Turn on thread page Beta

Going out with friend/ future housemate watch

I've been friends with this guy since sept and we get on really well, we hang out all the time. We're even moving into a house next year as part of a big group. The thing is we are really good friends but he's asked me out on a date.
    Do you think its a good ideas to date your flatmates? Anyone got good/bad experiences of this?

ReputationRep:
    If you can really see it going somewhere then go for it. Be careful though- could be messy if it falls apart and then you have to live together!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. my boyfriend and I did this and we're still together, living in the same house. It completely depends though, you just can't tell what's going to happen or even if the relationship is going to go anywhere. I had the same worries, but it worked out. It would be hella awkward if it hadn't though. If you did break up and just couldn't deal with it, I guess you could move out. That, or you'd just have to get on with it. Good luck, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going out with one of my housemates - we moved in together with two mutual friends, and then started seeing each other about two months in. I've heard lots of bad stories, but it's going well for me so far, so I think you may as well go this date.

And if you say no, it will be awkward anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been friends with this guy since sept and we get on really well, we hang out all the time. We're even moving into a house next year as part of a big group. The thing is we are really good friends but he's asked me out on a date.
    Do you think its a good ideas to date your flatmates? Anyone got good/bad experiences of this?
    I signed a contract to live in a flat with a guy I barely new due to very difficult circumstances, start getting to know him, fell in love with him, he asked me out and then broke up with me. That was almost two months ago and I'm still crying over it because I can't move on by cutting him off due to the fact we'll be living together...
    it is certainly something I would not recommend if you can in any way avoid it. Also I used to fancy one of my housemates but wouldn't DREAM of anything happening between us now, it would be wayy too weird and would also make my other housemates uncomfortable I think. After living with him for a while, I got over him very quickly, believe me! You see and hear things from them that you wouldn't if you didn't live with them. Also he's always winding me up by not doing his washing up etc etc etc.
    But that is just my opinion. If it's just a guy 'you get on well with' then I wouldn't risk it, if you're head over heels in love and so is he, then you're going to do it anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.