The Student Room Group

Domino's pizza anyone???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Tommyjw
you are the only person i have ever seen that is trying to say Macs are not of high quality?

OOOH, could you quote me where I said that?

My actual argument is simply that Domino's is poor value for money; that better pizza can be purchased at a cheaper price from an independent takeaway, and the reason it is popular is not because it is comparatively better quality, but is because it is a well-known and heavily advertised brand and because people are too lazy to find a better alternative or simply unaware that they exist. This is a well-known phenonenon, and the reason that franchising works so well. Take a normal coffee shop, double the prices and skimp on the quality, but stick a starbucks sign on it and sales will increase rather than decrease, simply because its a known brand and the majority of consumers are, frankly, idiots.

C'mon, you're studying business. Surely you've studied the dynamics behind marketing, franchising, brand awareness, that kind of thing? And yet you fall into the exact same trap yourself when discussing Domino's.
Reply 121
Original post by WeekendOffender
Sorry for targeting you, but could you explain why you think it's rewarding to have a structured, detailed debate about the price of pizza? Don't you think that's a waste of time and energy?

Well, it was mostly about the quality :rolleyes:

One fool said people prefer pizza's from independant places, provided no evidence at all and continues to ignore that, as well as ignoring the popularity of the business and fact it is chosen over other similar ones.

The same perosn who is also trying to claim that Apple Mac's aren't of a high quality :rolleyes:

When a person is simply so foolish as to say things such as this, he needs to be told right (:
Reply 122
Original post by py0alb

My actual argument is simply that Domino's is poor value for money; that better pizza can be purchased at a cheaper price from an independent takeaway, and the reason it is popular is not because it is comparatively better quality, but is because it is a well-known and heavily advertised brand and because people are too lazy to find a better alternative or simply unaware that they exist. This is a well-known phenonenon, and the reason that franchising works so well. Take a normal coffee shop, double the prices and skimp on the quality, but stick a starbucks sign on it and sales will increase rather than decrease, simply because its a known brand and the majority of consumers are, frankly, idiots.

C'mon, you're studying business. Surely you've studied the dynamics behind marketing, franchising, brand awareness, that kind of thing? And yet you fall into the exact same trap yourself when discussing Domino's.

The time you two have spent arguing could surely be better spent eating pizza? :rolleyes:
Reply 123
Original post by py0alb

'Popularity is so often defined by habit and marketing strategy, not by product quality. Domino's is one of the ultimate examples of this, along with Apple computers
'
To shorten it - Dominoes is popular because of marketing and consumer habits, not quality. Just like Apple.
Problem?

Poor value for money =/= low quality.

Nowhere have i stated it is good value for money, at all, so i fail to see why that whole paragraph is even there and simply no need to respond to it tbh.
Reply 124
Original post by hwalker37
The time you two have spent arguing could surely be better spent eating pizza? :rolleyes:

I would become extremely fat if I spent as much time eating as I spend arguing with idiots.

We're not really arguing about pizza anyway, we're arguing about the demand curve, and whether it can be shifted by anything other than the quality of the good or service (it can, as any economist will tell you).
Original post by Tommyjw

Quality then, I'm sorry. I didn't read through it all. :wink:

Original post by Tommyjw
One fool said people prefer pizza's from independant places, provided no evidence at all and continues to ignore that, as well as ignoring the popularity of the business and fact it is chosen over other similar ones.

The same perosn who is also trying to claim that Apple Mac's aren't of a high quality :rolleyes:

When a person is simply so foolish as to say things such as this, he needs to be told right (:

I would understand if you were a spokesperson for Domino's or Apple, but is it really worth your time? Anyway now I'm getting drawn into this ****e. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Reply 126
Original post by Tommyjw

Except... I didn't say either of those things. So either you're a liar, or you're too stupid to tell the difference between that and what I actually said.
Reply 127
Original post by py0alb
I would become extremely fat if I spent as much time eating as I spend arguing with idiots.

You define arguing as you posting points with no evidence and points that contradict facts? Bless :rolleyes:
Reply 128
Original post by py0alb
Except... I didn't say either of those things. So either you're a liar, or you're too stupid to tell the difference between that and what I actually said.

Hehe, you are so funny :colondollar:

''Popularity is so often defined by habit and marketing strategy, not by product quality. Domino's is one of the ultimate examples of this, along with Apple computers'

'Yes it is well known to be low quality pizza. It gets destroyed in every blind taste test I have read about. ' - when talking about dominoes against independent places.
People picking something over dominoes = people preferring it. So uh, ye you did say it ;D
Original post by Tommyjw
'Popularity is so often defined by habit and marketing strategy, not by product quality. Domino's is one of the ultimate examples of this, along with Apple computers
'
To shorten it - Dominoes is popular because of marketing and consumer habits, not quality. Just like Apple.
Problem?

Poor value for money =/= low quality.

Nowhere have i stated it is good value for money, at all, so i fail to see why that whole paragraph is even there and simply no need to respond to it tbh.

are you still around peddling nonsense? (okay what you said above is probably right), but still you got completly pwned last time we debated!
I agree, Domino's is rip-off expensive.

£17 could buy you dinner in a fancy restaurant!

Plus I've always found the sides/desserts are horrible.

And why pay their rip-off prices for a fizzy drink? probably cheaper almost anywhere!
Original post by Tommyjw

''Popularity is so often defined by habit and marketing strategy, not by product quality. Domino's is one of the ultimate examples of this, along with Apple computers'

'Yes it is well known to be low quality pizza. It gets destroyed in every blind taste test I have read about. ' - when talking about dominoes against independent places.
People picking something over dominoes = people preferring it. So uh, ye you did say it ;D

I see you are not atually debating people, you are just insulting them, at least on the plus side youv got beyond "embarrasing", and your not at the grammer nazi level yet.
Reply 132
Original post by Tommyjw

If you can't tell the difference between saying "the popularity of product x is determined more by marketing than quality" and "product x is low quality"., then I genuinely fear for your degree results. Consumers are willing to pay more for a Mac than a PC of equivalent quality because it has been extremely well marketed. Do you deny this?

Success in a blind taste test is not the same thing as popularity. blind taste tests indicate high quality, but as I mentioned above, there are many more factors in popularity than simply product quality. Again, I would have thought this obvious.
Reply 133
Original post by QuantumOverlord
I see you are not atually debating people, you are just insulting them, at least on the plus side youv got beyond "embarrasing", and your not at the grammer nazi level yet.

What you quoted has no insult in it? xD Confused.

But anyway.. i'm.. glad you are back? :P
Reply 134
Expensive but worth every single penny :biggrin:
Original post by Tommyjw
What you quoted has no insult in it? xD Confused.

But anyway.. i'm.. glad you are back? :P

I wasnt directly refering to the quoted post, but you have earlier in this thread. Anyway, shall we let bigons be bigons? I know you made a fool of youself earlier, but I atually agree with you this time round :tongue: Wouldnt it be nice to debate on the same side.
Reply 136
Original post by py0alb
If you can't tell the difference between saying "the popularity of product x is determined more by marketing than quality" and "product x is low quality"., then I genuinely fear for your degree results. Consumers are willing to pay more for a Mac than a PC of equivalent quality because it has been extremely well marketed. Do you deny this?

Success in a blind taste test is not the same thing as popularity. blind taste tests indicate high quality, but as I mentioned above, there are many more factors in popularity than simply product quality. Again, I would have thought this obvious.

Windows laptops does not have 'equivalent quality' to a mac.
Windows laptops has better tech specs, plays games better etc.
But it does not run as well. It does not last as long. It does last as long on it's battery. It is not as efficient. This is what product quality actually is. Fact.

I did not say it is about popularity.
It is about preference.
You said people picked other pizza's instead of dominoes in a blind taste test.
Thus, you are saying they prefer it.
Thus, you are saying people prefer the taste of it.
Thus, like you said you didn't you DID say people prefer those pizza's.

Really not that hard to understand.
That is, ignoring the fact you have no evidence for these tests ;D
Reply 137
Domino's in the US is so much nicer, and cheaper.

I ordered a large pizza the other night, on a proper deep pan base, I think it cost something like $15.99? So just under £10 basically.
Reply 138
There is no domino's or pizza hut where i live :frown: I am a deprived individual :P
Reply 139
Loving this thread :biggrin: It's encouraged me to have one tomorrow :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest