Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    you don't need a TV licence for a radio.
    Neg rep=some ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    Just do everything they ask you to do and speak to citizen's advice about your situation, try to put it to the back of your mind. To be honest it sounds like a stupid prank - British Gas keep sending my boyfriend letters in the post claiming he owes them £500 when his house isn't even supplied by gas! Everything runs on electricity from a different supplier, and they've sent out numerous engineers to read their invisible gas meter, all leaving scratching their heads as to why they were even called out by the company.

It might be a situation like that for you, it could just be down to poor communication of the TV licence company and they think it is you that haven't paid when actually they have it all wrong.
    You're wrong, you should never communicate with these companies, you can only ignore them, they bully you more if you corporate more. the nicer you're , the more they want to squeeze you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintintintin)
    You're wrong, you should never communicate with these companies, you can only ignore them, they bully you more if you corporate more. the nicer you're , the more they want to squeeze you out.
    Ignoring makes them pester us more, actually. We never gave them any money and they stopped when we made a formal complaint. I'm not wrong, I am talking from my experiences with this company in particular. You circumstances are different.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring makes them pester us more, actually. We never gave them any money and they stopped when we made a formal complaint. I'm not wrong, I am talking from my experiences with this company in particular. You circumstances are different.
    I did give formal complaint, now look what situation I'm in

ReputationRep:
    i spoke to quite a few of them, all of them said they don't take the summons. guess I will stand on my own. they don't have a piece of evidence. I didn't sign the witness statement, there're many points to argue
    Unfortunately, that may be the only option left. Go to your university/student's union for advice (that's exactly why they are there), they may be able to get a solicitor for you, or at least advise you on what to do. As above, best not to communicate with the company as you can guarantee that they will try and trick you into admitting liability. If you do need to communicate, do it in writing via recorded delivery, be very careful what you write and keep copies of everything.

The court will understand that you have no experience in self representation, they will advise you on the procedures and will give you a lot of leeway to make you feel comfortable (especially if you come in well prepared and don't look like the typical chavs that they normally have to deal with). Generally magistrates' trials are fairly straightforward, however it is very daunting the first time (speaking from experience!) It always used to be the case that you were entitled to have the duty solicitor from the courtroom represent you for free regardless of the case, but I suppose the tories have cancelled that one as well.

There is plenty of advice on how to do things on the internet (although take it with a pinch of salt as chances are its not coming from a qualified person with your best interests in mind). Also, because you are a student, you will have access to your library's legal resources which will be helpful in picking up the basics, try and find something written in layman's terms.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys:
    the so called witness statement is all ****ing made up, it says 'an aerial is admitted to be installed', and says 'I admitted to be watching tv without license' and all other bull**** which I never had said!!!
    Maybe the bit about admitting 'watching tv without a license' is with regards to your comment about when you first brought the TV with the licence. It would be worthwhile finding a copy of the original licence from that time period (more evidence against the licensing authority).

ReputationRep:
    I did give formal complaint, now look what situation I'm in
    Well sorry for trying to give you advice, I have no idea what your circumstances are so a "thank you for your help but unfortunately that won't work for me" would be nice. There's just no pleasing some people.

ReputationRep:
    where abouts do you live? this would be helpful to know to advise on a solicitor

I think you've a fair enough case. TV Licensing isn't my strong point but I would have thought any statement taken from you for the purposes of a criminal proceeding would have to be taken when under PACE caution. If this hasn't been done then there's an argument of evidence being ruled out due to the Law of Evidence. And if this person trespassed on your property then there is issues there too.

ReputationRep:
    Well sorry for trying to give you advice, I have no idea what your circumstances are so a "thank you for your help but unfortunately that won't work for me" would be nice. There's just no pleasing some people.
    my bad, sorry, I was trying to make a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fascination)
    where abouts do you live? this would be helpful to know to advise on a solicitor

I think you've a fair enough case. TV Licensing isn't my strong point but I would have thought any statement taken from you for the purposes of a criminal proceeding would have to be taken when under PACE caution. If this hasn't been done then there's an argument of evidence being ruled out due to the Law of Evidence. And if this person trespassed on your property then there is issues there too.
    first of all, he tricked me into giving my name by saying there's an important delivery for me.
    He was rude throughout the conversation and using a threatening tone rather than expressing the terms.
    and almost the whole witness statement he gave is made up.
    however, I did not give any signature. many of my friends said the so called 'witness statement' cannot be tendered as evidence as I didn't sign, everything on the witness statement is by his bare words.
    and all the evidence they have is the witness statement.
    So do you have more advice please?

ReputationRep:
    Did he quote PACE and officially caution you?
    As for tricking you there may be something in that if he did not establish who he was.
    Did you let him into the premises or did he force his way in?
    If they take it to court it will be in front of Magistrates and so if you are confident, well researched and can appeal to their human side (yes they are humann) you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, make a complaint that it is all made up, they have no right to enter your house if you aren't using TV.

EDIT - alright alright I was wrong about the radio :rolleyes: Nobody seems to know what is legal and what isn't legal on this thread tbh, none of you know what you're talking about.
    Well even if you are in fact watching TV without a licence, they don't have the right to enter your house or do anything.

They are bullies the BBC pays to trick you into buying their services, and that's ALL THERE IS. In fact their job description is salesman.

ReputationRep:
    As for tricking you there may be something in that if he did not establish who he was.
    If they take it to court it will be in front of Magistrates and so if you are confident, well researched and can appeal to their human side (yes they are humann) you should be fine
    he did not quote PACE or whatever, this I'm sure. I did not let him in, he made up the statement, everything is by his bare words,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Well even if you are in fact watching TV without a licence, they don't have the right to enter your house or do anything.

They are bullies the BBC pays to trick you into buying their services, and that's ALL THERE IS. In fact their job description is salesman.
    I agree, they're just threatening people to buy it, made up statements and other nasty tricks i believe.

ReputationRep:
    In which case you point out any evidence he provides is nullified by his having not cautioned you under PACE guidelines. Express to the magistrates your disappointment that their time has been wasted and emphasise your willingness to be interviewed under caution whilst recorded.
    You could also state that they have no evidence you do or do not possess a television that is tuned in to programmes. Request that they provide you with evidence and if they do not show you any ask for an adjournment until such a time as you have been able to review the evidence against you.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the BBC. It's the TV licensing authority. they aren't the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)

Yeah you're definitely right about that.

ReputationRep:
    'As a result of a FOI request, the BBC have released the Visiting Procedures handbook issued to all inspectors. This documents the procedures they are required to follow on each visit:

1. Always prove their identity by showing their identity card and, on request, provide a telephone number so that this can be confirmed.
    2. Always state why they are visiting.
    3. Be polite and courteous at all times (this extends to any notes written about the customer/interviewee on the Visit Request).
    4. Conduct enquiries firmly and fairly and in the least intrusive way possible.
    5. Never threaten or intimidate, and to stop the enquiry if asked to leave.
    6. Only enter a property when given permission.

If you feel that an inspector has breached any of these guidelines, you may wish to lodge a complaint with TV Licensing. '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyForeigner)
    It's not the BBC. It's the TV licensing authority. they aren't the same thing.
    They are seperate entities technically, but their interests are aligned.

The TV Licensing Authority's under hand tactics have been highlighted on numerous occasions in the past and are well known.

The BBC has never spoke out about the issue or addressed the problems, which I think it has a shared duty to do so. The TVLA are a bunch of thugs, nobody expects anything good out of them on the other hand.

ReputationRep:
    In which case you point out any evidence he provides is nullified by his having not cautioned you under PACE guidelines. Express to the magistrates your disappointment that their time has been wasted and emphasise your willingness to be interviewed under caution whilst recorded.
    You could also state that they have no evidence you do or do not possess a television that is tuned in to programmes. Request that they provide you with evidence and if they do not show you any ask for an adjournment until such a time as you have been able to review the evidence against you.
    do you mean asking them to present the evidence in the court?

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.