Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in 1st year and applied for many Spring Weeks and Summer Internships in nerly every major IB in London in January and February this year. I got rejected for nearly all of them.
    I remembered reading in one or two that you are limited to one application every 12 months, but ignored it like an idiot at the time and applied anyway

I will be doing work experience as part of my course next year (starting in March 2012), and would need to be applying for (off cycle?) internships in November of this year, possibly even earlier...

Are my chances with these banks blown because I will have applied in the past 12 months or am I ok because its an off cycle internship for my college course?
    Is there any way around the 12 month application limit?

Please note: My (Irish) university has little or no links with London IBs so no help or loopholes from them

ReputationRep:
    You applied to spring weeks and summer internships at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    You must wait the next application cycle that starts next summer. So no autumn internship this year.
    Some banks, anyway, don't have these limit (credit suisse and rothschild maybe, some others allow you to make 2 applications to different department).
    Don't screw it up next time making multiple applications when they say that you can apply only once a year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    You must wait the next application cycle that starts next summer. So no autumn internship this year.
    Some banks, anyway, don't have these limit (credit suisse and rothschild maybe, some others allow you to make 2 applications to different department).
    Don't screw it up next time making multiple applications when they say that you can apply only once a year...
    I wasnt looking for autumn intenrship, when does this cycle end? My work experience would be starting around March so it would kinda be starting in spring... Would that be in this cycle or the next cycle? I would be looking to apply in November, not work in November

(Original post by Eklipz89)
    You applied to spring weeks and summer internships at the same time?
    For different banks, not all banks do the spring thing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulgeBracket)

For different banks, not all banks do the spring thing..
    The places you applied for spring weeks should not be a problem as anything after September 2011 will be new cycle.

Also limited firms do off-cycle and you should be fine with most, as again March'12 is definitely the new cycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzi Rox)
    Also limited firms do off-cycle and you should be fine with most, as again March'12 is definitely the new cycle.
    Ya but I would be applying before March, probably sometime in late 2011 so that I could start in March; will this be ok for all the banks I applied to?

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking for a spring internship there should be no problem. They are in the next cycle so you should be fine. Keep your eyes on JPM, BNP Paribas, Credit Suisse, Nomura, RBS, Rothschild web sites and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    If you are looking for a spring internship there should be no problem.
    Thanks, it wouldnt be a regular spring internship, however, as it would have to last about 3months to fulfill the college requirements. Would this mean I can apply online as an 'Off Cycle Intership' or would it be better to cold call?

ReputationRep:
    When I say spring internships I don't talk about spring insight or something like that. The JPM spring internship last around 12 and 16 weeks, so it would fulfill your college requirements. Usually a spring internship lasts at least 3 months so it should be ok.
    Keep in mind that, at some banks, they last longer (6 months), and I don't know if it would be compatible with your studies.

I've never cold called so I cannot give you any advice regarding this.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.