Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HIV testing watch

Announcements

basically, im a girl.
    i have had unprotected sex in the past with boys, and i currently have a girlfriend.
    she was raped about 6 or 7 years ago and i know its not very likely that i have HIV but i think it is definitley worth a testing.
    my only question is, can it be done for free anywhere or do you have to pay everywhere now?
    also, i can't have an injection because im petrified. and i know people will say just do it but its a psychological thing, my mind and body simply wont let me have an injection. i kick and scream and run away and everything if one comes near me its just a natural reflex.
    therefore, id need to have the fingerprick test done.
    iv looked on the internet and it says its £100 but surely to prevent the spread of it, it should be free!
    anyone know where i can go??

(Original post by Anonymous)
    basically, im a girl.
    i have had unprotected sex in the past with boys, and i currently have a girlfriend.
    she was raped about 6 or 7 years ago and i know its not very likely that i have HIV but i think it is definitley worth a testing.
    my only question is, can it be done for free anywhere or do you have to pay everywhere now?
    also, i can't have an injection because im petrified. and i know people will say just do it but its a psychological thing, my mind and body simply wont let me have an injection. i kick and scream and run away and everything if one comes near me its just a natural reflex.
    iv looked on the internet and it says its £100 but surely to prevent the spread of it, it should be free!
    its free in clinics

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/3107.asp...CategoryID=126

It shouldn't be £100, you're probably looking at private options. Take a look at the NHS page on 'where to go' above.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it can be done for free at your local GUM clinic, some of them do use a fingerprick but not all do, you'll have to check first.
    Thanks to Russian visa regulations I've had to have a ridiculous number of the things done *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    basically, im a girl.
    Some people

ReputationRep:
    Go to your local clinic.

ahh thanks guys for the help. i will do that

ReputationRep:
    basically, im a girl.
    Search for NHS sexual health clinics/family planning clinics/GUM clinics.

You should be able to get tested on the NHS.

The service may be in your local hospital.

If unsure ask your GP or uni student support services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Yes, it can be done for free at your local GUM clinic, some of them do use a fingerprick but not all do, you'll have to check first.
    Thanks to Russian visa regulations I've had to have a ridiculous number of the things done *sigh*
    -.- I travel to Russia each year, (EU Citizen) never had to be tested for anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    -.- I travel to Russia each year, (EU Citizen) never had to be tested for anything.
    If you're on a Tourist Visa you don't have to, think it's because I'm here for so long but it's definitely a requirement for student visas, I've had to have three already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    If you're on a Tourist Visa you don't have to, think it's because I'm here for so long but it's definitely a requirement for student visas, I've had to have three already
    I see, I dont get Tourist Visa, coz wen u enter the country u have to register and that cost alot. I got family there so I get some other visa

ReputationRep:
    I had mine done for a visa, as well.

At my university health service for students, I had to pay £10, not too bad really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.