs when we were told we'd only get 1 week for study leave that we ('we' being the students) would "call the authorities" - but our maths teacher said that it's completely up to the school to do what it likes. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I remember last year for GCSEs when we were told we'd only get 1 week for study leave that we ('we' being the students) would "call the authorities" - but our maths teacher said that it's completely up to the school to do what it likes. :sadnod:
    Arhhh damn. They can't teach, yet won't even let us teach ourselves. I think since smart boards came into school, passion died.

ReputationRep:
    This is happening in MY 6th form, we hardly understood anything and they are already doing mock papers 0_o and it really doesnt help when teachers are soo crap, sometimes it really feels like they just want to make sure they covered or even mentioned parts of the syllabus but not actually teach it because they can be bothered with it!

ReputationRep:
    think we mite be going to the same college :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Unit 5 chemistry and biology. We've done just that.

My French was even more rushed since the oral exams were earlier than expected and we needed to have finished by a few weeks ahead of schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Same. It's boring as well.

It seems like the teacher use someone eles' brain when teaching us. If you get what I mean?

All we did was just taking ****loads of notes which majority of them goes in the bin and never get looked at again. :dontknow:
    Especially when he prints all 100 pages of the budget out for each person

ReputationRep:
    Yep -.-
    I mean, we haven't got any more critical thinking lessons left now and we're not even half-way through the syllabus -.-
    Many of the teachers are telling us that we need to 'Self-teach' bits of the syllabus for example, for chemistry.... Makes me wonder why I bother turning up to sixth form! :L

ReputationRep:
    Not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemstar!)
    Yep -.-
    I mean, we haven't got any more critical thinking lessons left now and we're not even half-way through the syllabus -.-
    Many of the teachers are telling us that we need to 'Self-teach' bits of the syllabus for example, for chemistry.... Makes me wonder why I bother turning up to sixth form! :L
    Sciences are subjects that simply cannot be rushed. Content is rather big,clear understanding is key. I do chemistry aswel, and honestly i would love if the teacher would let us just make our own notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpySapper)
    Especially when he prints all 100 pages of the budget out for each person
    :lol:

My teacher printed out the government manifesto and asked us to 'highlight key points'. It wasn't even politics, it was business.

ReputationRep:
    Our school does this too in sixth form. Most teachers here just find it easier, they don't have to do so much work. They can just use the same power points and tell us to copy them. I never learned anything from this. After my first year in upper secondary school I just stopped making notes and sat there reading my book and underlining some senteces. Some teachers got really angry because of this and probably would have put me in detention if we had detetions in sixth form.

It was a lot more helpful because I had read the book in no time and if I didn't understand something, I was able to ask questions straight away. I have never liked the way teachers teach us. It's very slow, boring and very confusing. They have no time to teach necessary things because they talk about some useless details or their last night's dream. It's waste of time if you ask me. You spend 75 minutes writing down something you don't even understand because those notes are made by a teacher, not you.

(Original post by street.lovin')
    He just thought all the random conversation about the stuffs related to the subjects were relevant to the syllabus when it was not.
    There are too many teachers in my sixth form who tell every day how much they like to travel to Hungary or that they saw a dream where they threw all their diaries over a bridge. Most students in this school got very poor result from our final exams (Finnish school system in question) and still our headmaster dares to say that it's all our fault and that we are just stupid losers. I was lucky because I knew that one of our student counsellors shows us which teachers teach in which courses. Our dear headmaster has said that we have no right to know which teachers teach in which courses. The reason for this is mostly because there are teachers who don't teach students and then there are some slightly crazy ones... They wouldn't have any students left in their courses if people would be able to choose the teacher.

(Original post by Bektas)
    And a few weeks ago my english literature class was made to act out scenes of Othello to the class in small groups. All I had going through my head was, "THIS IS NOT F**KING DRAMA, WTF WOMAN"
    Omg, we have a teacher like this! Well, in my case it's Finnish and literature. It's ridiculous. Once we had to act a rape scene. It was pretty disturbing. And in reality we should study theory about understanding texts and how to write down what you understand. There are strict rles how you have to do it. I mean, many of her students almost failed our final exams because they had not learned ANYTHING. And as a subject Finnish and literature isn't something that you just read from your books and then you get an A from your exam. You constantly need comments from your teacher but this teacher in question just didn't even give any assignments! Almost all parents complained about her but our headmaster just keeps saying that it's our fault that we are this stupid. Thank god I had another teachers after my first year...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.