Turn on thread page Beta

Why are racists obsessed with the army? watch

ReputationRep:
    Racist groups (or xenophobes) like the BNP/EDL in the UK and similar groups abroad always make a big deal about supporting the armed forces and getting angry when people criticise soldiers. Why is this? Is it because racists tend to be white working class men? If so, why do white, working class (young) men tend to be racist? They're not poor because of foreigners, getting rid of non-whites won't make them better off because they're poor as a result of capitalism so logically they should be communist no?

You see this in tabloid papers as well, especially the more racist ones tend to be more supportive of the troops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Racist groups (or xenophobes) like the BNP/EDL in the UK and similar groups abroad always make a big deal about supporting the armed forces and getting angry when people criticise soldiers. Why is this? Is it because racists tend to be white working class men? If so, why do white, working class (young) men tend to be racist? They're not poor because of foreigners, getting rid of non-whites won't make them better off because they're poor as a result of capitalism so logically they should be communist no?

You see this in tabloid papers as well, especially the more racist ones tend to be more supportive of the troops.
    Ouch, you're potentially gonna get some stick for this thread :P

But i've wondered the same :P I think there's a link between extreme patriotism and racism, i.e "I love my country, why are there other foreign people in my country taking my jobs, *racist comments*" and "I love my country, my army risks their life for the safety of my country, don't offend them."

otherwise I dunno... it's interesting.

ReputationRep:
    They like the idea of shooting brown people?

They like to remember the glory days of the Empire?

Idk

eta: To whoever negged me, I never suggested all military types were racists. My comment refers only to the racist military types, which I'm sure are a small minority.

ReputationRep:
    i think you might be confusing being a racist and being patriotic

ReputationRep:
    This thread is unworthy of my participation. It is worthy only of my scorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)

Equal amounts of women are racist as men! but men tend to voice it more.

ReputationRep:
    Nationalism and racism require a similar prejudice that one group is 'better' than another, regardless of the actual differences.

But obviously you can support the troops without being a nationalist or a racist (although I don't).

Well in many cases patriotism leads to believing other countries/races are inferior to your country/race I suppose in some cases.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.