Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, TSR.
    I am reading 'L'étranger' by Albert Camus in which an Arab is shot by a french man and the man is sentenced with the death penalty. I am told by my teacher that it would've been looked down on less by the courts because they saw Arabs as a nuisance. I'm curious to know why there was this dislike?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The French can't handle that the people they have less regard for are actually better than them and that the Arab language is much more pleasing to the ear than that noise that people call French.

ReputationRep:
    It seems everyone hates everyone nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: There's me thinking there was some serious, political reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    It seems everyone hates everyone nowadays.
    Why would everyone hate himself? Joke, but yeah lots of hatred around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banoffeepie16)
    Hello, TSR.
    I am reading 'L'étranger' by Albert Camus in which an Arab is shot by a french man and the man is sentenced with the death penalty. I am told by my teacher that it would've been looked down on less by the courts because they saw Arabs as a nuisance. I'm curious to know why there was this dislike?

Thank you.
    You really didn't understand what the novel was about, did you ? It is about absurdity.

Where does your idea that French not like Arab come from ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    why does everyone dislike the french,is the question
    I think its only the British/Americans...

ReputationRep:
    The French don't really like anyone. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    You really didn't understand what the novel was about, did you ? It is about absurdity.

Where does your idea that French not like Arab come from ?
    I know the novel is based around absurdity and could be looked at as a novel of exsistentialism- I have studied the novel in depth. My question was prompted by something my French teacher told me. She said that in the French Government there were crimes which were 'put under the rug' and ignored because they involved Arabs. She told me there was a dislike towards them. That is all, I'm not suggesting it's a theme in the book. Was a question of curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    French hate Arabs because they invaded some Arab countries and colonised them. Same reason British people hate "Pakis".

ReputationRep:
    I know the novel is based around absurdity and could be looked at as a novel of exsistentialism- I have studied the novel in depth. My question was prompted by something my French teacher told me. She said that in the French Government there were crimes which were 'put under the rug' and ignored because they involved Arabs. She told me there was a dislike towards them. That is all, I'm not suggesting it's a theme in the book. Was a question of curiosity.
    Oh, I suppose she was talking about stuff which append sometimes in colony, I suppose you had the same kind of stuff in the UK. Metropolitan vs Indigenous etc. No particular hate, it was just the standard colonial stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    I think its only the British/Americans...
    yeah thats us.. so everyone.
    actually, cdountries with populated relgions dislike them as well. for banning symbolical religious signs. why dont they bann pedofilia.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: There's me thinking there was some serious, political reason
    Maybe the whole mentality that the life of the "civillised" colonisers was worth more then that of an Arab. Brilliant book, I started reading the Rebel, also by him, today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.