Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Gosh, you're so funny!

Unfortunately, some people need reminding.
    Reminding? Graham Norton and Alan Carr on TV at least 2 or 3 times a week!

(Original post by kellymichelle)
    we dont meet up to talk about the fact we're all gay.
    That's even stupider then, considering that if you didn't let your sexuality define you you should have about as much in common with that person as any female you meet in the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phebec)
    I really don't enjoy being lumped in with bisexuals and transgenders, who I feel are nothing more than attention seekers
    you're an attention seeker for making this post.

bit of a difference.
    you dont get discriminated against for your eye colour.
    alot of people do get discriminated against for being gay.
    So the fact you are discriminated against for something should somehow make you proud of that thing? I thought the whole point was you can't help it and shouldn't be discriminated against for it, if you can't help it so much why be proud of it. I think you are all confusing pride with making outward gestures that you have nothing to be ashamed of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's even stupider then, considering that if you didn't let your sexuality define you you should have about as much in common with that person as any female you meet in the street.
    well you wouldnt get it cause ur not gay :s
    you wouldnt meet up with a lesbian to talk about who you think is hot at the moment, would you, so ther you go.
    assuming that you're a heterosexual girl.. or idf youre a boy you wouldnt meet up with a gay man to discuss it..

ReputationRep:
    So the fact you are discriminated against for something should somehow make you proud of that thing? I thought the whole point was you can't help it and shouldn't be discriminated against for it, if you can't help it so much why be proud of it. I think you are all confusing pride with making outward gestures that you have nothing to be ashamed of.
    i didnt personally create pride, you know
    we're a minority, i spose thats why we have it.
    just like people have black history month or whatever.
    its a fun weekend, thats all.

ReputationRep:
    I never said anything against going out to gay bars. Going to a straight bar for a homosexual is about as likely to get them laid as a straight person going to a gay bar, so it makes sense. I just don't understand why a gay builder would instantly get along with a gay lawyer. If they were straight they would never talk or associate unless the builder was on trial. Homosexuals hiving themselves off in these closed communities, like San Francisco, just means that all the other communities have fewer gays and without any gays around them to challenge their prejudice and beliefs the acceptance and equality you claim to crave gets further out of reach.

Hitler made a nice little group of people who were proud to be white, look where that got us. Pride in something you were born being is ridiculous. I'm so proud I have blue eyes, i'm gonna go make a club about it, where they understand what it's like to have blue eyes in a brown eyed world.
    The same way a straight lawyer would get on with a straight builder. Or are people from those two professions not allowed to be friends?

Your second paragraph is so ridiculous, I don't even think I should answer it. But here goes: No minority group achieves anything by sitting down and shutting up. We have to stick together to be heard at all, unfortunately yes there are some people who associate with gay-only circles or whatever, but that doesn't mean we all do. And until I get the same rights as everybody else, I will continue to go to Pride, and I will continue to speak up to ignorant fools.

ReputationRep:
    stop hiding behind anonymous to make these ridiculously stupid posts

ReputationRep:
    The same way a straight lawyer would get on with a straight builder. Or are people from those two professions not allowed to be friends?

Your second paragraph is so ridiculous, I don't even think I should answer it. But here goes: No minority group achieves anything by sitting down and shutting up. We have to stick together to be heard at all, unfortunately yes there are some people who associate with gay-only circles or whatever, but that doesn't mean we all do. And until I get the same rights as everybody else, I will continue to go to Pride, and I will continue to speak up to ignorant fools.

this! well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Reminding? Graham Norton and Alan Carr on TV at least 2 or 3 times a week!
    Touché

ReputationRep:
    And until I get the same rights as everybody else, I will continue to go to Pride, and I will continue to speak up to ignorant fools.
    And with what rights do you not have that straight people do, may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)

marriage.
    also studies have shown in the past that sometimes people are less likely to be employed because of their sexuality.
    adoption.
    gay men cant give blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelifeofbrian)
    ive never understood why transgender is lumped in with lgb because to me, its a completely different thing
    this is exactly what i was writing in a very less making sense way...
    transgender is something completely different to sexual orientation...
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    this is exactly what i was writing in a very less making sense way...
    transgender is something completely different to sexual orientation...
    x
    i do agree but i think its just because it fits under the sexual minority category.

ReputationRep:
    marriage.
    also studies have shown in the past that sometimes people are less likely to be employed because of their sexuality.
    adoption.
    gay men cant give blood.
    Civil partnership. It is simply silly to expect a full blown religious ceremony to just up and change it's tradition and 'rules' if you will, i understand why people want it.. and even though it doesn't affect me i'd still like it, however i can understand why it's not allowed.

Employment is smaller than discrimination because of disability or gender, in fact the topic is so small that it hardly appears anywhere near as much in the news etc as the previous examples to the point where i who hread papers and websites and such very often cannot even remember an article about it.

Can't give blood?
    Please do your research, there are plenty of scientific real facts and evidence for that.

Adoption thing is just wrong. Gay's can adopt.
    https://www.newfamilysocial.co.uk/about-us/

ReputationRep:
    Gay couples do not get the same recognition as straight couples, in terms of marriage, civil partnerships, although to be fair I also think straight couples should be entitled to a civil partnership if they so wish.

Homophobia is not taken as seriously as other types of widespread discrimination, racism for example. I pressed charges against someone for a homophobically-aggravated offense last summer, and was told that had the offense been racially aggravated, the punishment would automatically have been harsher. This does not happen for homophobically-aggravated offenses.

Children are only ever taught about heterosexuality in school. I realise that this is beginning to change, but the lack of information readily available to young gay people who otherwise might not know where to look is frankly shocking.

ReputationRep:
    Civil partnership. It is simply silly to expect a full blown religious ceremony to just up and change it's tradition and 'rules' if you will, i understand why people want it.. and even though it doesn't affect me i'd still like it, however i can understand why it's not allowed.
    The Homosexual Community is not requesting Churches to recognise Homosexual Marriages. They asking the government to recognise homosexual marriages. Since governments around the world has seen it fit to recognise marriage in law then at the very least they shoudn't discriminate on who they recognise. Governments have no moral authority in enforcing religious doctrine. Civil Partnerships aren't seen as being enough and I don't see why they can't simply add the title of married to homosexual couples who have chosen to merge their tax details.

ReputationRep:
    marriage.
    gay men cant give blood.
    No. Men who have had anal or oral sex with another man cannot give blood. Same for women who've have sex with men who've had anal or oral sex.

It is not a sexuality thing (I say this as a lesbian. And most importantly: as a scientist who has both microbiology and blood bank/transfusion experience). HIV is still an issue with blood transfusions and so high risk groups (including MSM, those who have had sex in countries were HIV is rife such as subsaharan Africa, those who have recently had piercings or tattoo or IVDUs) are not permitted to give blood because one HIV+ donor could infect 20 odd others with HIV.

Because of it's latency it can take six months for HIV to show up on a viral load test and the potential risk is just too high.

I'm all for equality, but in this? Current medicine will have to change dramatically before I will agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazykipper)
    No. Men who have had anal or oral sex with another man cannot give blood. Same for women who've have sex with men who've had anal or oral sex.

It is not a sexuality thing (I say this as a lesbian. And most importantly: as a scientist who has both microbiology and blood bank/transfusion experience). HIV is still an issue with blood transfusions and so high risk groups (including MSM, those who have had sex in countries were HIV is rife such as subsaharan Africa, those who have recently had piercings or tattoo or IVDUs) are not permitted to give blood because one HIV+ donor could infect 20 odd others with HIV.

Because of it's latency it can take six months for HIV to show up on a viral load test and the potential risk is just too high.

I'm all for equality, but in this? Current medicine will have to change dramatically before I will agree.
    Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it would still increase this risk by 60%.

Enough said.

EDIT: Just kinda trying to.. emphasise what you said lol :P

Obviously they could be friends. But I doubt they'd have many areas of overlap in life, and they aren't likely to have many shared interests or shared friends. I think you've achieved what you wanted to achieve. Society is on the right tracks and chugging along nicely. It's just a case of waiting for the older bigots to die now, and getting out into the wider community so that people can see how normal you are.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.