Turn on thread page Beta

downshifting after exiting motorway watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Why would they pull to one side under braking? It's not hard to maintain brakes to a standard that the car pulls up straight..
    ISTR it was something to do with cable brakes applying an uneven braking force to different wheels under heavy braking, which could lead the car to pull to one side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Heel and toe sequentially down through the gears. Anticipate long in advance, use engine braking down to a sensible speed and then brake to a stop.

If you time it properly, you will be just about to hit the foot brake when the traffic lights change and you can pull away in the correct gear because you have been shifting correctly.

The thing about causing damage to your gearbox and clutch is utter BS if you can heel and toe (and go down a gear box sequentially).

PS I guess I should say, don't try to heel and toe in a car that has pedals which are staggered. It won't work. But if you are just changing down and using engine braking, you can blip the throttle with your right foot as normal with your left foot on the clutch and rev match.
    Gotta keep the S2K in VTEC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    ISTR it was something to do with cable brakes applying an uneven braking force to different wheels under heavy braking, which could lead the car to pull to one side.
    Mainstream cars haven't had cable operated brakes for a very, very long time. Hydraulic brakes have been the norm since the 40's pretty much, if not earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Err, no they don't? Perhaps you could provide some sources for that claim because even Renault Clio's have 5 gears. :facepalm:
    Are you sure that's not just the torque converter locking out? If not then my bad, I've never driven an auto that has had less lockdowns than gears minus one. Some Googling has shown that up until at least 2004 Clio's had four speed auto boxes. The newer ones may well have more gears, but autos have tradionally had fewer gears than manuals because of the effect of the torque converter. It was common even into the early 90's for autos only to have 3 speeds, let alone 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    Foot off the gas from 70 - 50

Brakes to 40, change to 4th
    brakes to 30, clutch in
    brakes and clutch to 15
    2nd, to stop / go

To be honest it depends which car, but thats the routine I take :-) (It's smooth, and produces no weird noises or smells!)
    why would you break AND clutch from 30 to 15, its not like you are going to stall.

ReputationRep:
    If pedal spacing allows it (i.e. accelerator and brake aren't practically on opposite sides of the bloody footwell), heel and toe down through the box. Otherwise, just downshifting and revmatching until I get close to the end of the sliproad (or traffic in front) and have to brake.

ReputationRep:
    FFS, you're not at the limits of adhesion trying to prevent weight transfer from spitting you off into a gravel trap. Just come off gas, brake gently and downshift to second at the appropriate time. No need for heel'n'toe, no need for rev-matching, no need to go through 4th and 3rd to get to 2nd, just ordinary road driving, not attempting to make 1/1000 of a second difference around Imola. One gear change, one decision thereafter, stop or go.

ReputationRep:
    nuffles, if your brakes on the minor are so rubbish and in effect dangerous (well one hard stop and they are knackered is pretty dangerous to be fair) then why dont you upgrade them to something sensible??

Just thinking otherwise regardless of good driving, your going to have one day an unavoidable accident where brake fade on a down hill country lane means you run into the back of someone and you know it from 1/4 mile away and just cant stop it fully even with the gears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    nuffles, if your brakes on the minor are so rubbish and in effect dangerous (well one hard stop and they are knackered is pretty dangerous to be fair) then why dont you upgrade them to something sensible??

Just thinking otherwise regardless of good driving, your going to have one day an unavoidable accident where brake fade on a down hill country lane means you run into the back of someone and you know it from 1/4 mile away and just cant stop it fully even with the gears.
    I've modified my driving style so that I barely use them along normal country lanes and driving, unless I actually need to stop. For most corners and junctions I'll use a combination of working through the gears and slowing down well in advance (also good for fuel economy) and just use the brakes to actually stop if I need to.

It's already had a servo fitted (god knows what they're like without a servo) and is quite capable of locking all four wheels if you press hard enough, but probably not at the bottom of a long hill, which is why I try not to ride them. For most hills I drop down to third (or second, if it's really steep) and brake for 10 seconds or so, let it roll for 15-20 seconds or so, and then brake for another 10 and so on until I'm at the bottom and this keeps the brakes cool enough to keep them effective.

I could well upgrade the front brakes to Marina discs, but money is a little tight at the moment with insurance coming up next month. I'm scouting for a second job at the moment to make things a little easier so once I have more money coming in each month I'll look at upgrading.

ReputationRep:
    5th is a very long gear in my car so on the slip road I immediately shift to 4th (using rev matching, I don't like shredding my drivetrain) then use engine braking from there.. I don't bother with any further shifts as 4th will go all the way down to 25mph.

ReputationRep:
    I just dont slow down

NEEEEEYAAWWWMMMM 90 milless an hour onto the roundaboutttt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_90)
    I change down gears and use engine braking, a concept that 98% of people don't understand.
    Why is nobody taught to do this in driving lessons? I assumed it was bad; everybody I know is just taught to slow with the brakes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khyuma)
    what do you think is the best to downshift when shifting down by gear like from 5 to 4 etc or do just brake you go straight from 5th to 2nd gear ?
    Surely it depends entirely on how fast you need to go, now you've left the motorway? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    Foot off the gas from 70 - 50

Brakes to 40, change to 4th
    brakes to 30, clutch in
    brakes and clutch to 15
    2nd, to stop / go

To be honest it depends which car, but thats the routine I take :-) (It's smooth, and produces no weird noises or smells!)
    this would be what i believe should be done...

i however love my clutch far too much.... its bad, but its habbit..
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Why is nobody taught to do this in driving lessons? I assumed it was bad; everybody I know is just taught to slow with the brakes...
    The reason is that the DSA mantra is "brakes to slow, gears to go". This is because civilian driver training in this country takes a lot from the police "Roadcraft" manual's "system of car control", which advocates that you set the speed before you set the gear. They also cite gearbox wear and driver fatigue as reasons in support of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I could well upgrade the front brakes to Marina discs, but money is a little tight at the moment with insurance coming up next month. I'm scouting for a second job at the moment to make things a little easier so once I have more money coming in each month I'll look at upgrading.

i hadnt envisiged classic car ownership would involve a near death experience everytime you brake LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_90)
    Gotta keep the S2K in VTEC
    Yep! Pretty much, haha!

Plus it is damn good fun and makes you a better driver, more aware of what is going on than simply using a car, you are driving it. I feel more in control and more in tune with the car.

But different people see cars in different ways and different cars respond to bad input in different ways. Your average rep mobile or eurobox is not going to care if you set the car up, weight transfer and heel and toe, but if you don't do it in a sports car or a classic car you are going to get all tied up very quick and end up with your rear facing the direction you were going as you lock the rear wheels up trying to block change like the good ol DSA teach you, wrongly. Some cars can be driven appallingly and forgive you, proper cars will not look kindly on poor driving. The S2k is certainly one of them, particularly in the wet with no traction control! Come off a motorway slip or go through a country lane and rely on the brakes solely at your peril...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    It's ridiculous, they must just expect 98% of the population to not be able to comprehend it, so don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    It's ridiculous, they must just expect 98% of the population to not be able to comprehend it, so don't bother.
    To be honest, I think 98% of the population see a car as getting from A to B. Those type of people are not going to be interested in mechanical sympathy and proper driving techniques.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    i hadnt envisiged classic car ownership would involve a near death experience everytime you brake LOL
    Keeps life fun and your wits sharp

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.