Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Genetic and enrivonmental factors please ?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    because one might have their father's eyes, mother's nose, father's ears, mother's chin, father's mouth
    the other might have their mother's eyes, father's nose, mother's ears, father's chin, mother's mouth

that's gotta produce two very different looking kids I must say!

or just more simply, one might look mostly like their mother, and the other might look mostly like their father

or .....well there are loads of genetic combinations that could produce two very different looking kids. The only way you'd get kids that are guaranteed to look the same, is if the parents look the same, which is very unlikely.

I mean, yes a lot of the time siblings DO have similar features. My kids all have similar features. But it's not a sure thing or anything.

My husband's nieces look nothing alike. One looks like her father, and the other looks like her mother. They're like chalk and cheese, totally different.

ReputationRep:
    the both have 50% of each parents DNA but unless they are identical twins then siblings won't have the same 50%.

ReputationRep:
    I look nothing like my parents, but look a lot like my grandfather. Weird stuff, I was convinced I was adopted at one point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    The only way you'd get kids that are guaranteed to look the same, is if the parents look the same, which is very unlikely.
    Not even then, really! Like, you can get a blue eyed child from two brown eyed parents, for example- but not the other way round.

Like two brown haired parents could have a ginger child because of a great-great auntie.. there are loads of past generations genes to be considered- just because a trait isn't displayed doesn't mean the allele isn't carried for it!

Soo complicated, confuses me badly lol!

ReputationRep:
    i've always wondered this!
    both of my parents have (or in my dad's case, HAD) brown hair, hazel coloured eyes, and medium height,
    and all my brothers and sisters have brown hair, brown or hazel coloured eyes, are of average height, my father's larger teeth and his big nose.

.......then there is me: i have my mother's nose and small teeth, but i have green eyes, i was born with blonde hair (now grey though - even though im the youngest of my brothers and sisters, they all still have their original brown hair colouring), and i'm at least 15+ cm taller than the lot of them ¬_¬ however all of us have inherited my father's high hairline!

the only possible reasons i can think of - both of which are environmentally-related:
    - parents had quit smoking by the time my mother was pregnant with me
    - my 2 brothers + 3 sisters were all conceived and born in my homecountry's capital city, whereas i was conceived and born in a smaller, less polluted area.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Not even then, really! Like, you can get a blue eyed child from two brown eyed parents, for example- but not the other way round.

Like two brown haired parents could have a ginger child because of a great-great auntie.. there are loads of past generations genes to be considered- just because a trait isn't displayed doesn't mean the allele isn't carried for it!

Soo complicated, confuses me badly lol!
    aye that's true, recessive genes can come out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.