Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford or Cambridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Can any successful applicant of oxford or cambridge comment on the MAT/STEP respectively?
    MAT is much easier, but it's meant to be. It's designed to be accessible to people who have only taken AS level maths, at the start of year 13, without much preparation. STEP II/III are designed for people who have taken maths + FM, are taken at the end of year 13 and you are expected to prepare thoroughly if you want to do well.

I saw a statistic somewhere that said that successful applicants averaged 75% on this test- given that 40% of the paper is in the form of 10 four mark multiple choice questions that shouldn't really be answered incorrectly...well...i don't think it would overly be a problem.
    It's harder when you're actually doing it. >_>

The STEP on the other hand, though i've only spent perhaps 30 minutes sampling it, looks like a completely different beast. Could anyone direct me to what they might expect of a competitive applicant to attain on this test?
    I think four good solutions are expected for a 1, so 45 minutes per question. You need to practise STEP questions a lot if you want to do well: you can't expect to just pick up a paper, look through it for half an hour and make much/any progress.

Presumably the average score of successful applicant in the STEP would be lower than that of a successful applicant of Oxford's MAT to compensate for the test's clearly greater difficulty? Or is Cambridge maths really just harder to get in?
    Yes, it's harder to get in to Cambridge. That's not to say that the students are of a higher quality, or that you're more likely to get in if you apply to Oxford, but the amount of work you need to do to get into Cambridge is much greater.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.