Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone use their notes they take in class , from powerpoints or does everyone just learn from a text book cos i just write the notes and then dump them in a file which i never use or loom at?

what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    I tend not to use my notes. When i'm reading from a textbook , i write down a couple of notes but never look at them again. It's mostly because i tend to remember things a lot better when writing it down .

ReputationRep:
    You should use your notes. Notes are a synopsis of what is the texbooks. Teachers tend to give you the most relevant imformation as your notes. There are many things that are in text book which is not entirely relevant to the curriculum. You must take notes, and read them.

You should also read your textbook, especially if you need further explanation on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the textbook usually

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people here can suffice with reading out an A-level text book - which is what I did when doing A-levels. When it comes to more lengthy texts, say a 1500 page physics book of mine for university, that's where the notes really shine.

ReputationRep:
    Textbook + Past papers FTW =D

Notes are only to keep teachers happy, make them give you good predicted grades and stop them nagging at you because they don't want to feel that they're completely useless and can be replaced by a book. You then throw them away as the exam approaches =)

ReputationRep:
    i use my notes for summarisation, it does help a bit, but past papers and questions help a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    I make my notes look all nice with colours, diagrams and highlghters- and never look at then again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reck16)
    Textbook + Past papers FTW =D

Notes are only to keep teachers happy, make them give you good predicted grades and stop them nagging at you because they don't want to feel that they're completely useless and can be replaced by a book. You then throw them away as the exam approaches =)
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I hate my own notes, I don't trust myself enough or the teachers for all the information I need. My notes go in the bin. I read a textbook to revise and then take notes from it, but I don't read over those notes. I use revision cards and as you mentioned and definitely 'for the win!', past papers!

ReputationRep:
    i dont use the notes that i make in class, they usually go in the bin (this could be because more than half of the paper is covered in doodles:mmm: )
    i do make my own notes from the textbook closer to the exam and use them :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snapple)
    i dont use the notes that i make in class, they usually go in the bin (this could be because more than half of the paper is covered in doodles:mmm: )
    i do make my own notes from the textbook closer to the exam and use them :cool:
    Thinking about it, sometimes I will make notes (this has been more recent) nearer the exam and then occasionally use them.

ReputationRep:
    I make notes but I don't think I've ever looked at them again, I just read the revision guide before the exam :P

ReputationRep:
    I stick with the text... even though I write down notes while reading...

ReputationRep:
    it depends how competent the teacher was, if they're bad I trust the textbook/york notes more, if they're good I find my notes are more relevant and written in a way I can understand more.

ReputationRep:
    Textbook + mindmaps = Nice, easy organised revision. And ofcourse past papers but that isn't relevant for this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I do tend to keep my notes and perhaps look over them iffff ive ever made them clear enuff (most teachers tend to rush thru their teaching not allowing u to make u finish ur notes) to explain something otherwise its jsssssst textbook!

ReputationRep:
    i know this will sound very girly but i love making my own notes from the textbook, will highlighters, bright coloured pens and pictures.

just love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Textbook + mindmaps = Nice, easy organised revision. And ofcourse past papers but that isn't relevant for this thread.
    Yesss! This is what I do, just summarise the book into a Mindmap, learn it and do all past papers

ReputationRep:
    never.after i write them i dont go back.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    write them --> burn them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.