Turn on thread page Beta

The whole idea of predicted grades and unis seems quite unfair watch

ReputationRep:
    I really dont like the idea of predicted grades when it comes to A levels.

So let me get this straight, your place is basically determined on your first year of AS? If you do exceptional in your first year, your obviously gonna get great predictions and be accepted by your uni. But what if you do **** at the end of A2?

This is what is worse though, and completely kills the whole system.

What if the teachers always doubt you and your ability? Predict you crappy grades, miss out on your first choice uni but work your ass off and get great grades at the end of A2? That seems like a hardworking and determined student to me.. However it seems this doesnt matter as they judge you on your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    if you do well at AS, youve worked hard and are good. if you dont do well, you either havent worked or arent able to get good grades. which of those two cases deserves to go to uni?

if you do badly at the end of A2 despite having good predictions, you miss your offer...?

if you disagree with your teachers prediction, you can complain to people above their head. if they predict you the same grade at A2 as you got at AS, you cant complain. in reality, A2 is harder than AS so you cant expect them to predict higher than you got at AS level.

edit: btw, predicted grades are one of the things they judge you on, along with AS results, GCSEs, personal statement, extra curriculur activies in some cases, in some cases interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Don't complain.

I went to a school, where the bone-headed policy was to refuse to tell candidates their predicted grades (as it "would lead to pupils pestering teachers") result was total chaos, and people making either unrealistically high, or wastefully modest UCAS applications. Also a big waste of money and time visiting universities that you had no chance of getting in to.

Damaged the education of a lot of people. A lot of sixth formers got no offers. Others could have done better with the grades they did get.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely agree!

ReputationRep:
    You do have the option of not applying for university until you actually have your final grades, if this bothers you that much. Predictions are always going to be potentially flawed, and universities vary in how much importance they place with them, but can you think of a better way of assessing whether someone is likely to get their grades?

If you "do **** at the end of A2", you'll miss your offer. Simples.

(Original post by BTNH)

So let me get this straight, your place is basically determined on your first year of AS? If you do exceptional in your first year, your obviously gonna get great predictions and be accepted by your uni. But what if you do **** at the end of A2?

What if the teachers always doubt you and your ability? Predict you crappy grades, miss out on your first choice uni but work your ass off and get great grades at the end of A2? That seems like a hardworking and determined student to me.. However it seems this doesnt matter as they judge you on your predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    I find the discrepancies between how they are predicted ridiculous as well

- my sister's school predicted you the grade you got at AS, no negotiation
    - the school my mother works in predicts their student one grade BELOW their AS grade, no negotiation
    - my college generally went for the AS grade + 1 for prediction, but really they'd do whatever you wanted them to, with one of my friends getting a D at AS and managing to convince them to predict her an A.

Crazy! There should be a fixed rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTNH)

I did dreadful at AS level! I went from 5 AS levels to 2 A2's - only just as well. My resits weren't very good either. But I have been predicted 2 C's and I had 3 offers frm it. It is an immense pressure which has caused me anxiety problems and I actually fainted in my jan resits cause of it.
    Tbh I agree with you. Its just not a fair system *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    It really is a stupid system. When I first received my predictions I was told I was expected to get a C/D in A level Mathematics.... I obtained an A. And to make matters worse, my teachers told me there was no chance I'd get an A. One of them even told me to reconsider my course choice because he didn't think I'd cope with the (very minor) quantitative aspect.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Predicted grades are a laughable system. At my school they would predict one higher than what you got at AS, two higher if you asked nicely.

Even if they were accurate, i do not see why unis use them. Say an applicant is predicted a 'DDD' when your standard offer is 'BBB'. If they do somehow miraculously turn it around to get BBB, doesn't that make them just as (if not more so) deserving of a place at your university? Shouldn't you just give them a 'BBB' offer anyway?

References were even more of a joke - at my school they were either completely standardized (as in, literally the same for everyone) or standardized to the point where they were utter tripe. e.g. 'X's attendance was moderate/good/excellent. X performed reasonably/well/very well in class and got moderate/good/excellent grades' (literally, delete as appropriate on screen).

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.