Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend hates makeup/fed up of my acne watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to have fairly bad skin (I wouldn't say I had bad acne, but I was self conscious about it and used to always wear foundation to cover it up). I used and still used Vichy Normaderm products, they're not very cheap but also not expensive and one bottle last ages. There's a cleanser, moisturisers, concealer, lots of things really, and although my skin doesn't generally dry out the moisturisers are really nice when my skin occasionally becomes dry because they don't make your skin oily. To be honest I think there are lots of products similar to these and if you clean your face well twice or even three times a day that should make a difference (although you probably know that and it's been mentioned by other people).

I think what most helped my skin though was going on the pill (I use Yasmin). It took a few months but my skin is a lot better than it used to be, and I don't feel the need to wear makeup all the time anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike make-up - it can enhance beauty. It's just that this generation is crazy for it. I always wondered why they have to wear for literally everything. I saw girls coming into secondary school with make-up on and it looked so thick and their skin had a matte finish that disallowed any reflection. It was unattractive. I've had teachers send girls away to wash it off.

Will foundation make your skin better? maybe it's the make-up that is preventing your skin from improving. Won't it make your face "dirty"? Remember, make-up doesn't make people beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah I have, but all the creams they've put me on have dried out my skin even worse (I have naturally sensitive skin) even if I moisturise tons. I don't really want to go on tablets. But I know what you mean the foundation doesn't do my skin any favours but it's like a never ending circle. I need to find products that work for me but it's becoming so expensive in the process!
    go on the pill

ReputationRep:
    This is in Health & Relationships rather than Beauty because I want to keep anon.

This sounds like such a stupid problem but it just makes me feel ****. Today my boyfriend and I were watching tv and a foundation advert came on and he started commenting on how much he hates foundation as he says it's like paint and he doesn't see the point. And I just sat there thinking like "great this is a hint at me". The thing is I would LOVE to be a girl who doesn't have to wear foundation, but my skin is so bad that I have to. I struggle to keep control of my acne and it gets me so down that I feel self conscious without foundation on.

I don't even know what I'm trying to ask here. I'm just fed up and wish my skin would sort itself out, I mean I'm almost 21 and I look like I have the skin of a 15 year old. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to wear this makeup.

Any miracle cleansing regime out there that I don't know about? I feel like I've tried everything. I wish I had clear skin so bad
    I once put foundation on a guy friend (lol) and he absolutely hated the feeling of it. As girls I guess we're just used to it?

My boyfriend has told me a few times that I look great without makeup on, but I still don't believe him . I'm also 21 and get acne. If you really don't like your acne, see your GP. They will try you on topical stuff, or antibiotics, or the Pill or may refer you to a dermatologist for something stronger if these don't work. You don't have to put up with it! x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, but all the creams they've put me on have dried out my skin even worse (I have naturally sensitive skin) even if I moisturise tons. I don't really want to go on tablets. But I know what you mean the foundation doesn't do my skin any favours but it's like a never ending circle. I need to find products that work for me but it's becoming so expensive in the process!
    Seriously go back and go on the tablets. I used to have it really bad, went on them for a few months and now i have pretty clear skin and never wear foundation

ReputationRep:
    I found that not wearing any skin makeup and washing my face with a hot flannel twice a day did the trick, I realise not all skin problems can be fixed by cleanliness but it should show some improvement.

Use gentle cleansery things if you use any at all, and head to your GP if it's still that bad!

ReputationRep:
    * oh and going on the Pill cleared up even more of me skin (Microgynon 30, it ma favourite although it's not for everyone)

ReputationRep:
    Using sunbeds for about 6 minutes per week, and going in the steam room at the gym for at least 10-15 minutes per session (4-5 times per week) has drastically improved my skin since I started doing it about 4 month ago. I have moderate acne, sensitive skin and an oily face and all of those have improved. Keep hydrated too and make a point of washing your face with hot water before you go to bed and when you wake up

ReputationRep:
    Try lush facial scrubs! I use 'dark angels' twice a week and 'herbalism' all the other days, and it cleared up my skin like a miracle! Also - and this is really important!! - sleep! 8 or 9 hours a day if you can, it's the best working way to get clear skin.

ReputationRep:
    jizz is good for acne

ReputationRep:
    This is in Health & Relationships rather than Beauty because I want to keep anon.

This sounds like such a stupid problem but it just makes me feel ****. Today my boyfriend and I were watching tv and a foundation advert came on and he started commenting on how much he hates foundation as he says it's like paint and he doesn't see the point. And I just sat there thinking like "great this is a hint at me". The thing is I would LOVE to be a girl who doesn't have to wear foundation, but my skin is so bad that I have to. I struggle to keep control of my acne and it gets me so down that I feel self conscious without foundation on.

I don't even know what I'm trying to ask here. I'm just fed up and wish my skin would sort itself out, I mean I'm almost 21 and I look like I have the skin of a 15 year old. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to wear this makeup.

Any miracle cleansing regime out there that I don't know about? I feel like I've tried everything. I wish I had clear skin so bad
    I used to have acne but then i used this and now i have clear skin

http://www.clean-and-clear.co.uk/adv...FUlkfAod9Tsatg

IT REALLY WORKS - seriously I tried everything from £120 facial kits to salon facials themselves and this is £15 and worked wonders for me xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise107)
    Try lush facial scrubs! I use 'dark angels' twice a week and 'herbalism' all the other days, and it cleared up my skin like a miracle! Also - and this is really important!! - sleep! 8 or 9 hours a day if you can, it's the best working way to get clear skin.
    i love dark angels use it regularly x

Honestly talk to your doctors. They can prescribe medication for acne that works, i would know seeing as i took it and after the treatment my skin is completely clear (well, save the odd spot every know and then). The medication i was on is hell, (nausea, extremely dry skin, fatigue, no alcohol allowed, not allowed in the sun...) but it was definitely worth it!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally have acne at all (I'm the other end of things - absurdly dry skin and very prone to facial eczema), but have you tried any Clinique products at all? I've heard people on this forum speak very good words about it with regards to acne, and Liz Earle would maybe be another one to take a look at if you haven't already? My other suggestions (bar getting yourself to the doctors) that others have also suggested - contraceptive pill! I know a few people who it's done absolute wonders for their skin for. Hope you find a solution soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smem)
    All I can suggest is don't be afraid of pills - dianette (the contraceptive) can apparently work wonders on skin.

dianette is meant to be awesome but i'm on it and it's done NOTHING for me ughhh

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend hates me wearing make up too, wearing make up was too much of an effort anyway in the mornings, so I stopped. But I still had a problem with spots, until I started eating less junk food, drinking lots of water and using vaseline petroleum jelly on my face, now I get very few spots! Try it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhoughton93)
    try the liz earle cleanse and polish, this really cleared my skin up!
    hi i am just about to buy this.. is it really worth the money because it is quite expensive and i am worried that i might regret spending so much.. do u just use the cleanse and polish.. or do u buy the toner and moisturiser as well? thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.