Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like some advice on whether I should make an attempt to appy for a MA degree in a subject not related to my undergraduate degree.
    At the moment I am doing an IT degree, but I would like to do a masters degree in history. The trouble is that I know that I will have a slim chance of being accepted since the subjects are at opposite ends of the scale. I have made an enquiry with a university and they say I definately should apply.
    I really am interested in applying, but I can't help feeling that the learning styles between the two subjects will be too different and that I won't grasp the learning style quickly enough.
    Despite this, I am still really interested in applying because I love history, i'd just like some advice - should I or shouldn't I apply?

ReputationRep:
    Sure. It's pretty common to do a Masters in an unrelated subject to the undergrad programme. Some Masters programmes may be specifically designed to consider minimal prerequisite knowledge in the subject anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a specific course at a specific university in mind (which it sounds like you do) then check their entry requirements to make sure they don't require a degree in a relevant subject. If not then there's no harm in applying. There will likely be a lot of outside reading and essay writing, but assuming you're aware of this fact then I don't see any harm in applying.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.