x Turn on thread page Beta

PhD interview tomorrow.. Advice NEEDED watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Any advice is much appreciated...

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Don't go off on one about penguins and how funny the way they walk is.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Don't go off on one about penguins and how funny the way they walk is.

Hope this helps.
    LOL i wasn't intending to but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Basically just relax and show interest =) The original contribution to knowledge and methodology (and methods) used to achieve are also pretty important for this.

If you are self-funding you could probably sleep through it and still get offered a place. If its a studentship then make sure you have some familiarity with the research topic and can answer the basic questions by this studentship and why this university.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared to talk about your past research projects (dissertations and what not). Be able to reel off the aims and objectives and how they were achieved. If you're aiming to get your dissertation published, say you're working on it, but stress that the PhD would be your priority.

Know recent developments in the field, read recent publications by your potential supervisor, if they gave you a list of papers when you applied, read them.

They don't expect you to know everything about the subject, but you need to show that you know how to conduct research and are (very) interested in the field, so don't worry about getting details wrong, its better to say something you read and get it slightly wrong, than to not say anything about it at all.

You are very likely to be asked why you want to do a PhD in general, why you want to do it at the institution you have applied, and why you want to do the specific topic.

Also be enthusiastic, I know you can't practice that, but seriously, my supervisor told me I got my studentship over someone who was substantially more qualified largely because he thought I wanted it more.

Ask loads of questions.

What is the PhD topic, all these tips refer to sciencey things, I have no idea if they apply to arts or humanities topics too.

ReputationRep:
    There are also not necessarily any "right answers", although the potential methods employed should be similar to the interviewer's fields of interest or expertise on the panel (which quite likely to be anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I remember my PhD (dropped out) interview.... they asked me how my skill sets were relevant to the project at hand. What is it different that I had to bring to the group(research group)?

The basic theory to the topic at hand etc.

Dont forget to research on the group's publications.

This applies only if you are going for a studentship, otherwise if you sleep through it as the guy above me said , it wont matter at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.