Turn on thread page Beta

I'm gay but hate the LGBT acronym watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Easily. I know of gay bars that you can't enter unless you've proven yourself gay, with your mouth or your ass.

I know of people who have been rejected from lesbian bars because they were "too pretty to be lesbian" and this was with their girlfriends.

People enjoy rejecting people and making themselves feel good at the expense of others. Being gay doesn't mean you have to be nice to gays or even lesbians. This idea that they are some amazing community with a great respect for each other is silly. They're as fractured as any community which bases itself on superficial interests.
    I suppose i just don't see the logic in it. I don't understand how any type of people who want equality deserve it, when they don't want other's to have equality. I suppose i feel it almost hypercritical.

Although note i'm not saying Gay people should not have equality, or are hypercritical. I'm not judging their opinions. I guess 'm just struggling to understand where such views come from.

Gay people really do seem to get a lot of stick from the gay community =/...that's just something i don't understand either. I mean i can see that people don't have to unite and be the best of friends because of a shared fight for equality...but i'd still have anticipated a bit more support at least...

It'd be like Mandella fighting for Black people's rights, but fighting against other parts of Africa wanting the same rights :/...Doesn't seem like a fight for equality, but superiority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlllll)
    How can she not identify as a lesbian. She IS a lesbian surely? I don't get this ?

If anything genderqueer sounds wierder...

I thought I couldn't call gay's queers because they all took offence to it.

because technically if someone doesnt see themselves as a girl, then they are not a girl.
    if someone says they are not a gender, then they are no gender, therefore, they are not a lesbian, or a gayboy, they are just gay or homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    It's not for you to say if he's gay is it? Get over yourself.

Why should gay people automatically be equated with transgender folk?

Explain that, or lose the condemnatory tone.

hes admitted that he created the thread as a troll, so i was right anyway... tool.

ReputationRep:
    Gay men typically hate me :lol: I'd love to know why though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellymichelle)
    hes admitted that he created the thread as a troll, so i was right anyway... tool.
    Even if he was making it up, it doesn't stop his point being valid, nor yours insulting.

If I was gay, I would find it incredibly insulting to be lumped in with transgenders.

That is as a result of thinking. Of the logical kind.

Or does my being straight prevent me from having empathy, a skill I would magically be imbued with if I was a homosexual which would mean that I was automatically more open minded towards transgenders?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay, but at the end of the dya, we're all humans so it doesn't matter to me if i'm lumped into an acronym¬

ReputationRep:
    Shut up kellymichelle

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.