Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This could come across as incredibly patronising, but I kinda feel I should put it out there.

Essentially, if you've got rejections this time around, don't get disheartened.

Last year, I applied to Durham, Oxford, St. Andrews, Warwick and Leeds to study English Literature.

I got rejected after an interview at Oxford and got rejected from St. Andrews, Leeds and Warwick. Somehow I lucked into an offer from Durham, which was amazing. I went to the open day, loved it and was ecstatic about how things had worked out.

Then exams came. I thought I had messed everything up royally, and guessed I would come out with AAB (History, English, Politics). I spent the summer getting trashed and trying not to think about it (Haters gonna hate).

On results day, I came out with A*A*B ( and an A* in General Studies). However, the B was in English Lit, as I got a D in the final exam, which meant that I was rejected by Durham as I fell short of their offer and, as the B was in the subject I applied to do, they couldn't be flexible.

Suitably devastated, I looked into doing English courses through clearing, and nowhere inspiring came up, but Queen Mary had places available in History, so I called them up, and after a phone interview I got in.

Clearing is not a pleasant process, but at least I'd got in somewhere, thankfully I was lucky.

I started at QMUL, met some amazing people, but the course was crap and not at all challenging.

So I decided to go through the hell of UCAS again, with a resit. I applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham and St. Andrews, and was rejected from everywhere except KCL before my resit result had even come through, and then like 3 weeks passed; I'd given up hope, but again I lucked into an offer, about a week ago.

So where does this rambling lead?

1) Even if you do get an offer it doesn't finish there (Not that I thought it did, I just had a terrible exam)
    2) There are always options; I'd never even heard of QMUL before results day, and I've had a good year there.
    3) Don't give up hope, even if you've got no offers. Like I've literally just said, there are always options.

I'm sorry if this seemed incredibly patronising and/or boastful, I just thought that at this time of year, people might need reminding that all is not lost.

ReputationRep:
    Probs a good idea to put an insurance choice down just in case things like this do happen too. You got fantastic grades don't get me wrong but some people aim too high for what they have (not you, but some people) and need to get insurance choices with grades lower than what they expect just in case.

ReputationRep:
    True that, I royally messed up with my uni choices, leaving me with only 1 offer despite my good predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    Moral of this story: Don't get a D in English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    Got a D in your course of choice? Looks like Slough Polytechnic would be a better fit.

ReputationRep:
    A very boastful post MountainSpring. Im in awe of your academic achievements there. I mean, straight rejections first round, and then straight rejections save QMUL in clearing? Thats fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Really sad, didn't receive any London offers this year. I would rather take a gap year and reapply as I want to stay in London. ie UCL or Kings. Such a shame LSE don't do english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bricks)
    Got a D in your course of choice? Looks like Slough Polytechnic would be a better fit.
    No. Got a B in my choice of course. Learn to read.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.