The Student Room Group

Do new born have personality?

Hi guys,

I am just beginner...
Can somebody point some resources that discuss when personality is visible in new born?
Do they have personality from the first moment or is that visible only after days or months or years?

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Reply 1
Have a look at Freud's theory of personality development, but beware a lot of his theories have been discredited.

This might be able to help: http://allpsych.com/psychology101/personality.html
Reply 2
Thanks NeonSkies,

I know about Freud theories... a little.
He has a strange perspective which is not of much use to me - not to mention that his ideas are not main trend now.
But I will certainly take a look maybe I can get a useful indication.

Cheers
Reply 3
I'm a strong freudian, but I also believe in the interactionist approach. That's like say, the baby has innate characteristics which are modified and even refined by environmental experience. Both quite interesting :smile:
Original post by Jonerez
I'm a strong freudian

Why?
Reply 5
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Why?

I'll get the popcorn ready.
Reply 6
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Why?

Because he wants to sex up his mum. :teehee:

No, they don't.
Reply 7
Apart from me wanting to sex my mum up (heh), I just think they're really interesting. They cant really be proven or disproved which is rare i guess. Some of them seem to make sense, although i'm not fond on the electra/oedipus complex!

I also sway towards biopsychology aswell. I don't know where i belong!
Original post by Jonerez
Apart from me wanting to sex my mum up (heh), I just think they're really interesting. They cant really be proven or disproved which is rare i guess. Some of them seem to make sense, although i'm not fond on the electra/oedipus complex!

I think Freud is quite interesting, but in no way do I think it's true. But you're right, it's not falsifiable...yet!

Original post by Jonerez
I also sway towards biopsychology aswell. I don't know where i belong!

Biopsychology however, now that is my thing!

Quick Reply

Latest