Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just exactly what does the summons say because according to you it is based on a conversation only and no one gained access to your premises so there cannot be any proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    The judge is not in favour of anyone. It's his job to be impartial. I can't comment on the rest, other than to say that any half-decent solicitor should be able to deal with it.

I find it a little surprising that they've been so quick to press charges, but if you have in fact given all the relevant information I don't see what problem you might have presenting a defensible case.
    the witness statement is hilarious , it says I admitted aerial is plugged in and on standby, it says I admitted watching tv without license, who would be so stupid? it's so obviously made up, it really pissed me off, thank god I didn't sign the notes. god knows what they're going to put on the witness statement. besides, I emailed them back saying they can send someone here to check, they never did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    youre quite clearly drawing power from the mains when using your laptop.
    Well your laptop can store power. I think it's borderline; could be argued either way depending on what they mean. Obviously the ultimate source of the power is the mains, but if your laptop is unplugged while you're watching the TV it's drawing its power from the internal battery.

I think the prototypical case they were outlining for exception would be where the device is powered by non-rechargeable batteries. The laptop case is debatable though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Just exactly what does the summons say because according to you it is based on a conversation only and no one gained access to your premises so there cannot be any proof.
    that's right, they made up a date between 27/10 to 28/11 saying I used tv reciever . but no actual evidence is given except the falsified witness statement which I did not sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Well your laptop can store power. I think it's borderline; could be argued either way depending on what they mean. Obviously the ultimate source of the power is the mains, but if your laptop is unplugged while you're watching the TV it's drawing its power from the internal battery.

I think the prototypical case they were outlining for exception would be where the device is powered by non-rechargeable batteries. The laptop case is debatable though.
    you're missing the point, if you use the laptop to watch youtube,it's not covered by tv license, so you don't have to buy a tv license for that. only if watch live program which is shown on tv ,then you'll have to buy the tv license.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a a tv? Was the guy able to see the tv from the doorway? Is it tuned in? I really don't see what evidence they have. This stuff about them being able to detect whether you're watching the tv is bull**** unless your neighbours are a fair distance away.

ReputationRep:
    If there's no proof, don't worry. If you receive anything official saying you need to pay a fine or go somewhere, call the number and fight your case.
    Just make sure you're always clear. If you are NOT watching any LIVE tv, you do not need a license. If you maintain that you don't do this, and make sure you DON'T, then they can't prosecute you.

I've had friends receiving threats that they're going to search the address before, and it never happens. They mostly try to scare people into paying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Do you have a a tv? Was the guy able to see the tv from the doorway? Is it tuned in? I really don't see what evidence they have. This stuff about them being able to detect whether you're watching the tv is bull**** unless your neighbours are a fair distance away.
    I do have a tv, but rarely turned it on, I told him only use it for dvd, but very rarely,and that ******* put in the notes saying I watch live tv and have aerial which I told him I don't. my neighbour downstairs use tv frequently, I doubt they really use the detection. besides, the results from the detection can not be used as a proof, because it's always an estimation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintintintin)
    you're missing the point, if you use the laptop to watch youtube,it's not covered by tv license, so you don't have to buy a tv license for that. only if watch live program which is shown on tv ,then you'll have to buy the tv license.
    I don't know what all this discussion is about in this thread.

From what you are saying:
    1. You don't use a TV. You don't own a TV (it doesn't matter, even if you do though).
    2. You didn't pay for a license this year.
    3. Some guy came and tried to trick you into letting him into the house, you refused.
    4. You recieved a summons with a fake witness statement.

What I would reccomend is to take the summons to a solicitor. That is your best bet. He will deal with it.

You can write to them yourself, setting out your exact version of events. Keep it very brief and simple - no long winded ****.

Just tell them what happened and why they have no case against you and that you DO NOT admit to having a tv. State exactly where in the statement their employee has lied that is relevant.

Most likely they will then drop it, as they have no evidence. Also in the letter point out that the burden of proof is on them and they have no evidence and you refute any suggestion of requiring a TV license.

Point out you are Chinese too and that you don't watch English TV. It will strengthen your case.

Address this letter to both the TV licensing authority and the CPS (if it is them who is bringing the case). Ring the magistrates court up and find out from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    If there's no proof, don't worry. If you receive anything official saying you need to pay a fine or go somewhere, call the number and fight your case.
    Just make sure you're always clear. If you are NOT watching any LIVE tv, you do not need a license. If you maintain that you don't do this, and make sure you DON'T, then they can't prosecute you.

I've had friends receiving threats that they're going to search the address before, and it never happens. They mostly try to scare people into paying.
    I already got a summon, they're prosecuting me with a falsified statement without actual proof.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're missing the point. There are very specific provisions which provide for exception to the general rule. The debate is whether laptop use falls under those criteria. Read my first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    I don't know what all this discussion is about in this thread.

From what you are saying:
    1. You don't use a TV. You don't own a TV (it doesn't matter, even if you do though).
    2. You didn't pay for a license this year.
    3. Some guy came and tried to trick you into letting him into the house, you refused.
    4. You recieved a summons with a fake witness statement.

What I would reccomend is to take the summons to a solicitor. That is your best bet. He will deal with it.

You can write to them yourself, setting out your exact version of events. Keep it very brief and simple - no long winded ****.

Just tell them what happened and why they have no case against you and that you DO NOT admit to having a tv. State exactly where in the statement their employee has lied that is relevant.

Most likely they will then drop it, as they have no evidence. Also in the letter point out that the burden of proof is on them and they have no evidence and you refute any suggestion of requiring a TV license.

Point out you are Chinese too and that you don't watch English TV. It will strengthen your case.

Address this letter to both the TV licensing authority and the CPS (if it is them who is bringing the case). Ring the magistrates court up and find out from them.
    I doubt the tv licensing authority would drop the case, I believe many top people in the company knows their employee using a rather nasty way to threaten people to buy tv license. but thanks for the advise, I'll write to them as well.

ReputationRep:
    keep ignoring it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    keep ignoring it.
    it's a summon, can't ignore it, got to go to the court

ReputationRep:
    I already got a summon, they're prosecuting me with a falsified statement without actual proof.
    Then you either reply/call them expaining that they can't have any evidence against you as you DON'T watch ANY TV, or you get a solicitor to sort it out for you.
    Either way, if you know you haven't watched any tv, you shouldn't have a problem at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the tv licensing authority would drop the case, I believe many top people in the company knows their employee using a rather nasty way to threaten people to buy tv license. but thanks for the advise, I'll write to them as well.
    Trust me, contact before hand. When they realise that they will lose the case they will drop it.

The letter has to be worded in a certain way. Make them think that it is not worth them prosecuting because they will have to pay costs.

Write the initial letter in your own name, but in the final paragraph mention that if you do not recieve an adequate response you will instruct your solicitor and they will have a costly prosecution if they are to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Then you either reply/call them expaining that they can't have any evidence against you as you DON'T watch ANY TV, or you get a solicitor to sort it out for you.
    Either way, if you know you haven't watched any tv, you shouldn't have a problem at the end of the day.
    calling them won't do, because I emailed them saying I don't need a tv license because I don't watch any tv, and I allowed them to send someone here to check, which they never did!!! the first letter I recieved from them after telling them I don't need a tv license is a threatening letter saying they have evidence that I watch tv. says I should pay immediately to avoid prosecution, this is how they deal with it. keep threatening you !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    youre quite clearly drawing power from the mains when using your laptop.
    How?
    If the laptop is running on battery power then you aren't drawing power from the mains.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a tv, but rarely turned it on, I told him only use it for dvd, but very rarely,and that ******* put in the notes saying I watch live tv and have aerial which I told him I don't. my neighbour downstairs use tv frequently, I doubt they really use the detection. besides, the results from the detection can not be used as a proof, because it's always an estimation.
    If you have neighbours downstairs, then they have no proof. You should go and make sure your tv is only tuned in for the dvd player and not to receive the tv signal, otherwise if they find that it is then that would be pretty strong evidence against you. As it is they don't have a leg to stand on and the case should be thrown out in no time at all. Just make sure you keep your story consistent, which shouldn't be difficult as long as you're not a complete retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Trust me, contact before hand. When they realise that they will lose the case they will drop it.

The letter has to be worded in a certain way. Make them think that it is not worth them prosecuting because they will have to pay costs.

Write the initial letter in your own name, but in the final paragraph mention that if you do not recieve an adequate response you will instruct your solicitor and they will have a costly prosecution if they are to lose.
    That i will do.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.