Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys:
    this is bothering me so much, it's the stupid tv license.
    first of all, I bought tv license in 2009. I turned it on for less than 10 times in the whole year and only in the first few months, It has no interest to me. so I decided not to buy the tv license as I don't need it. I think there're plenty people who can live happily without tv in this modern society where internet is so advanced.
    the other day,there was this guy came to my door, he said there's an important delivery for me and tricked me into giving my name. then we had a short conversation. got to say he's so rude, treating me like a real criminal and threatened if I don't let him in, i will be prosecuted. the conversation was short, I did not answer many questions, I did not sign anything, I did not let him in because I think I can't trust this guy.
    However, I did try to corporate by emailing the tv licensing team saying I don't need a tv, they can send another one to check.but the first letter I recieved is a threatening letter saying they have evidence that I used tv without license. it says i should pay immediately, otherwise would have to face prosecution. I ignored the letter. they sent me another letter asking me if I need a license, if not , don't need to reply. so I ignored the letter. but they never send anybody here again to check.
    so last week, I got the summon. the so called witness statement is all ****ing made up, it says 'an aerial is admitted to be installed', and says 'I admitted to be watching tv without license' and all other bull**** which I never had said!!!
    Did anyone have similar experience? does anyone knows any solicitor who had been dealing with these? I would rather pay a few hundred pounds for a lawer to defend my case than giving in to this total bullying!

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to my second cousin in wales
    Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    The same thing happened to my second cousin in wales
    Good luck with it
    BBC has no shame, the witness statement is so obviously made up, who would be so stupid to admit using tv without license knowing it's against the law. so many things is made up in the witness statement. however I did not sign it. won't give in to this bullying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintintintin)
    Hey guys:
    this is bothering me so much, it's the stupid tv license.
    first of all, I bought tv license in 2009. I turned it on for less than 10 times in the whole year and only in the first few months, It has no interest to me. so I decided not to buy the tv license as I don't need it. I think there're plenty people who can live happily without tv in this modern society where internet is so advanced.
    the other day,there was this guy came to my door, he said there's an important delivery for me and tricked me into giving my name. then we had a short conversation. got to say he's so rude, treating me like a real criminal and threatened if I don't let him in, i will be prosecuted. the conversation was short, I did not answer many questions, I did not sign anything, I did not let him in because I think I can't trust this guy.
    However, I did try to corporate by emailing the tv licensing team saying I don't need a tv, they can send another one to check.but the first letter I recieved is a threatening letter saying they have evidence that I used tv without license. it says i should pay immediately, otherwise would have to face prosecution. I ignored the letter. they sent me another letter asking me if I need a license, if not , don't need to reply. so I ignored the letter. but they never send anybody here again to check.
    so last week, I got the summon. the so called witness statement is all ****ing made up, it says 'an aerial is admitted to be installed', and says 'I admitted to be watching tv without license' and all other bull**** which I never had said!!!
    Did anyone have similar experience? does anyone knows any solicitor who had been dealing with these? I would rather pay a few hundred pounds for a lawer to defend my case than giving in to this total bullying!
    Don't worry about it, make a complaint that it is all made up, they have no right to enter your house if you aren't using TV.

EDIT - alright alright I was wrong about the radio :rolleyes: Nobody seems to know what is legal and what isn't legal on this thread tbh, none of you know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need a TV licence for a radio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    Don't worry about it, make a complaint that it is all made up, they have no right to enter your house if you aren't using TV. Just be aware that if you have a radio in your house you need to pay TV licensing for this too - is it possible that you have used the radio without paying your license?
    :rolleyes:

Tripe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    you don't need a TV licence for a radio.
    I don't use a radio either, if I want to check news, I can simply open my computer and get the latest news. I read book, I chat with friends over the internet, I play psp, there're plenty things I do instead of watching tv.

ReputationRep:
    Quite sickening really.
    Just in case they try to lie to you further, you CAN watch things on YouTube, iPlayer, 4oD, etc without needing a TV license.

'You don’t need a TV Licence if:
    You don’t watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a
    TV Licence.'

ReputationRep:
    just to clarify, you need a tv licence for watching LIVE television broadcasts on your computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbytotherescue)
    Quite sickening really.
    Just in case they try to lie to you further, you CAN watch things on YouTube, iPlayer, 4oD, etc without needing a TV license.

'You don’t need a TV Licence if:
    You don’t watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a
    TV Licence.'
    I don't even use these youtube or iplayer, the thing is, I'm a chinse, there are similar softwares in china which I use to watch the main chinese channels, but this is not broadcasting, and it's for free. BBC is so pathetic to gain money by employing capita to threaten people to force them to buy tv license, and all the ****ing lies on the witness statement, just pissed me off.

ReputationRep:
    There's more to this than meets the eye.
    If you admitted to watching live Chinese TV broadcasts then you need a TV license.

ReputationRep:
    FYI you can watch live TV without a license, but the requirements are very specific.

1) Your permanent place of residence must be elsewhere (e.g. parents' house)
    2) Whoever pays the bills at your place of permanent residence must have a valid TV license.
    3) The device you watch TV on must not draw its power from the mains. In other words, it must be a portable device.

According to these criteria you may be able to watch live feeds on your laptop at uni, depending on what they mean by 'drawing power from the mains', and provided your parents have a TV license. I looked into all this last year when we had TV licensing concerns so I'm fairly confident of its accuracy.

OP, they're just trying to scare you. If you've told us everything and what you have said is the truth, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    There's more to this than meets the eye.
    If you admitted to watching live Chinese TV broadcasts then you need a TV license.
    it's not live chinese tv, and it's not broadcasted.it's web based.pre-recorded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    FYI you can watch live TV without a license, but the requirements are very specific.

2) Whoever pays the bills at your place of permanent residence must have a valid TV license.
    3) The device you watch TV on must not draw its power from the mains. In other words, it must be a portable device.

According to these criteria you can watch live feeds on your laptop at uni, provided your parents have a TV license. I looked into all this in second year of uni so I'm fairly confident of its accuracy.

OP, they're just trying to scare you. If you've told us everything and what you have said is the truth, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
    but I heard the judge is in favour of them, and they only give you 10 mins for you to say something. what I'm worrying about is that this will be my first experience in court. however their solicitor is sophisticated in these cases. they certainly know many tricks to make you say something wrong.
    I called the court ,although this is a criminal case, they won't give me any legal aid. they say this is a minor case, however , if I lose, I'll get criminal record, I heard everyone is entitled to legal aid for a criminal case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)

According to these criteria you may be able to watch live feeds on your laptop at uni, depending on what they mean by 'drawing power from the mains', and provided your parents have a TV license. I looked into all this last year when we had TV licensing concerns so I'm fairly confident of its accuracy.

youre quite clearly drawing power from the mains when using your laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    youre quite clearly drawing power from the mains when using your laptop.
    but I don't watch live tv, the chinese web based program is not covered by tv license. only the live program shown on tv that you watch on the internet is covered by tv license.

ReputationRep:
    but I heard the judge is in favour of them, and they only give you 10 mins for you to say something. what I'm worrying about is that this will be my first experience in court. however their solicitor is sophisticated in these cases. they certainly know many tricks to make you say something wrong.
    I called the court ,although this is a criminal case, they won't give me any legal aid. they say this is a minor case, however , if I lose, I'll get criminal record, I heard everyone is entitled to legal aid for a criminal case.
    Not any more thank god. Cases like yours shouldn't be a drain on the public purse.

ReputationRep:
    The judge is not in favour of anyone. It's his job to be impartial. I can't comment on the rest, other than to say that any half-decent solicitor should be able to deal with it.

I find it a little surprising that they've been so quick to press charges, but if you have in fact given all the relevant information I don't see what problem you might have presenting a defensible case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Not any more thank god. Cases like yours shouldn't be a drain on the public purse.
    what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    no of course not! for a start it's means tested and then it must pass the 'interests of justice' test which looks at the nature of the case. (risk of custody)

fyi only about half of defendants in magistrate's court qualify !

you can qualify automatically if youre under 18 or on benefits, which i assume you arent.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.