Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyForeigner)
    It's not the BBC. It's the TV licensing authority. they aren't the same thing.
    It's the BBCs lackey. "‘TV Licensing’ is a trade mark of the BBC and is used under licence by companies contracted by the BBC to administer the collection of television licence fees and enforcement of the television licensing system."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    'As a result of a FOI request, the BBC have released the Visiting Procedures handbook issued to all inspectors. This documents the procedures they are required to follow on each visit:

1. Always prove their identity by showing their identity card and, on request, provide a telephone number so that this can be confirmed.
    2. Always state why they are visiting.
    3. Be polite and courteous at all times (this extends to any notes written about the customer/interviewee on the Visit Request).
    4. Conduct enquiries firmly and fairly and in the least intrusive way possible.
    5. Never threaten or intimidate, and to stop the enquiry if asked to leave.
    6. Only enter a property when given permission.

If you feel that an inspector has breached any of these guidelines, you may wish to lodge a complaint with TV Licensing. '
    the ******* at least breached most of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    'As a result of a FOI request, the BBC have released the Visiting Procedures handbook issued to all inspectors. This documents the procedures they are required to follow on each visit:

1. Always prove their identity by showing their identity card and, on request, provide a telephone number so that this can be confirmed.
    2. Always state why they are visiting.
    3. Be polite and courteous at all times (this extends to any notes written about the customer/interviewee on the Visit Request).
    4. Conduct enquiries firmly and fairly and in the least intrusive way possible.
    5. Never threaten or intimidate, and to stop the enquiry if asked to leave.
    6. Only enter a property when given permission.

If you feel that an inspector has breached any of these guidelines, you may wish to lodge a complaint with TV Licensing. '
    that ******* breached most of them, well, I emailed them saying I don't need a tv license and allowed them to send someone to come and check, but instead they sent a threaten letter saying they have evidence, asking me to pay immediately. which I ignored, the next thing came up is the summons.
    thanks for these info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fascination)
    In which case you point out any evidence he provides is nullified by his having not cautioned you under PACE guidelines. Express to the magistrates your disappointment that their time has been wasted and emphasise your willingness to be interviewed under caution whilst recorded.
    You could also state that they have no evidence you do or do not possess a television that is tuned in to programmes. Request that they provide you with evidence and if they do not show you any ask for an adjournment until such a time as you have been able to review the evidence against you.
    they have only the falsifed witness statement which I did not sign , and the claimed 'detection' of tv reciever which I'm 100 percent made up, I don't believe the so claimed 'signal detection' can be used as evidence. it just appears on the offences. they don't have a single piece of real evidence against me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintintintin)
    do you mean asking them to present the evidence in the court?
    (Original post by fascination )
    XXX
    Most of what the guy said about evidence is pretty much correct, but I disagree with the 'caution' part.

I don't think that the TVLA guy can arrest you or caution you or that he has to.

From the little I know, it is possible to be summoned for such offences without being formally arrested.

However, it is correct that you have a right to review any evidence before the trial date and that all evidence that the CPS has must be disclosed to you. This includes anything which they do not seek to rely on in the case or anything that could even be potnetially damaging to their own case.

Otherwise, if they present anything that hasn't been disclosed to you before hand - you are able to rely on s.72 PACE 1984 (Police and Criminal Evidence Act) to have the specific evidence struck out. You may want to check the section number.

But I don't really see them relying on anything but the witness statement already disclosed to you, so its probs irrelevent.

I think you should focus more on the facts:
    a) you are genuinely not guilty; and
    b) the witness statement is full of lies.

Obviously you need to back up whatever you are going to say with evidence.

ReputationRep:
    they have only the falsifed witness statement which I did not sign , and the claimed 'detection' of tv reciever which I'm 100 percent made up, I don't believe the so claimed 'signal detection' can be used as evidence. it just appears on the offences. they don't have a single piece of real evidence against me.
    You can easily question the credibility of the signal detection evidence. I am sure you can find plenty about that on the net about how it is very weak evidence.

Also, tell them you will disclose copies of the emails you sent to the TVLA to the court; inviting them to come and inspect your property through the proper channels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Most of what the guy said about evidence is pretty much correct, but I disagree with the 'caution' part.

I don't think that the TVLA guy can arrest you or caution you or that he has to.

From the little I know, it is possible to be summoned for such offences without being formally arrested.

However, it is correct that you have a right to review any evidence before the trial date and that all evidence that the CPS has must be disclosed to you. This includes anything which they do not seek to rely on in the case or anything that could even be potnetially damaging to their own case.

Otherwise, if they present anything that hasn't been disclosed to you before hand - you are able to rely on s.72 PACE 1984 (Police and Criminal Evidence Act) to have the specific evidence struck out. You may want to check the section number.

But I don't really see them relying on anything but the witness statement already disclosed to you, so its probs irrelevent.

thanks for the advice, I also read this somewhere which says I can challenge their right to prosecute me as they're paid by bbc to do the job which means they're not the 'informant', they don't have the right to prosecute me. what do you think about this?
    All the contacts I made with them is the short conversation upon which they used to build the lies. and the emails I sent to them saying I don't need tv license and allowing them to send the inspector which they didn't do. however, they did not enclose these emails as evidence, I believe they don't have other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You can easily question the credibility of the signal detection evidence. I am sure you can find plenty about that on the net about how it is very weak evidence.

Also, tell them you will disclose copies of the emails you sent to the TVLA to the court; inviting them to come and inspect your property through the proper channels.
    thanks for the advice. I already sent the summon form ,I listed many points and I also mentioned that I emailed them, however they did not follow the procedure ,they had chosen to send me a threaten letter and then take me straight to court after I ignored it.

ReputationRep:
    don't have one, the tv is old ,doesn't come with one, I only use the tv for dvd, but rarely. if there's a good movie like avatar, I go to imax to see it.
    Don't say that to the judge - it is a serious offence to lie in court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Don't say that to the judge - it is a serious offence to lie in court.
    I don't lie, it's the truth, my tv is a very old one, doesn't come with aerial, I only used it for dvd, but very rarely, I'm a chinese ,don't watch british tv, there're plenty free chinese channels over the internet. and I went to imax many times.

ReputationRep:

Anyone can bring about criminal proceedings in the courts at their own expense. This is what happens with TVL. Similar to the RSPCA.

Cautioning someone isn't arresting them; anyone can caution someone and henceforth any evidence gained is admissible in court. For organisations such as the TVL and RSPCA who are going to carry out a private prosecution a caution is necessary. NOTE a CAUTION not an ARREST.

Get yourself down to Citizens Advice Bureau OP and they will be able to provide you with FREE LEGAL ADVICE. They could also send someone into court with you to advise you.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just read this article from 2005 and I find it utterly deplorable. Investigators are paid a bonus based on the number of "confessions" they obtain in a month.

The four people later complained when they were summonsed to court for TV licence dodging.

Llewellyn denied four charges of false accounting and one of acts which could have perverted the course of justice.

However, the jury of five men and seven women found him guilty of all five counts.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...#ixzz1IjWoSi6B
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    Don't worry about it, make a complaint that it is all made up, they have no right to enter your house if you aren't using TV.

EDIT - alright alright I was wrong about the radio :rolleyes: Nobody seems to know what is legal and what isn't legal on this thread tbh, none of you know what you're talking about.
    You could try this- i dont know how far you will get with it though. You should have replied to the other letters earlier though.
    But it seems that there is more to this story than meets the eye

ReputationRep:
    I don't lie, it's the truth, my tv is a very old one, doesn't come with aerial, I only used it for dvd, but very rarely, I'm a chinese ,don't watch british tv, there're plenty free chinese channels over the internet. and I went to imax many times.
    I think he was implying that avatar wasn't a good film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick1sHere)
    I think he was implying that avatar wasn't a good film
    I think it's all right for an imax movie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You could try this- i dont know how far you will get with it though. You should have replied to the other letters earlier though.
    But it seems that there is more to this story than meets the eye
    reply to which letters? one of the letters is a threatening letter, the other also implied I should buy a tv license. well, I didn't ,because I don't watch tv, why should I waste 145 pounds every year on a service that I don't use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Well I just read this article from 2005 and I find it utterly deplorable. Investigators are paid a bonus based on the number of "confessions" they obtain in a month.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...#ixzz1IjWoSi6B
    I believe they would sell their mama for a fair price. I wonder how much bonus they're getting for setting people up like this. thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fascination)
    Anyone can bring about criminal proceedings in the courts at their own expense. This is what happens with TVL. Similar to the RSPCA.

Cautioning someone isn't arresting them; anyone can caution someone and henceforth any evidence gained is admissible in court. For organisations such as the TVL and RSPCA who are going to carry out a private prosecution a caution is necessary. NOTE a CAUTION not an ARREST.

Get yourself down to Citizens Advice Bureau OP and they will be able to provide you with FREE LEGAL ADVICE. They could also send someone into court with you to advise you.
    thanks, but I tried the community legal service and also talked to a few solicitors, they all say that they don't deal with these cases

ReputationRep:
    I meant saying that Avatar is a good film = lying. It was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    I meant saying that Avatar is a good film = lying. It was a joke.
    Now I get it, sorry.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.