Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks ago (maybe 5) I slammed the bottom of my clenched hand off a wall in anger.. Anyway now whenever I put any weight on my wrist in specific ways I get quite a sharp pain in the bottom of my hand and wrist, usually it is fine.. I can even do weightlifting with it but put weight on it in some specific ways and it is extremely painful and takes 30 minutes-an hour for it to settle down again.

Any ideas on what it is/what to do?

ReputationRep:
    How about not hitting walls? They tend to hit back harder....

Could you have pulled a muscle in it? I did in my leg once and I was fine unless I moved it in a particular way and then it hurt like hell. If it keeps up you might want to get an x-ray and see if anything is broken etc.

ReputationRep:
    guess what i'm gonna say...

Spoiler:
    Show
    see a doctor.

theres obviously something wrong with it

ReputationRep:
    Stop ****ing so hard!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, no idea. If only we had people trained to advise and treat such problems.

ReputationRep:
    Stop lifting weights. I know it's a big thing to say, but my mate hurt his wrist, kept going to the gym and now he's out of the gym for months as he's messed up his wrist so bad. I also hurt my wrist, took some time of the gym to let it recover and then was fine. Every time you lift a weight awkwardly and hurt your wrist, that's you going back to square one.

Let your wrist rest, it may take a while but It will heal. If it doesn't, go doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bcx)
    Stop lifting weights. I know it's a big thing to say, but my mate hurt his wrist, kept going to the gym and now he's out of the gym for months as he's messed up his wrist so bad. I also hurt my wrist, took some time of the gym to let it recover and then was fine. Every time you lift a weight awkwardly and hurt your wrist, that's you going back to square one.

Let your wrist rest, it may take a while but It will heal. If it doesn't, go doctor.
    I never get an issue in the slightest when doing so though?

It's random things like leaning on the table in the kitchen etc.. where I get sharp pain.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a scaphoid fracture - this is one of the bones in the base of your hand on the thumb side, and it's quite easy to break it, normally by falling onto your outstretched hand, but hitting a wall would probably do it too. I think you should go to A&E tomorrow and get it x-rayed. The blood supply to that bone is quite odd, so breaking it can cause longer term problems, so it's worth getting it checked out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.