Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend hates makeup/fed up of my acne watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is in Health & Relationships rather than Beauty because I want to keep anon.

This sounds like such a stupid problem but it just makes me feel ****. Today my boyfriend and I were watching tv and a foundation advert came on and he started commenting on how much he hates foundation as he says it's like paint and he doesn't see the point. And I just sat there thinking like "great this is a hint at me". The thing is I would LOVE to be a girl who doesn't have to wear foundation, but my skin is so bad that I have to. I struggle to keep control of my acne and it gets me so down that I feel self conscious without foundation on.

I don't even know what I'm trying to ask here. I'm just fed up and wish my skin would sort itself out, I mean I'm almost 21 and I look like I have the skin of a 15 year old. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to wear this makeup.

Any miracle cleansing regime out there that I don't know about? I feel like I've tried everything. I wish I had clear skin so bad
    http://www.acnescript.com/

Surprisingly, it actually ****ing works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Hun I'm in exactly the same boat- also nearly 21- nothing the docs give me have worked, including the supposed miracle cure roaccutane, although it did help a little. Nowhere near enough to make the side effects worth it, though. I don't really have anything positive to say, just saying that I'm in the same boat that's all! xxx
    Ugh, and I'm just about to get an appointment with the Docs to beg to see a dermatologist/ go on roaccutane. You'd think with so many people suffering from acne at all different stages of life they'd know more about it than to offer one of a long list of anti-bios or something that is so bad for you in other ways.

Did you try much before roaccutane?

OP. Just tell your boyfriend you're not happy with how your skin is and until it clears up you are going to be at least trying to cover it up a little. Who wouldn't? I stick to using mineral foundations from Clinique and Vie and they don't irritate my skin like others have. As other posters have said, if it matches your skin colour then there shouldn't be anything noticeably 'bad' about wearing it.

Vie sell a concealer called Correct and Perfect. The green shade is fabulous for dulling red angry areas, the purple is a lovely highlighter - although not everyone needs it (I use it on the outer edges of eyes) - and the concealers give pretty good coverage, whih you can blend together to match your skin tone.

Cliniques's anti blemish liquid foundation has pretty good coverage and it goes on thin and dries quickly - feels pretty good.

Hope you find a solution for your skin soon x

ReputationRep:
    Urgh! I had acne too. There are 2 things I hate to hear regarding makeup and spots:

"Don't cover it up, you only have spots because you put spot concealer on them." I think, Yes, I put a dab of concealer on a spot on my FOREHEAD because I loooked stupid. I now have a spot on my CHIN. If your theory made sense, I would have had to leave my throbbing forehead uncovered and put concealer all over my clear chin, or else I would always have a clear chin and a chronic persistant wound on my head. OK, so makeup is not healthy for skin, but its NOT the diference between china-doll skin and pizza skin. I never wore makeup and sxchool and my acne got worse, I know girls who have radiant blemish-free skin and have caked their face in foundation everyday for years.

Secondly, I hate people saying "Don't cover up your acne, accept who you are and be proud." OK. So, what are you saying? I am a face of inflamed white pustules, I am not a goth, raver, or girl-next-door, I am pus. Pustules are my life, I am not destined to be a doctor, architect or police officer. I am here purely to be ugly and unloved, I am different, I am hideous, I am a face of volcanic acne, and I love it.

Sorry, needed to rant, I'm sure you'll agree!
    The honest truth is that if you are unhappy and rip-off watered down face creams don't do anything for you, going to the doctor and getting some pills, or even, if the worst comes to the worst, laser surgery is worth it. Even if it is bad for you in the long run, its probably no worse than peeling off your skin everyday, bringing yourself out in a rash, wasting all your money and then being depressed about it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    I went to the Docs. the other day about a sudden flare up that had taken to squatting on my chin for months.

He prescribed Duac gel and one week later, my skin is virtually blemish free! It's a bit drying though so daily exfoliation and lots of moisturising is needed but it's definitely worth it! I went out without any face make-up on at all today for the first time in months :borat:.
    I use it too - it's immense!!

ReputationRep:
    Switch brands of foundation? Maybe there's one out there that looks less heavy/more natural?

ReputationRep:
    This is in Health & Relationships rather than Beauty because I want to keep anon.

This sounds like such a stupid problem but it just makes me feel ****. Today my boyfriend and I were watching tv and a foundation advert came on and he started commenting on how much he hates foundation as he says it's like paint and he doesn't see the point. And I just sat there thinking like "great this is a hint at me". The thing is I would LOVE to be a girl who doesn't have to wear foundation, but my skin is so bad that I have to. I struggle to keep control of my acne and it gets me so down that I feel self conscious without foundation on.

I don't even know what I'm trying to ask here. I'm just fed up and wish my skin would sort itself out, I mean I'm almost 21 and I look like I have the skin of a 15 year old. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to wear this makeup.

Any miracle cleansing regime out there that I don't know about? I feel like I've tried everything. I wish I had clear skin so bad
    I may be younger than you, but I feel, or have felt your pain. I suffered with acne since I was 9 years old, and eventually it was gone when I was 16. I am 17 now, and frequently get complimented on how beautiful my skin looks etc and I now get a LOT of attention from guys - something that never happened before. I then started a treatment of Isotretrinoin/Accutane and I've never looked back. I went from the shy girl who hated herself, looked down when she spoke to people and always had to get up an hour early to do her makeup and worry about people knocking on her door if she had no make-up on, to the girl who smiles from ear to ear when she sees her reflection in the mirror, and having the confidence to behave like a normal teenager! It may sound corny, but it's true. I can honestly say my life has improved so much since this miracle drug. Normally, I am embarrassed to show before and after pictures, but just for the sake of this thread and your peace of mind, here you go!:
    Before treatment (no makeup): http://img560.imageshack.us/i/startoftreatment.jpg/

After treatment (no makeup): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/albu...pictureid=6503

Nothing but freckles no spots to be seen! Hope this helped, and gave you some hope! Feel free to pm me for more advice/tips/information x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Ugh, and I'm just about to get an appointment with the Docs to beg to see a dermatologist/ go on roaccutane. You'd think with so many people suffering from acne at all different stages of life they'd know more about it than to offer one of a long list of anti-bios or something that is so bad for you in other ways.

Did you try much before roaccutane?
    I tried erythromycin, couple of contraceptive pills, several different types of cream, goodness knows how many different types of facewash.. and the doctors recommended that I didn't wear makeup because my skin is sensitive to pretty much everything.. but then I just thought you know what why should I live like this when I could cover it up a little. So now I wear foundation and don't care what my skin's like underneath.. bad as that sounds.

Nothing worked that great.. although actually, for me, what helped clear my skin up more than anything I've ever tried was when I went on a health kick and started drinking loads of water! But still doesn't clear up completely. It's miserable!

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I find that ever works, is drinking water, and lots of it! I must drink about 3-4 litres a day and I only ever get spots when I'm on my period now instead of all the time. It might be worth giving it a go if it's getting you down. Also, you said that what the doctors give you dries out your skin. It's expensive, but try products from Lush. Such as moisturiser to combat the dryness, or indeed try actual spot stuff from Lush. It's all natural and fantastic for your skin. I use it, although I don't have a lot of spots now, I did used to when I was younger. My sister uses it and although she still has spots, her skin is clearer. Hope that this helps you or gives you some more ideas in the least x

ReputationRep:
    It's not like that - he just wants to see me naturally cause apparently I'm naturally beautiful, but as you say the make up makes me feel better personally cause I don't wanna go out with spots on my face. I do think what he's saying is lovely, but it just sucks I feel I can't give it up until my skin clears
    Pick a week during the Easter/summer holidays where you say "ok I'm not going to see you for a week, to try and sort this acne out". Then spend the entire week without applying foundation AT ALL, and try some prescription from your GP. It's like a lot of things in life, sometimes you have to take a step backwards (i.e. not covering yourself in foundation) in order to take multiple steps forward.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry, I often get break-outs of spots on my face, and sometimes even on my chest and back due to recurring bouts of tonsilitis - which makes me mega self conscious
    I don't wear make-up though, so you can imagine, I'm not the most confident of ppl
    I've recently started using this new toner cleansing thing, followed by a Nivea 'Reduce Spots in 4hrs' Cream stuff followed by Asda 'Matt Moisturiser' - seems to be working, atm, *touch wood*
    I wash my face in clean warm water though occasionally I use a face scrub when they get really bad
    I've tried everything, it's just a case of trial and error Aloe Vera gel and Sudocrem work well too, though these are best used at night for obvious reasons
    All the Best!! Just know that you are not alone with this situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    He sounds like a ****.

There is a girl in my year who wears wear to much make up and people call her 'cement mixer face'. Its really out of order imo. Yes girls do sometimes wear too much but in today's society where girls are trying to live up to 'ideals' put in place by the media I can understand why. If a girl needs make up to be secure and happy, who am I to say whats the point...

I think you should have an argument with him and if he doesn't change his opinions dump and find a boy who respects you.
    wow. i just fell a little bit in love with you :love: how nice are you!

to the OP, it was really insensitive of him to say that... but remember, he's your BF so he obviously loves you and fancies you, or else he wouldnt be with you!

also, foundation = wonder-product! im a zombie/vampire hybrid until i have my 'face' on. some boys just dont understand the magic of a bit of well-applied makeup, so dont let him get you down!

(Original post by Jadelyndsey)
    I may be younger than you, but I feel, or have felt your pain. I suffered with acne since I was 9 years old, and eventually it was gone when I was 16. I am 17 now, and frequently get complimented on how beautiful my skin looks etc and I now get a LOT of attention from guys - something that never happened before. I then started a treatment of Isotretrinoin/Accutane and I've never looked back. I went from the shy girl who hated herself, looked down when she spoke to people and always had to get up an hour early to do her makeup and worry about people knocking on her door if she had no make-up on, to the girl who smiles from ear to ear when she sees her reflection in the mirror, and having the confidence to behave like a normal teenager! It may sound corny, but it's true. I can honestly say my life has improved so much since this miracle drug. Normally, I am embarrassed to show before and after pictures, but just for the sake of this thread and your peace of mind, here you go!:
    Before treatment (no makeup): http://img560.imageshack.us/i/startoftreatment.jpg/

After treatment (no makeup): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/albu...pictureid=6503

Nothing but freckles no spots to be seen! Hope this helped, and gave you some hope! Feel free to pm me for more advice/tips/information x

Your skin looks beautiful, you must be so much happier! I'm not keen on using drug treatments but I'm so glad that it worked for you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah go see the doctor, it is so easy. Also tell the Dr that the other creams dried your skin out so he can give you something better.

Zineryt was effective for me

ReputationRep:
    well, I'm in the same situation
    and I'm older than 21 ><
    but ppl thinks me younger cause of the acne ....!!!!

so I'm fed up with all the treatments in the market and started roaccutane (still on 16th day)
    but i hope this will work with me ^^

waiting for the day to go out without make up

I'm using now Dior foundation and it merge perfectly with the skin and looks so natural but covers the spots better than any other foundation i used before ^^

cheer up and have a heartily talk with ur bf, he'll support u for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    I hate people saying "Don't cover up your acne, accept who you are and be proud." OK. So, what are you saying? I am a face of inflamed white pustules, I am not a goth, raver, or girl-next-door, I am pus. Pustules are my life, I am not destined to be a doctor, architect or police officer. I am here purely to be ugly and unloved, I am different, I am hideous, I am a face of volcanic acne, and I love it.
    I'm really sorry for your problem, but I just have to say that this paragraph really made me laugh. Kudos on the writing skillz

ReputationRep:
    Your skin looks beautiful, you must be so much happier! I'm not keen on using drug treatments but I'm so glad that it worked for you
    Oh thank you And yes I am! People whom I haven't seen since I was about 11 years old often tell me that I look and act like a different person!

Ah I see :/ Yeh, with this drug in particular too, there were so many side affects, and you were NOT under any circumstances to drink alcohol, which is almost out of the question for any female in her 20's :P Anyway, I hope it gets better! I can almost guarantee that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

ReputationRep:
    There was a thread on here somewhere about make-up products you couldn't live without, and a lot of the stuff on there was about Ponds cold cream (or something like that, I forget exactly what it's called), which - if I remember right - people were praising for it's ability to moisturise and cleanse your skin, so that you can use the horrible face drying out stuff to get rid of the spot and then moisturise with the cream and then it's all good.

(apologies if I've got this all mixed up, it was a couple weeks back and I'm horribly sleep deprived)

ReputationRep:
    The make-up may actually be interfering with your skin clearing up.

Wsh your face every morning and every night, don't put greasy hands / dirty hands over your face - wash your face again if you feel it getting greasy. Try and keep your hair from poking into your face as well.

Try and use special soap for your face, and don't use too much on your face. Make sure you wash it all off afterwards (if not, the soap will clog up your pores).

Eat lots of fruit and vegetables. I find I get a bit spotty when I eat more processed foods (pastries, junk food etc). If you eat a nice share of fruits and veg for several days, you'll probably notice it getting at least somewhat better. : )

Finally, I think there are lots of skin products designed for getting rid of the spots, and then keeping the face fresh and clean (such as Clearasil etc).
    Perhaps you can tell your bf you will stop using foundation, but you will put that investment towards other skin products, which will make your natural skin nicer and better. : )

Anyway - try not to be too self-conscious about it! And good luck I'm sure it isn't as bad as you feel it might be. ^^

ReputationRep:
    I understand you, I have got the same type of skin like your: sensitive and dry +stress problem=horror .. I've tried many things and even many expensive cosmetics but nothing helps!
    Finally I've explore what works for my skin (recipy from Grandma) - I make cleaning mask from 1 coffee spoon of baking soda (soda bicarbonate) and 2 teaspoons of flour made pulp with little water as to achieve a good consistency for spreading on the face -for 15 min. time (you can put baking soda as well into shower gel the result is georgeous).
    And then I moisturise my face: lay olive oil with a cotton swab and even then I do not need any creams, the feeling of comfort is amazing (especially I do that at bedtime) : no itching, no irritation..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    He sounds like a ****.

There is a girl in my year who wears wear to much make up and people call her 'cement mixer face'. Its really out of order imo. Yes girls do sometimes wear too much but in today's society where girls are trying to live up to 'ideals' put in place by the media I can understand why. If a girl needs make up to be secure and happy, who am I to say whats the point...

I think you should have an argument with him and if he doesn't change his opinions dump and find a boy who respects you.
    Awww! Wow, a boy who understands :o:$ <3

I take back every nasty comment I ever made about men.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.