Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I'm in my first year of Pharmacy and I just feel so bored when doing the law side, dispensing or anything to do with Community, hospital or Industrial pharmacy! I do enjoy the Biology and chemistry Modules though!

I am doing really well at the moment ( barring laws and ethics in pharmacy module – im on 59% so far) and I’m not finding it stressful like most students are!

For example during my dispensing class’s I was feeling like ‘I couldn’t be bothered’. If I don’t like it or feel this way now then as a future pharmacist I could be the same way and make mistakes and therefore could kill a patient. During the laws and ethics in pharmacy module I keep going to sleep and I don’t feel like revising it because it is so boring! Also during practical’s ( when you have to make up products and labels for it) I just don’t feel like doing it and so I quickly write up my method ect and just finish of the product as quickly as possible….

I got AAB during my A-levels and I didn’t get into Med.. but now I wish that I took a gap year and re-applied to med!.. I just don’t know whats going on! I wanted to be a person who solved the problem not giving out medication and refering patients half the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic1992)
    Hi guys!
    I'm in my first year of Pharmacy and I just feel so bored when doing the law side, dispensing or anything to do with Community, hospital or Industrial pharmacy! I do enjoy the Biology and chemistry Modules though!

I am doing really well at the moment ( barring laws and ethics in pharmacy module – im on 59% so far) and I’m not finding it stressful like most students are!

For example during my dispensing class’s I was feeling like ‘I couldn’t be bothered’. If I don’t like it or feel this way now then as a future pharmacist I could be the same way and make mistakes and therefore could kill a patient. During the laws and ethics in pharmacy module I keep going to sleep and I don’t feel like revising it because it is so boring! Also during practical’s ( when you have to make up products and labels for it) I just don’t feel like doing it and so I quickly write up my method ect and just finish of the product as quickly as possible….

I got AAB during my A-levels and I didn’t get into Med.. but now I wish that I took a gap year and re-applied to med!.. I just don’t know whats going on! I wanted to be a person who solved the problem not giving out medication and refering patients half the time!
    May I ask what school your in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude)
    May I ask what school your in?
    I think he said nottingham in a previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    I think he said nottingham in a previous post.
    Oh Ok. Thanks firestar101.

ReputationRep:
    Medic1992, I feel your pain. I wanted to do medicine myself, but it is such a competitive course, as you know.

Thousands of applicants apply and the competition is intense, and only a 100-200 people or so get in.

But, pharmacy is a great degree also. The prospects are excellent on completion of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Hmm.. Interesting. Did you go into pharmacy thinking it'd kind be he same as medicine?
    You are saving patients/helping solve the problem. If you weren't there, then they'd not ge better as quickly/at all.
    Do the prospects of 'the role of a pharmacist ^is changing' not excite you a little? In that they maybe able to diagnose/do physical exams/proscribe some things?

You also mention you're more into the sciencey biology/chemisty modules. Law/Clinical Skills are a main part of a medical degree.. And I don't even think that much chemisty ^is taught. Perhaps you wouldn't been bored during thr law/clinical skills bit in medicine too

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

you cant reapply with AAB the chances are 2 unis =slim
    i had A*AB and got rejected

ReputationRep:
    For example during my dispensing class’s I was feeling like ‘I couldn’t be bothered’. If I don’t like it or feel this way now then as a future pharmacist I could be the same way and make mistakes and therefore could kill a patient.
    Don't worry, with an attitude like that you'll fail your pre-reg long before you get to that stage

Classic chat nonetheless. I applaud you for being honest.

ReputationRep:
    first year is the most boring year, but it will get better it will be more interesting especially when you go out on your summer placements! (hospital that is )

you can still apply to medicine after graduating with an MPharm...thats if you survive third year.

ReputationRep:
    could anyone please tell me how summer placements work (i.e....how to get one?) and your opinion of it? I would like to know as I will be going to RGU this year (for MPharm). I have looked into the Llyod's pharmacy website (http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wps/po...ationprogramme), but they don't seem to specify the requirements you need to get the summer placement.

EDIT: I looked into Llyod's as I was assuming that Llyod's is a popular Pharmacy Brand in the UK, so that would be true for Scotland as well? Please correct me of I am wrong. I have no clue about this as I am from Canada.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    take some happy pills then or prescription marijuana to cheer you up! :dance:

ReputationRep:
    :hi: Ama2007, could you please tell me how summer placements work (i.e....how to get one?) and your opinion of it? I would like to know as I will be going to RGU this year (for MPharm). I have looked into the Llyod's pharmacy website (http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wps/po...ationprogramme), but they don't seem to specify the requirements you need to get the summer placement.

EDIT: I looked into Llyod's as I was assuming that Llyod's is a popular Pharmacy Brand in the UK, so that would be true for Scotland as well? Please correct me of I am wrong. I have no clue about this as I am from Canada.

Thanks
    All the information is given in the FAQs on that page you linked to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    All the information is given in the FAQs on that page you linked to.
    OMG! :rofl: thank you for notifying me OP. OMG, :cry2: I am so embarrassed of my self now. I can't believe I missed that!

ReputationRep:
    CoolDude, you said you were going into 1st year, right? It is always good to get summer placements, but to be honest, most places will be looking for 3rd years (some take on 2nd years too), as your body of knowledge is a lot bigger by then. What you can do is get a part-time job in a community pharmacy somewhere - not sure what the Scottish equivalent of Lloyds would be, or if Lloyds exists in Scotland, but I'm sure people there will. This kind of thing would give you some really good experience and prepare you for the future, plus it looks good on any CV!

Oh, and as someone said before, watch out for 3rd year. By far the most interesting, but also the most demanding one so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cappu34)
    CoolDude, you said you were going into 1st year, right? It is always good to get summer placements, but to be honest, most places will be looking for 3rd years (some take on 2nd years too), as your body of knowledge is a lot bigger by then. What you can do is get a part-time job in a community pharmacy somewhere - not sure what the Scottish equivalent of Lloyds would be, or if Lloyds exists in Scotland, but I'm sure people there will. This kind of thing would give you some really good experience and prepare you for the future, plus it looks good on any CV!

Oh, and as someone said before, watch out for 3rd year. By far the most interesting, but also the most demanding one so far.
    :hi: cappu34, thanks for the tip. That's a great idea that you have suggested

May I ask what year you're in & what school?

ReputationRep:
    :hi: cappu34, thanks for the tip. That's a great idea that you have suggested

May I ask what year you're in & what school?
    Glad you found it useful

I'm in Manchester, 3rd year. It's a pretty great place, really. Pharmacy is a very good course as well, all you need is persistence and love for the subject I personally swing towards hospital pharmacy and got some places for this summer, but a lot of my coursemates work in community pharmacies (Lloyds, Sainsbury's, Boots etc) and it comes in incredibly useful when you do more patient-oriented stuff on the course.

Are you excited to start? Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Glad you found it useful

I'm in Manchester, 3rd year. It's a pretty great place, really. Pharmacy is a very good course as well, all you need is persistence and love for the subject I personally swing towards hospital pharmacy and got some places for this summer, but a lot of my coursemates work in community pharmacies (Lloyds, Sainsbury's, Boots etc) and it comes in incredibly useful when you do more patient-oriented stuff on the course.

Are you excited to start? Good luck with it!
    Thanks again for your reply yep, I am already wanting to be a hospital pharmacist as well

Yes, super excited!

EDIT: I have sent you a PM

ReputationRep:

Why wouldn't Scotland have a Lloyds?

-We do, for the record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    Why wouldn't Scotland have a Lloyds?

-We do, for the record.
    Haha, no offence meant to Scotland in any way! I've just never been and didn't know whether Lloyds was only found in England or in all of UK.. (In my feeble defence, I'm not British). I probably should have known, and for that I apologise

ReputationRep:
    There is also BOOTS, co-op and Rowlands in scotland too!!!

It is very hard to get a hospital placment but it is VERY useful, i done one in summer and I loved it! it was the best part of my degree!

The worst part of it is the 3rd of May!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.