Turn on thread page Beta

I want a hormone test! What is wrong is wrong with me!? watch

Basically I have been to my GP countless amounts of time. I have had countless blood test but all have come back normal. I am confident that I have something wrong with my hormones. I suffer from the following symptoms -

Severe hair loss
    Severe anxiety (always anxious even when in 'calm' moments)
    Dull skin
    Poor healing skin
    Acne
    Poor circulation (cold hands and feet)

All these point to hormones. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, how old are you?

Second, hair loss, skin problems (which is dull skiin, poor healing skin and acne), blood circulation are problems that could be due to loads of reasons. Especially if you are young.

Third, it could be that you are anxious because of all these problems, or even because of something else. And one form for the body to respond to this is exactly this: bad skin and hair loss. Especially if you are between 15-20 I could imagine this to be true. Since this is simply a phase in live of reinvention and all kinds of strange things.

I mean, I really think you should take into account that it's psychological. Maybe it's not. Get a hormone test and you see if it's the hormones. But I would consider it.

(Original post by GAguy)
    First of all, how old are you?

Second, hair loss, skin problems (which is dull skiin, poor healing skin and acne), blood circulation are problems that could be due to loads of reasons. Especially if you are young.

Third, it could be that you are anxious because of all these problems, or even because of something else. And one form for the body to respond to this is exactly this: bad skin and hair loss. Especially if you are between 15-20 I could imagine this to be true. Since this is simply a phase in live of reinvention and all kinds of strange things.

I mean, I really think you should take into account that it's psychological. Maybe it's not. Get a hormone test and you see if it's the hormones. But I would consider it.
    Thanks for this reply. I am 23 and started losing my hair and getting my acne at 16! I think you might be right. Do you think anxiety is causing these problems?

ReputationRep:
    Thinking outside the box here....

Could be your diet.

Do you get your 5 a day? and drink plenty of water?

ReputationRep:
    Could easily be diet - drinking plenty of water, eating enough fruit/veg, getting enough vitamins?

Otherwise it could be stress/living conditions.

ReputationRep:
    all of those things are so common you could almost consider them normal.

I'm not saying that there is no single underlying cause, just that there might not be.

if you feel that anxiety is causing you problems, maybe you need to be on some anti-anxiety medication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for this reply. I am 23 and started losing my hair and getting my acne at 16! I think you might be right. Do you think anxiety is causing these problems?
    The things is, I have had the same since I was young. I get acne on my back and dandruff when I get stressed out. In my case there are two factors to the problem though. It does get worse when I am stressed, and when I was younger I got even more stressed because of these things, so it was like an endless cycle.
    But now that I'm older I also realise that (as mentioned by someone here) my diet plays a big role and whether I get enough sunlight or not. Most importantly: Lots of water! Second sunlight. If I don't have that, even in calm weeks my skin gets bad.

So, drinking lots of water will always help, it's the most important thing your body needs.
    But yes, just like it is for me, your anxiety could be causing these problems and equally these problems could be contributing to your anxiety.

I'm not saying they are, because I'm not a doctor and I don't know your lifestyle well enough, but these kind of problems are very typical.

I would recommend the following:

- Healthy diet and see how it goes
    - See a skin doctor (don't know the English word) even if it is because of your anxiety or diet, they can give you a cream against the acne when it occurs and shampoo to help your hair (some may not even be subscription but you would never know which type would help you without their help)
    - Do something about your anxiety. What you choose is your option. But please please please don't take these anti anxiety pills. At least not without thinking about it properly. Many people get hooked on them. It's essentially the same as giving someone alcohol whenever he feels bad. Of course he will feel better when he drinks because that's what alcohol does. But you don't want a substance to control you. These pills don't cure anxiety, they are just a way of dealing with it (a ****ed up way imo).
    You could choose to see a psychiatrist or deal with it your own way, whatever works for you.
    - the blood circulation, no idea. sorry I don't know if there's a fix for it for when it occurs.

ReputationRep:
    skin doctor = dermatologist
    I would recommend loads of water, fruit, vegetables (anything with loads of Vitamin A and such)... for anxiety maybe it's from too much energy? I recommend exercise...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.